Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Athanassios Quote
Hi

No doubt it's cocky , I am sure many have jaw dropping collections but I decided to share with you in an image all that I have today. It took me countless hours to reach into this mix.

Please do have a look as I would love to hear your opinion.

Have I missed something? Would you subsitute a lens with another?

Any opinion will be most appreciated
First if I recall you and your wife shoot together so some overlap is needed. Second, I have far far far too much gear and I applaud your restraint.

Now on to the feedback:

The 18-50 and 20-40 are different enough despite overlapping. I also own both myself. And, while I can’t really justify it, I understand why I keep both. I would expect you each to use one of those as the main walkabout lens when a light zoom is needed.

The 50-200 while not as sharp as the 55-300 is very small. That plus the 18-50 or 20-40 makes for a crazy light kit with a bit of reach.

The primes you have make for a great kit. No disagreement from me on this. Some will suggest the 21 - but the DA 20-40 is fairly close. The 21 does go well with the 70 as a two lens prime kit but the 20-40 plus 70 is nearly as nice.

The main area for improvement is the 55-300 - optically I like it. The 55-300 plm However is smaller and faster focusing. It pairs very well with the 18-50 as a light capable kit.

Personally I would add the DA* 50-135 to go with your 16-50. That’s the constant f2.8 kit option of choice for apsc. Sdm can fail but your k10d can convert the lens to screw drive if needed. It’s a superb lens.

Also a personal preference- I owned the older 540 flashes. I like the version II better - they are smaller and offer the same power. Get one of those or the smaller 360.

11-19-2022, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
...looking at what you have, the 15 Limited, 20-40 Limited and 55-300 cover just about anything admirably. The gaps are pretty trivial.

The 35 Macro Limited and 70 Limited are superb, fill their own niches. And the 40 XS is so small it could happily stay too.

That leaves the 18-50 RE and 50-200 trying to justify their existence
I agree 100% with Sandy. The HD 15mm, HD DA 20-40mm, and HD DA 70mm are one of my favorite quality compact carrying kits with the KP. And the very fine HD DA 55-300mm WR does indeed add a great tele range. I have also found its screw-driven AF to be improved with the KP. This lens does have some advantages of its own.

I would still keep the amazingly small HD DA 18-50mm RE however, because there is no other zoom lens as small and compact as this, and with very capable quality imaging. It doesn't have the aperture capacity of the 20-40mm Ltd, nor its build quality, but when you need an extra small zoom lens, there is no other like it.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 02:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I don't see any Pro lenses. Just average stuff. Grab something like a DA* (insert length here) or one of the 3 Amigos. Have some fun!
The HD DA 15mm, HD DA 20-40mm, and HD DA 70mm Limiteds are hardly "average stuff". In fact, speaking of DA*, I do sometimes combine these lenses with my DA* 50-135mmf/2.8, and love it, but not always. if I want more reach for added versatility, the HD DA 55-300mm does deliver very good imaging. And with the higher ISO performance of the KP, the f/2.8 availability becomes less important.
11-19-2022, 02:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Hi

My relation with Pentax started in 2006 as semi-pro and after a decade on ice I decided to refine the gear for me and (now also) my wife as mere enthusiasts.

No doubt it's cocky , I am sure many have jaw dropping collections but I decided to share with you in an image all that I have today. It took me countless hours to reach into this mix.

Please do have a look as I would love to hear your opinion.

Any opinion will be most appreciated

a pentaxian,
Athanssios
This is a very nice collection and an excellent starting point.
I would simply suggest that the 18-50 and 50-200 don't seem to have real purpose there, I would simply unload them (get back maybe €50 for both).
And then, I would use that seed money to get a simple trans-standard zoom. Option from cheapest to most expensive: 18-135 (I can vouch for this one) < 16-85 (seems a solid option as well) < 16-50* (if you need excellence and are ready to pay for it and carry it). This one can then be almost permanently attached to your 2nd body

Afterwards, it will be up to you to determine is you are missing sometthing for your uses.
As a very 'rational' person, I think I understand what you're trying to achieve (get the 'most rationalized' kit in one shot) but, according to my experience, that actually cannot be achieved; simply because our interests and priorities tedn to shift with time; also because new gear appears that appeals to us, etc.
Good luck with your endeavours and keep posting pics as well
11-19-2022, 03:43 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
What do you normally photograph?
It's difficult to answer this today. In the past I was semi-pro shooting my products and models. Now I came back in order to capture my emotions into a picture.

