Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2022, 07:43 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think, that would be the way to go out with the camera: decide what kind of walk you want to do: With light stuff and limited in optical way or with more or heavy stuff with better range and light on the sensor.

I don´t really understand the way Pentax went with the decision to make it such bigger and heavier compared to the old 16-50. Ok…it is better in all ways…but such (!) more metal, plastic, motors and glass…wasn’t that possible a little bit in the space of the old one? I´ve owned the old one too, and – different to your opinion @Sandy – the step for me was not “slightly”.

And the comparison to FF lenses is a little bit unfair ;-) …that was always the advantage of the APSC lenses (less weight and dimension), and with the new 16-50 PLM this was nearly gone.

But, @Sandy, good to know: I wasn´t aware of the FF 24-70…I thought it would lighter and smaller than the - for me not really APSC 16-50 PLM…puh…I was (beside looking @ the 20-40) always looking for the K1 (II) with exactly your mentioned lenses….I never had them in my hand (no camera, no lens). I knew, that the K1 is bigger and heavier (there are a lot of pictures and videos with the K3 (I,II,III) side by side…but I wasn´t aware that with the lens it´s even more bigger and heavier in that way you mentioned.

Ok...I will search for a good, used copy of the 20-40...normally I buy lenses new...

(don´t get me wrong with my above mentioned "complains" with the PLM: I like it a lot....the searching for the 20-40 is more a luxury problem)

11-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #17
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
I think, that would be the way to go out with the camera: decide what kind of walk you want to do: With light stuff and limited in optical way or with more or heavy stuff with better range and light on the sensor.

I don´t really understand the way Pentax went with the decision to make it such bigger and heavier compared to the old 16-50. Ok…it is better in all ways…but such (!) more metal, plastic, motors and glass…wasn’t that possible a little bit in the space of the old one? I´ve owned the old one too, and – different to your opinion @Sandy – the step for me was not “slightly”.

And the comparison to FF lenses is a little bit unfair ;-) …that was always the advantage of the APSC lenses (less weight and dimension), and with the new 16-50 PLM this was nearly gone.

But, @Sandy, good to know: I wasn´t aware of the FF 24-70…I thought it would lighter and smaller than the - for me not really APSC 16-50 PLM…puh…I was (beside looking @ the 20-40) always looking for the K1 (II) with exactly your mentioned lenses….I never had them in my hand (no camera, no lens). I knew, that the K1 is bigger and heavier (there are a lot of pictures and videos with the K3 (I,II,III) side by side…but I wasn´t aware that with the lens it´s even more bigger and heavier in that way you mentioned.

Ok...I will search for a good, used copy of the 20-40...normally I buy lenses new.

(don´t get me wrong with my above mentioned "complains" with the PLM: I like it a lot....the searching for the 20-40 is more a luxury problem)
MPB Berlin
icon/midnight/@menu

SOLD

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-25-2022 at 05:20 AM.
11-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
it to having no desire to use monster lenses with relatively short focal lengths on my KP
A lot depends on the way we get around and what else we carry, and what we like to shoot. My answer has always been both types have something of their own for advantages that are very important under certain circumstances. So I own both types, the HD DA 20-40mm Ltd, and not the new DA* 16-50mm PLM, but hanging on to both the 20-40 and for me my very satisfactory Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM lenses. For me they serve very different purposes. I often need very compact carrying. My usual kit for this are my KP with the HD-DA 20-40mm, HD DA 15mm, and HD DA 70mm Ltds. This is also in keeping with an obvious design goal of the KP- compactness with very high quality and versatile capability. But sometimes my needs for compactness are not as great, and a need to change FL rapidly (a zoom lens) along with moving subjects and/or reduced lighting being the conditions to be dealt with. My fast Sigma zoom lens is then just the thing. It can also be combined very effectively with my Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 for an excellent fast 2-zoom lens combo. This excellent, fast tele zoom lens is amazingly compact for what it is. Sandy is right, this combo is sooo much more convenient than having the DFA 24-70mm and DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 combo system on my K-1 II, lenses which I passed on.

When a fast f/2.8 constant-aperture zoom lens is what is needed, nothing else will do to meet this need.

I am happy to have both, very useful options.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-24-2022 at 05:36 PM.