Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

SMC FA 35mm lens won't open up when stopped down/replacement?

Having an issue with my SMC FA 35mm lens....After taking a picture with Auto aperture , the lens aperture will not open up unless I manually move the aperture ring back and forth back to auto?

Any idea what would cause this? Something fixable? If not, what is the modern equivalent for a replacement, as the price of this lens seems to have gone through the roof?

11-17-2022, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could be sticky aperture blades. Take the lens off the camera, set it to f22 and flick the lever at the rear. Do the aperture blades open and close smoothly ?
11-18-2022, 03:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As pschlute stated it is probably a mechanical issue, those should be inexpensive to fix. So I would suggest you call the official pentax repair shop and ask them for a non binding estimate of the repair costs, so you have an idea for the amount to think about.

If repair is no solution, you are quite in a dilemma, as the cheapest modern equivalent is the same lens new, now with a HD coating. If you need it for APS-C you can go for a DA 35/2.4 instead. Every other solution will probably cost you more. Even if you are going for a used lens, a used FA 35 is the best bet. Because the additonal issue is that the FA 35/2.0 has a very, very high IQ besides the purple fringing wide open.

Nonetheless as modern equivalents there are the allready mentioned Pentax DA 35/2.4 AL (APS-C), the DA 35/2.8 ltd. macro (APS-C) which I would rule out as it has not the same IQ as the FA35 and the Sigma 35/1.4 Art (FF) which I own and would also not suggest as a replacment, at it is expensive and bulky and heavy as a tank and in my opinion does not pull ahead the FA35 in terms of image quality so much to negiate those three negative points. *)
Note, that other forum members probabyl have other opinions about the DA ltd. macro and the Sigma Art, but these are just my two cents.

*) I bought it for the 1.4 aperture, as I wanted an APS-C equivalent for a 1.7/50 on Full frame and I still ponder if I should not buy the FA 35 as well.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 11-18-2022 at 03:57 AM.