Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #91

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I kind of lost track of the expenses in search of "a perfect gear"
Decided not to sell the DA* 16-50 (impossible for the 20-40 to handle indoor shootings), I could not resist a kill deal to purchase "DA King" ie the HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW and I "had" to buy the SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited from Japan at a steal price in order to have all the DA Limited Collection. And I could not resist on buying cheap an UWA Tamron 10-24.

And for the details I bought a vintage case for the "Grenade" ie the Pentax-A 50/1.2 and some other PU or Neopropene cases for the glasses.

I really feel that now I am done and a happy owner of a great bundle!

Last edited by Athanassios; 12-19-2022 at 10:30 AM.
12-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
And across the whole zoom range it doesn't show strong vignetting on FF, even when choosing open aperture!
That is interesting- I've yet to try my HD DA 20-40mm Ltd on FF.

---------- Post added 12-09-22 at 04:53 PM ----------

Glad to see you've got yourself such a great assemblage of fine gear. I've never tried to get such a large assemblage together in such a short time, but rather have bought according to my shooting needs over time. But either way, you can't go wrong with what you have acquired!

Only recently, due to a rare sale price, I decided to get the HD version of the FA 77mm Ltd, and talk about luxurious excess, I now have the HD version in both black- being best on my K-1 II, and in silver- being best on my silver KP! These will replace those from when I did the same around 20 years ago, with two FA 77mm Ltds, one for my Pentax PZ-1p and a silver one for my silver ZX-5n 35mm film cameras, due to a mfr. $100 rebate sale, and then subsequently have been enjoying them on my DSLR bodies. These are MIJ in perfect condition, and they will eventually go up for sale. So you are not the only one who goes the whole route + at times and strikes when the deal is hot.

I went to such extraordinary lengths because I have come to love this lens so much. I also have the DA HD 70mm Ltd in silver for my KP. I love them both for different reasons. I have found them to be very different. For one thing, the 70mm tested-out as actually 65mm, while the 77mm tested-out right on at 77mm. Quite different as to how close to the subject or how far away one needs to be, and as to how much background will be included. 65mm to 77 mm is very different. It has been said the DA 70mm can be used on FF but I have not yet tried that.

I love the FA 77 mm for its wonderful ability to isolate a subject, and in getting close shots of small animals and flowers. Also for its fine performance even at its one-stop greater f/1.8 aperture, which can provide exceptional bokeh, its amazingly small size for such a large aperture and 77mm, hence able to keep from distracting subjects, and also great for low light and night shots. Then the DA 70mm when I will need a shorter FL to include more in the frame with APS-C, and need to avoid possible purple fringing under certain conditions, along with excellent edge-to-edge performance. Both are fabulous lenses in their own realm of use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-09-2022 at 05:13 PM.
12-09-2022, 11:46 PM   #93

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That is interesting- I've yet to try my HD DA 20-40mm Ltd on FF.

---------- Post added 12-09-22 at 04:53 PM ----------

Glad to see you've got yourself such a great assemblage of fine gear. ....... Both are fabulous lenses in their own realm of use.
Dear mikesbike,

I don't think I will ever find another pentaxian with not one, not two, not three but FOUR 77ers!!!

Just WOW ! That's something to talk about.

My old Lady is the smc 70/2.4 in black. In a universe far far away ( 2007) I was buying my first K10D in order to do some professional product photos and model shootings for my business. I had spent alot of time trying to decide between the 70 or the 77. Even these past few weeks I was considering buying a 77er but I didn't for a couple reasons.

a) Yes they are different and yes the 77er is faster. Regarding image quality though in portraits the opinions are inconclusive ie if the 77 is truly better than the 70.
b) I'm in APS-C and frankly the 70 is like a 77er modified for us with a way "larger" zoom ( ie ~100mm in FF terms).
c) The aperture ring is a remnant of old times, the 77er is twice as heavy*** and almost twice are big.

***I do laugh at myself though since I "judge down" the 77er for it's 240grams/8oz while at the same time I decided to go "nifty-nifty pro" with a 2lbs glass ie the HD FA* 50/1.4. (Thank God my wife is a certified psychotherapist )

So instead of buying the 77er, I bought the best 50 AND the best 100 ie the new HD 100 Macro ( in the silver limited edition of 300 copies only to be produced). So on average I have a 75mm among those two. [See?! I now have ...virtually... a 77er ]

And both the 50 and the 100 I got are amongst the sharpest glasses Pentax ever made...

.....save for the HD 35/2.8 Macro that I truly believe that is the best pentax glass ever made for it's size, money, abilities etc etc etc. It's a SURREAL lens way way ahead of anything available. And in APS-C it is the TRUE "nifty-fifty" due to the 1.5 crop factor. If you haven't tried it, do so! B&H does have a $100 coupon and it's worth every last penny of the 400$ that you can buy it today and in the future it will not just keep but increase its value like the Pentax-A 50/1.2. Remember that!

Last but not least I've spent so much time with the "old Lady" ie my smc 70/2.4 Ltd that I just can't "betray" her.

Yes "they are both fabulous lenses in their own realm of use" plus in their own fields ( FF vs Crop).

With a lot of TLC I've kept the old lady in "as new" condition save for an almost invisible loss of paint on the hood's outer ring due to the 1000s of times I've put the cover on. I am talking about fractions of mm.