Only suggestion I'd have is if you actually do need fast focus for telephoto zoom shots, the PLM 55-300 is much faster.
Before my KPs purchases, PLM was incompatible with K10D and K20D. And regretting that I stupidly overpaid for a DA L 55-300 ( 200$) I purchased another HD 55-300 for 300$. And after I purchased the KPs I am extremely tempted to buy the PLM although a) PLM is worse in handling and zooming. It's button-to-work RE grip is weird and its slower by 0.5f. Many say it's sharper that the "red" 55-300. Bottom line, I'd feel ultra stupid if I purchased the PLM and then hope to sell one day the overprised DAL and the HD. Even though there's a chance I may be lucky and buy it for 160$....

For my purposes I'm rather partial to the 16-85 lens but that may not be your purposes.
HD 16-85 is a great glass no doubt. Yet I decided to purchase the Limited 20-40 for me and the 18-50 for my wife. For the 50-85 range I have the prime 70/2.4 limited and honestly I think I would prefer to buy the 100/2.8 macro instead of the 16-85. I think the 16-85 is suitable but for two different scenes ( 16-50 and 50-85). Instead I can have the 20-40 on the body and the 15 and 70 limited are so tiny that I can carry together and switch in case I want to capture that something extra. Had I had endless money, YES, I would buy the 16-85 although I believe the primes and especially the Limited may be a burden to switch but provide a better result.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 03:50 AM ----------

Something wider than the 15 Limited is nice to have. The 10-17 Fisheye nearly always finds a way into my bag.
I was tempted but the distortions of 10-17 is beyond my aesthetics. That's why I chose the 15 who's flat and it's angle is the widest possible in "normal looking" captures. Plus it's a beauty, half the size and weight and produces better images. I repeat that fish eye photography is not my thing and I guess it would have been for may be less than 1% of my shootings. But had I been rich I would most certainly buy it IF Pentax upgraded it into an HD coating or if I could buy it for 150$

11-19-2022, 04:04 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I also enjoy macro (or macro-ish) shooting, so I'd add either the 50mm or 100mm to the mix.
For macro photographers the 35mm/2.8 glass sounds indeed and for many reasonable reasons more like a joke to many. YET....

a) This little demon gives an unparallel DOF in comparison to the 100mm.Yes I will not be able to shoοt ....a viper or a butterfly but I can shoot something by literally touching the subject with the lens (hence I bought a Hoya HD filter for in deed needed protection). Meaning I can shoot my beloved ... ants and feel like the all mighty eye of God.
b) With a doulble flash mount I have produced ISO100 f22 (!!!) 1/180s images that are like 3D !
c) No joke it's the true "nifty-fifty" on APS-C bodies and I don't exaggerate by saying that it's one of the best glasses produced by Pentax in its history. It's an amazing glass. And I am sad that people keep on buying the archaic 50/1.2 due to "herd fashion" and ignorance.

I guess that now that Pentax brought the new HD version may be I get lucky and buy the 100mm 2.8 for a fraction in case I wish to expand my primes' range from 70 ( with the 2.4 limited) into the 100mm.

Last edited by Athanassios; 12-19-2022 at 10:32 AM.
11-19-2022, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

For macro photographers the 35mm/2.8 glass sounds indeed and for many reasonable reasons more like a joke to many. YET....

I guess that now that Pentax brought the new HD version may be I get lucky and buy the 100mm 2.8 for a fraction in case I wish to expand my primes' range from 70 ( with the 2.4 limited) into the 100mm.
The older DA 100WR is an extremely sharp lens--or at least my copy is--which I love using. The only problem with it to me is that it performs poorly in any dynamic situation due to long focus throw, no delimiter, and slow screw drive. Slower or more static situations are fine and so that is where I use it.

