Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2022, 01:51 AM   #1

Can I upload a DCP colour profile for the SMC-M 50mm f1.7 to Adobe Camera Raw v. 7?

Hi;

I've just bought a Pentax K-5, in order to use some Pentax vintage lenses. My first lens is the SMC-M 50mm f1.7. I like using it very much.
However, when I convert my RAW file to a DNG using the Adobe DNG converter, I sometimes find the colours are rendered a bit unnaturally.
I know this is subjective, and I have ACR and Photoshop CS6 to process the shot to my wishes. But I still would like to start off on the right footing.

A friend sent me a DCP profile for this lens. I do not know if I can upload this to my old version of ACR (v 7). If I can, and should, please could someone
advise me how to do this. In ACR I went to Basic...Camera Calibration.....Camera Profile and all I got was Adobe Standard. I then checked on Adobe's site,
but they had no profile for the K-5. Can I add still my DCP Profile to the Basic section of ACR. As you can see, I'm a little confused.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Mike

11-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mishko Quote
Hi;

I've just bought a Pentax K-5, in order to use some Pentax vintage lenses. My first lens is the SMC-M 50mm f1.7. I like using it very much.
However, when I convert my RAW file to a DNG using the Adobe DNG converter, I sometimes find the colours are rendered a bit unnaturally.
I know this is subjective, and I have ACR and Photoshop CS6 to process the shot to my wishes. But I still would like to start off on the right footing.

A friend sent me a DCP profile for this lens. I do not know if I can upload this to my old version of ACR (v 7). If I can, and should, please could someone
advise me how to do this. In ACR I went to Basic...Camera Calibration.....Camera Profile and all I got was Adobe Standard. I then checked on Adobe's site,
but they had no profile for the K-5. Can I add still my DCP Profile to the Basic section of ACR. As you can see, I'm a little confused.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Mike
Any reason you don't use native Pentax Camera DNG raw format? - I'd suggest to try this first.
11-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DCP profiles are camera profiles. Lens profiles are LCP files. Adobe supplied profiles are stored in different locations from user generated and downloaded profiles and of course will be different on Mac and PC. Which do you have?
11-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
I thought I had to convert using the DNG converter - but now I see I can go directly from RAW file to ACR - my other camera is a Nikon, which requires this conversion. So, thanks.

I'm using a PC.

Thanks for the quick replies.

11-25-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
User generated camera profiles should go in this folder - C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
User generated lens profiles should go in this folder - C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded
I think these folders are normally hidden so you would need to make them visible first.

I use the last standalone version of Lightroom and the Adobe supplied camera profiles are located here - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\CameraProfiles.
Adobe lens profiles are stored here C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0
I don't have Camera Raw installed but I think substituting Lightroom 6 with Camera Raw in the above locations will show them.
11-25-2022, 05:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
For some reason my lens profile is DCP - but as ACR 7 has no DCP CameraProfile file for the K-5 (though it does have them for K-7 and other models) I've installed my file in the CameraProfiles folder of ACR. I will now load this when running my Pentax Raw files through ACR.

Thanks very much for your help.