PS: The decision to buy "alot at once" is risky but also rewarding. I did know my needs on a bigger scale, plus I was wisely counseled by many members and verterans like you or "uncleVanya". At the end, save for my obsession at the end to have the full Limited DA collection, the lenses don't overlap save for two exceptions. The 40XS to be frank will be used like a cap on my black KP. And the Pentax-A along with the HD FA* may be both 50mm and fast but OMG their characters are as different as angels and demons. The Pentax-A is the angel of darnkess and I will be using it in "dracula mode" ie in the absence of sunlight. "Da King" with its 2pounds weight is for special missions. From Astro to studio but only in controlled environments.

PS2: I started with the decision to get rid of the 1 pound heavy DA* 16-50 for being... too heavy. Now the DA* is back in the collection and I feel stupid. The 20-40 is IMPOSSIBLE to replace it in indoor shootings even though the 20-40 is way better and perfect for walkarounds; something the DA* 16-50 is not built for.

Take Care! and sorry if I lost track in writing.

Last edited by Athanassios; 12-10-2022 at 12:21 AM.
12-10-2022, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Veteran Member

The DA HD 70mm Ltd is an excellent lens for portraits, especially on APS-C, as well as for fashion imaging. Virtually the ideal FL. Again, your reasoning is very solid.

When on vacation and out riding through countryside, including wooded areas, during the earlier part of the day it is nearly always with my KP and the HD DA 20-40mm along with the HD DA 70mm, and as always, the little HD DA 15mm in the front pocket of my holster-type camera case. All are in silver. Then later on, put up the bike to get a late lunch before switching the 70mm Ltd for a silver 77mm Ltd as evening is not far off, and I will be returning in the dark. I love to do shots around sunset, and especially just after for the colors that might occur at this time. I especially favor the historic town of Gettysburg, with nearly 20 miles of preserved battlefield, and countless monuments to famous figures of that time, and depicting the events. With the right lighting, dramatic effects can be captured.

I also visit seashore areas, also often featuring spectacular sunsets, along with beach-drive street scenes. Since getting my K-1 II just a few years ago, I have been able to once again use my FF lenses in their original FOV, including the FA 77 Ltd.

Remembering the improved imaging that frequently was evident upon getting the then new HD WR version of the DA 55-300mm, I became somewhat interested in the HD version of the wonderful FA 77mm Ltd. Even more interested upon seeing the test report given here on the forum. Then this very special sale price came up, so I decided now is the time to see if this upgrade will benefit what I do. One type of scene closer to home are the waterfront scenes at night, with an international bridge, and both vehicle and freighter traffic (some moving subjects). In this case, I just walk around with my K-1 II and whichever lens happens to be best for the subject and distance. I have used my black FA 77mm for this purpose on many occasions, which performed very satisfactorily. Of course, this same scene came to mind when my new HD FA 77mm Ltd arrived, and the weather was agreeable, so off I went to try it out. I was immediately impressed with the nice crisp images from this HD version of the same waterfront night scene, even shooting wide open! Not that my old FA 77mm did not deliver fine results, but the new one proved indeed to be better for this kind of use. The old one might be best for more exaggerated star-spiked effect form all the lights, but I am not after that. The improvement was impressive enough to convince me- yep at this price, now is the time to complete the upgrade. I have been very pleased with my decision after just one more outing, and with much more to come!

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-10-2022 at 06:48 PM.
12-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #95

Original Poster
I found in France a rare Sigma 18-300 and could not resist for those "lazy days" I want to get out and have some fun outdoors with the family without thinking about lenses. At a great price too in MiNT/in the box condition for 350 euro delivered.

Last edited by Athanassios; 12-19-2022 at 10:30 AM.
12-23-2022, 05:33 AM   #96

Original Poster
My final collection. 2 Macro, 9 Prime, 1 UWA Zoom, 5 Standard Zoom, 1 Super Zoom; total 18 glasses with 2 KPs and a mouthful of accessories.

I am HAPPY!
Attached Images

12-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Athanassios Quote
My final collection. 2 Macro, 9 Prime, 1 UWA Zoom, 5 Standard Zoom, 1 Super Zoom; total 18 glasses with 2 KPs and a mouthful of accessories.

I am HAPPY!
Final? I think you might have said that prior to this point once or twice . Let’s just call it current state. Lol. Here’s hoping your wallet gets a rest for a while!

12-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #98

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Final? I think you might have said that prior to this point once or twice . Let’s just call it current state. Lol. Here’s hoping your wallet gets a rest for a while!
������ final as in FINAL ������. My photo cabinet is literally out of space.
12-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Athanassios Quote
������ final as in FINAL ������. My photo cabinet is literally out of space.
Lol. There’s always a future furniture purchase. Or a swap of gear from active to inactive status. I’m glad you have a kit you like. And I sincerely hope this is where you stop for a while. You need time to enjoy the gear and learn what if anything you might change.
12-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #100

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lol. There’s always a future furniture purchase. Or a swap of gear from active to inactive status. I’m glad you have a kit you like. And I sincerely hope this is where you stop for a while. You need time to enjoy the gear and learn what if anything you might change.
As you wisely said. Now it’s time to enjoy all this and for a long time.

Merry Christmas uncle !