Here, for example, is a picture I took with it mounted on my old K-50 many years ago. It was snapped by complete random, unheld and uncontrolled accident as I squeezed the shutter with my body while bending over on a stairway. And still the sharpness is excellent.

Last edited by jgnfld; 11-19-2022 at 04:32 AM.
11-19-2022, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Personally, I'd have something of longer focus for macro, at least 90-100mm for a better perspective, even longer for subjects like insects that are likely to fly away
Now that Pentax sells the new 100mm/Macro I soon hope to get lucky and buy one of the "older" ones at a stealing price in order I expand my prime mm from the current 70 with the Limited 2.4.

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Are the "discontinued" items equipment you've disposed of or just stopped using?
I'm sure others might agree the K10D, with it's CCD sensor, is worth an outing occasionally
All the "discontinued" are for sale and I don't look back at them. I've already closed a deal to sell the K10D with the 18-55 and the 50-200 to a friend. The DA* 16-50 is a lovely glass but too heavy for KP and my needs so I purchased the 20-40 instead.

NOTE: Yes, the CCD sensor of K10D is a sweat heart, I love this body but I honestly feel that the KP is trully the best replacement possible. K10D is eg great up to ISO 540 and 1/60s. KP replicates the K10D's ISO540 noise at 5 steps!!! less and I can shoot at 1/3 speed of the lenses' mm due to it's new SR system. So I sold the K10D with grip and two lenses etc for 280$ to reduce my expenses on the purchase of 2 KPs.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 04:31 AM ----------

That leaves the 18-50 RE and 50-200 trying to justify their existence
My dear Sandy you missed a tiny detail on my chart. One of the KP's, the one in sexy silver, is colored as pink at my chart (next to my other black with a grip) since it'll be the camera for my beloved and cared as a fragile rose wife.

So when me and Depy (my wife) go out for a... shooting spree the cave man will be holding a KP with grip and a heavy 55-300 while my precious princess will be holding a sexy KP with a light 50-200. And since her skills are not that great ( will be shooting in green/auto) the 200mm are perfect, not to mention that this lens seems to magnify things a bit more that 200mm.

And when me and Depy eg go to shoot our toddler's theatrical shows or attend a birthday, Depy will again use in simplicity a light weight and sexy lens (just the [] hood and the RE of the 18-50 are gorgeous) for point and shot, at the same time the pentaxian-zealot daddy will be running around switching glasses like a maniac breed of a photo geek with unresolved neanderthal OCD's

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 04:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
[B]Get an HD DA 16-85 mm ED, you won't regret it.
You're absolutely right, yet I chose the 20-40 instead and supported by the 70/2.4. Yes, I am most certainly tempted to buy this glass even if today I have spent to much money and to buy a glass as an alternative of switching my primes is too much. Hoping that I sell of my "discontinued" gear I will either buy this or the 100/2.5 macro.

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I also have a DA* 60-250 mm f/4 for longer reach but many people rant about SDM failure (mine is still going strong).
The DA* 60-250 is superb, ideal, F@CKING awesome glass, yet super heavy and expensive for my pocket and handling. If you ever came across a philanthropist that wanted to bless a humble pentaxian with a monetary-symbolic-value gift please DO LET ME KNOW! I just can't afford to pay 1000 euro for a second hand glass since most eBay available today are outside the EU and I have to pay alot in customs and duties etc. Not to mention that buying this glass second hand is a russian roulette.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 04:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
how about a K3iii and my favorite lens, the D FA 150-450, one of the best Pentax lenses I've used.
As far as the body is concerned I am happy with the 600$ KP instead of a 1800$ K3iii for reasons unbeatable when budget is concerned.

Now... regarding the MONSTEROUS-GORGEOUS D FA 150-450, I (still) don't think that a side-effect of a divorce-subpoena can justify me buying this "007" glass.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 05:17 AM ----------

As he states he is now an enthusiast and no longer semi-pro, K3iii may not be worth the cash over a pair of KPs depending on what he's shooting. Of course not knowing what he typically shoots makes anything we say a complete guess.
Being on ice for a decade I don't even know what I want exactly. What I do know is that I want to express myself in a new dimension based on my artistic and daily needs.

