Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2022, 09:38 AM - 5 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
"Nervous bokeh" is something you'll recognize when you see it, and I have a lens or two that has it. But overall, in my eyes, most bokeh is good bokeh. Even (especially?) donut bokeh from my mirror lens.

Congrats on your new gear, and be sure to post up some photos when you can.
Here are some first shots with te21mm. Not much to photograph as everything is dormant, but I found some tiny flowers, and an insect! These are heavy crops, and I think I used a bit too much contrast.

11-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the new to you lens! Glad I could help sow the seeds of your destruction (at the hands of the Limited lenses)!
11-08-2022, 03:10 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
Congrats on the new to you lens! Glad I could help sow the seeds of your destruction (at the hands of the Limited lenses)!
Ha! I will enjoy using more primes, and classy primes at that! I am thinking of getting the 40 and 70 next, then in 2024 getting the 15 and 35 with my 25 year work anniversary bonus. Who knows, I will see what happens and go with what I can! I didn’t recognize the handle at first, then it hit me! Thanks for the lens!
11-09-2022, 03:04 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Here are some first shots with te21mm. Not much to photograph as everything is dormant, but I found some tiny flowers, and an insect! These are heavy crops, and I think I used a bit too much contrast.

Very nice shots!

11-10-2022, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Those little Limiteds are addicting, aren't they? I was late to the game, too, but once the used price started coming down on them, I decided to give it a try. Like you, the 21 was my first Limited. It was such a joy to use that I picked up a 70 not all that long afterwards. I already had a 40XS from when I bought my K-01...and it's a great little lens...but I'd secretly love to replace it with the 35mm macro. I'm having trouble making that move because, even though it's not a Limited, the 40XS is a great compromise of size vs image quality. And as someone said earlier, I can put one lens on my camera and carry the other two in my pocket or a super-small case and have a lot of imaging power without being weighed down by a ton of gear. In the film days, I pretty much shot exclusively with prime lenses. Once I went digital, I switched to using zooms and never really expected to go back, but the 21 flipped that feeling on its head and now I'm back to shooting primes primarily...and I think I'm enjoying shooting more as a result of that change.
11-10-2022, 07:13 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I bought mine second hand 10 years ago, and it still gets some use.... but mainly because of it's size. It's easy to stick it in a corner of the camera bag, when you aren't expecting to use wide angle but want something just in case.
01-11-2023, 11:33 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Congratulations. Limited lenses are one of the things that makes Pentax special. You are really a Pentaxian now.

I've got 4 lenses that cover 35mm (16-85, 18-135, 20-40 and DA 35 f2.4) but personally I don't find it a focal length that I use much on APS-C. I use 40mm (or the FA 43mm) more. Unless you find you do, I'd suggest the 15 next, followed by either the the DA 70 or FA 77 (particularly for portraits).

You mean ascent Marc. ;-)
I just ordered the HD DA 15mm Ltd from a forum member! My wife is going to kill me!

01-11-2023, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The HD DA 15mm Ltd- you will love! it is so small, mine lives in the front accessory zipper pocket of my holster-style camera case with a small patch of bubble wrap for added protection. So unnoticeable I forget I have it...until I need it that is! Sometimes it stays dormant for a while. I might have my DA 20-40mm DC WR Ltd on my KP, or sometimes my DA 18-135mm WR, or if needing its virtues, my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM. Or even another prime, like your 21mm Ltd. Then a situation comes up where I need to go wider, and "oh, yeah- I've got it right here!" And it is a real beauty! Excellent performance. You will constantly be amazed to have such a fine-performing ultra-wide prime lens, yet so incredibly compact and convenient!

