Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 on Canon FD bodies?

You know, I never tried this, (never had call to,) but thinking ahead a bit, I've seen adapters for m42 lenses to Canon FD bodies... Would these allow infinity focus? My notion here is that it could turn out to be convenient to get hold of a nice sharp old tele that could do double duty, maybe similarly so for a big old 20 or Russian wide.

Also, has anyone actually ever tried putting a Pentax digital on the back of a 67 lens? I understand it's possible. Worthwhile, presuming you had a 6x7 in the first place?

12-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You want to use M42 on a Canon FD body? It may be possible, I'm not that knowledgeable on Canon's mount. Even if not, film bodies (including Pentax) that can handle M42 (with or without adapter) are plentiful and cheap, even if FD isn't the right way to go.

My understanding is that it is possible to use 67 or 645 glass with adapters though naturally it will be manual focus and you'll have to use stop-down metering, as with M42 or Pentax-K or -M glass. The 67 glass is of course pretty bulky, heavy, not particularly fast, and the adapters are typically pretty expensive, but it should work. The 67 glass is very good for what it was designed for of course, but I haven't heard any authoritative answers as to just how good it is on digital--whether it would be worth the trouble for most people. If you were lugging around a 67 kit anyway, it might make some sense to allow a telephoto to do double duty.
12-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Banned

I dont know the first thing about canon, but I imagine you would get all the help on this you can imagine by checking out the mflenses forum. Manual Focus Lenses :: Index a lot of canon users over there.
12-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
You want to use M42 on a Canon FD body? It may be possible, I'm not that knowledgeable on Canon's mount. Even if not, film bodies (including Pentax) that can handle M42 (with or without adapter) are plentiful and cheap, even if FD isn't the right way to go.

My understanding is that it is possible to use 67 or 645 glass with adapters though naturally it will be manual focus and you'll have to use stop-down metering, as with M42 or Pentax-K or -M glass. The 67 glass is of course pretty bulky, heavy, not particularly fast, and the adapters are typically pretty expensive, but it should work. The 67 glass is very good for what it was designed for of course, but I haven't heard any authoritative answers as to just how good it is on digital--whether it would be worth the trouble for most people. If you were lugging around a 67 kit anyway, it might make some sense to allow a telephoto to do double duty.
Well, this idea I have is a little outside my usual way of doing things, and relates to one specific area or something like it. There are some pretty like 200/4 Taks (in M42 and 67 both) out there that I wouldn't want to buy two or three times, but could be handy for certain tripod work in a certain place, yes, (especially if I *were* going to a 6x7, anyway) ...and I would not want to buy or carry this redundantly. So I'm wanting to game out what jobs such a thing could do.

So, I'm contemplating feasibility.

12-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know, I never tried this, (never had call to,) but thinking ahead a bit, I've seen adapters for m42 lenses to Canon FD bodies... Would these allow infinity focus? My notion here is that it could turn out to be convenient to get hold of a nice sharp old tele that could do double duty, maybe similarly so for a big old 20 or Russian wide.

Also, has anyone actually ever tried putting a Pentax digital on the back of a 67 lens? I understand it's possible. Worthwhile, presuming you had a 6x7 in the first place?
No problem at all. Canon made a "P" adapter that fits onto the camera body and mounts M-42 lenses and focuses them to infinity. There are aftermarket knockofffs that should be fairly common too, though I have no experience with them.

Canon also made adapters to munt Exakta and Nikon F lenses to R FL and FD series bodies but they are less common. The Nikon F adapter seems to bring big $$$.
12-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Casual.

Could have some fun with that later.
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are some pretty like 200/4 Taks (in M42 and 67 both) out there that I wouldn't want to buy two or three times, but could be handy for certain tripod work in a certain place, yes, (especially if I *were* going to a 6x7, anyway) ...and I would not want to buy or carry this redundantly. So I'm wanting to game out what jobs such a thing could do.

So, I'm contemplating feasibility.
Fair enough. Bear in mind though that a 200/4 for 35mm (like M200) costs considerably less than the 67-to-K adapter alone. Also, a 67 200/4 weighs 800-900g, twice what a K or M 200/4. would weigh. Though again, if you were lugging the 67 glass anyway...
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lady,
The Canon FD mount is 2.5mm closer to the film plane then the M42/Pentax. This gives you room for an adapter that focuses at infinity and doesn't need a lens element. As stated above, they are out there. I just wanted to show why it is possible.

Dave