But yes extreme long and/or extreme short are the 2 glaring places where another lens might be contemplated assuming he's interested. As a lesser consideration, he has a short macro, but a longer one might be nice if he's contemplating that sort of shot.
I ain't interested in fish eye for sure and even if I am tempted to buy a 100/2.8 macro I already explained above that the 35/2.8 macro is a miraculous glass.

My hiking kit of a 55-300 PLM, a 16-85, and a KP were recently stolen [ ....]to be honest just my hiking kit covers or could cover probably 90% of everything I'm wanting to shoot or more.
In a way even a 18-270 woud cut the story short and one lens would cover a dozen. Yet I have fallen in love with the Limited collection and I just don't think that I would feel satisfied with the results. Don't get me wrong. I think we agree that a KP coupled with a bunch of good lenses is all that you need.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 05:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
When you can get a great old F/1.4 on the cheap, how can you not have one? For the craftsmanship, for the bokeh, for the manual experience, for the connection to the past. I almost used one the other day.
allow me to disagree. 50 years of Pentax evolution just don't make me feel like buying old glass

Last edited by Athanassios; 11-19-2022 at 04:37 AM.
11-19-2022, 05:20 AM   #23

Original Poster
I don't think it is being unfair to the OP to assume he is not planning on spending a bunch of money.

Recommending purchases like the K-3 III, the DA* lenses or the DFA150-450 is probably not particularly helpful.

I agree the 21 Limited is a great lens (I love mine), but the 20-40 Limited covers it with a bit more speed, silent focus, weather sealing and comparable rendering.
You are right and thank you. Yet the 21 Limited is inevitably a glass I will buy since I am a Limited fan.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 05:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
As others have said, it all depends upon what you shoot. I carry a small sling bag that usually contains a KP, 15, 20-40, and 55-300 PLM, and/or another KP with the DA* 300 and DA 1.4 TC. The PLM is such a big improvement over the older 55-300s that is is much more useful. That said, it is probably third most used lens behind the 20-40 and the DA* 300. I shoot mostly nature and landscapes.
PLM 55-300 is something I want now to buy but the sins of my past ( overpaying for a DAL and paying for an HD when my cameras were not PLM compatible) are a burden.
11-19-2022, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While i am being guilty of having Limited primes covering same focal lengths as my zoom (I have same Limited setup as you) I would get rid of prime Limiteds and 50-200, and keep only 18-50 or 20-40 and 55-300. Or get rid of anything other then 55-300 and replace shorter ranges with 16-50 PLM if size and weight of this lens is ok for you.

If you search for an excuse to get new gear, then I think fisheye or 11-18 may be nice to get UWA covered better then with just 15mm.
11-19-2022, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I don't see any Pro lenses. Just average stuff. Grab something like a DA* (insert length here) or one of the 3 Amigos. Have some fun!
Limited lenses are “average stuff” ! Wow !

And if you didn’t notice I ditched DA* 16-50 for Limited 20-40.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
The most glaring gap is the DA 21mm. The KP and the 21mm are made for each other. As they come in both black and silver you can justify getting two of them.
Why do you “force” me spend more money 😂? Thought the 20-40 covered KP just as fine as the 21.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The 12mm Rokinon fisheye…
I just can’t buy a nonPentax glass. It’d feel like cheating. 😁

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
….
Thanks again for your advice. I agree that the 21 Limited is covered by the 20-40 but “had I had to sin” 😋 I would get the pancake 40 Limited even if I have its copycat in the…biscuit XS version due to the HD, the focus ring and the super sexy hood. Plus it’s a legendary glass.

I ditched the DA* 16-50 cause it is heavy so the beautiful DA* 50-135 is beyond my current philosophy.

Before I moved to KP the PLM was incompatible plus I am stupidly stuck with an overpriced DAL 55-300 together with the HD 55-300. PLM fast focus is not my priority but I have read it’s a better lens even if it’s slower. My main concern is the RE lock/activation system that is 18-50 is annoying.