Good choice!
01-11-2023, 02:44 PM   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just ordered the HD DA 15mm Ltd from a forum member! My wife is going to kill me!
If you survive the spousal retribution, you will find the 15 a joy to use. You won't regret the HD coatings either. Plenty of inspiration and helpful advice here: The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com
01-11-2023, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you survive the spousal retribution, you will find the 15 a joy to use. You won't regret the HD coatings either. Plenty of inspiration and helpful advice here: The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com
After a trip to NYC last year, I found I indeed do need to go wider than 18mm on my 18-135mm lens. I especially felt that in Grand Central Terminal! I have been hem-hawing around about whether to get a 70mm Ltd or the 35mm Ltd, but this one came up on the Marketplace and I said “What the heck!” I don’t have any lens wider than 18mm and already have 70 and 35 covered, not to mention I have the 40mm Ltd already too. So I threw caution to the wind and got the 15! It will be a learning experience I’m sure, but I look forward to the challenge and hope I can do this lens justice! Ought to be fun!

---------- Post added 01-11-23 at 18:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The HD DA 15mm Ltd- you will love! it is so small, mine lives in the front accessory zipper pocket of my holster-style camera case with a small patch of bubble wrap for added protection. So unnoticeable I forget I have it...until I need it that is! Sometimes it stays dormant for a while. I might have my DA 20-40mm DC WR Ltd on my KP, or sometimes my DA 18-135mm WR, or if needing its virtues, my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM. Or even another prime, like your 21mm Ltd. Then a situation comes up where I need to go wider, and "oh, yeah- I've got it right here!" And it is a real beauty! Excellent performance. You will constantly be amazed to have such a fine-performing ultra-wide prime lens, yet so incredibly compact and convenient!

Good choice!
Thank you! I hope I can learn to use it properly and do this lens justice! I too plan to use it in conjunction with the 18-135 as you suggested! Good idea!

Last edited by que es tu; 01-11-2023 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Misspelling
01-11-2023, 06:08 PM   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After a trip to NYC last year, I found I indeed do need to go wider than 18mm on my 18-135mm lens. I especially felt that in Grand Central Terminal! I have been hem-hawing around about whether to get a 70mm Ltd or the 35mm Ltd, but this one came up on the Marketplace and I said “What the heck!” I don’t have any lens wider than 18mm and already have 70 and 35 covered, not to mention I have the 40mm Ltd already too. So I threw caution to the wind and got the 15! It will be a learning experience I’m sure, but I look forward to the challenge and hope I can do this lens justice! Ought to be fun!
The journey will be fun. There is a big difference between 18mm (wide on APS-C) 15mm (into ultra-wide territory). Using an ultra-wide lens does require rethinking composition. For example, impressive scenes can look very unimpressive with ultra-wide shots. If you look at the "15 controls my mind" thread, you will see some brilliant composition, often involving interesting foreground elements with some relationship to the background. Many people also take advantage of the superb flare-resistance by using the sun or other bright light source in the frame. The microcontrast with the 15, particularly in the centre, is really awesome - which means you can get great detail with the foreground subject. The MFD is really short too, so you can get interesting perspectives by getting very close to the subject.
01-12-2023, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The journey will be fun. There is a big difference between 18mm (wide on APS-C) 15mm (into ultra-wide territory). Using an ultra-wide lens does require rethinking composition. For example, impressive scenes can look very unimpressive with ultra-wide shots. If you look at the "15 controls my mind" thread, you will see some brilliant composition, often involving interesting foreground elements with some relationship to the background. Many people also take advantage of the superb flare-resistance by using the sun or other bright light source in the frame. The microcontrast with the 15, particularly in the centre, is really awesome - which means you can get great detail with the foreground subject. The MFD is really short too, so you can get interesting perspectives by getting very close to the subject.
I found myself in the doldrums last year shooting with zooms. After getting the 21 and 40 limiteds I haven’t used my zooms since October!!! I discovered that I had too many choices with the zooms and honestly couldn’t figure out what to photograph! After using primes, I have found that I try to envision, compose, and frame according to the lens. I am sure I will use my zooms when I go hiking and for travel, but I have found a whole new world using primes!!

I have subscribed to the 15mm controls my mind thread and have been very impressed and can see what you mean about framing with UWA lenses! One thing I was glad to see was that starbursts ARE possible with the HD version! I was a bit worried about that, but I think it will be okay!!