The only reason I keep the old Flashes is for macro and for…slavery. I mount them on a weird two-arms ….bracket/thing and shoot while I body build. Plus I had paid 500$ each brand new and I keep them literally as my light slaves 😄

Thanks again

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I agree 100% with Sandy.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 02:33 AM ----------

The HD DA 15mm, HD DA 20-40mm, and HD DA 70mm Limiteds are hardly "average stuff".
Just to say outloud that I agree with you 100%. And I do love the… “average” Limiteds and their “average” 9+ ratings by “average” forum users. 🙃

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 08:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
I would simply suggest that the 18-50 and 50-200 don't seem to have real purpose there, I would simply unload them (get back maybe €50 for both).
….< 16-50*
I just bought the 18-50 for 200$ from BH and sold an old 50-200 to be replaced with the HD WR version. Both light for my wife. So I’d rather burn myself than sell them for peanuts. Yesterday I posted “for sale” my DA* 16-50 in the forum as I replaced it with the 20-40. Great lens but way to heavy for walk arounds.
11-19-2022, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW, I think that your two KP cameras and the current lens kit provides lots of flexibility for two-person photo outings.

For instance, one person could shoot wide-angles (e.g., DA 15mm Limited, 20-40mm Limited) while the other 'focuses' on telephoto shots (55-300). Or, both could use telephoto zooms or both could shoot with prime lenses (e.g., 35mm and 70mm Limiteds). And, you're covered with a Macro lens, albeit one that requires a fairly short subject distance.

With more than one photographer on an outing, it's a joy to compare similar scenes taken at different focal lengths.

You might wish to consider a lens with a wider aperture to explore shallow depth of field shots, e.g., DA 50/1.8 or even a used Pentax-F 50/1.7.

- Craig
11-19-2022, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

The only addition I would suggest is a 100mm f2.8 macro. Mostly to give some distance from the subject. It can also double as a portrait lens, but I’m sure you know that. From what I understand, it doesn’t really matter all that much which one you get as they are all very good.
11-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
…I would get rid of prime Limiteds and 50-200, and keep only 18-50 or 20-40 and 55-300. Or get rid of anything other than 55-300 and replace shorter ranges with 16-50 PLM if size and weight of this lens is ok for you.
Hi🙂 Now that’s a shocking statement! Or you just turned into a “zoomer”. In that case I guess just the 18-270 is enough.

PS. I have personally mutated into a “limitederian” 🤣

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
You might wish to consider a lens with a wider aperture to explore shallow depth of field shots, e.g., DA 50/1.8 or even a used Pentax-F 50/1.7.
- Craig
Was tempted but the 70/2.4 even a stop slower provides an amazing bokeh and quality in general.

---------- Post added 11-19-22 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
The only addition I would suggest is a 100mm f2.8 macro.
I love super sharp glasses and the 35 macro is like making 3D images. I rate it as one of the best glasses ever made.

Now that the new 100 macro came out I will have an eye for a steal deal of the “older” one even if I am an HD coating admirer.
11-19-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a) This little demon gives an unparallel DOF in comparison to the 100mm.Yes I will not be able to shoοt ....a viper or a butterfly but I can shoot something by literally touching the subject with the lens (hence I bought a Hoya HD filter for in deed needed protection). Meaning I can shoot my beloved ... ants and feel like the all mighty eye of God.
b) With a doulble flash mount I have produced ISO100 f22 (!!!) 1/180s images that are f@cking like 3D ! (pardon my french)
For general shooting the depth of field is large on the 35 vs 100; but my understanding is that this does not hold up if the subject/image size on the sensor is the same. Specifically if the goal is 1:1 or 1:2 etc then the distance to the subject shrinks as the focal length decreases. The end result is that you have more depth of field at a given distance for the shorter lens but not more when the distance isn’t constant and the image size is.

Here’s an article that may help:
Depth of Field in Macro Photography: Digital Photography Review
11-19-2022, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right and thank you. Yet the 21 Limited is inevitably a glass I will buy since I am a Limited fan.
....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that