Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I think that this lens is bad.
Judging by the first picture (distance from camera to the building) and the info about f8 all parts of the building should be in focus. Well, according to DOF calculator.
Just my $0.02

12-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lens is obviously bad. 21mm and f8 are close to the sweet spot of that lens, plenty of depth of field to compensate for any focusing errors. It's disturbing to see so many defective lenses out there, it makes me nervous about Pentax QC - I guess I've been lucky so far!
12-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi

I am going to get back onto the supplier. Trouble is I live in Spain but I bought it in the UK, so it's really annoying to have to parcel it up here. Thanks for all your input. BTW I deleted the full image from the post as it was way too big. If anyone wants to see it please PM me.

Thanks.
12-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigershoot Quote
BTW I deleted the full image from the post as it was way too big. If anyone wants to see it please PM me.
For future reference you'd better off resizing images for web display (max 800-1000 pixels or so horizontally) before posting them. That would have been enough resolution to get an idea of what was going on.

I'd still recommend taking some more test shots and psoting them here before doing anything rash. I admit that since your posted image so so big it was impossible to see at once, that made it very difficult to judge what was going on. I initially said that the left side was much more distant than the right and so of course it wouldn't be in focus, and that is true. But then, there probably should have been *some* point in the water where it was in focus, even of the background you originally posted wasn't. So this poctuire probably *does* show some sort of problem. But it could have been a fluke not related to the lens itself - smudge on the lens, lens not mounted correctly, bad quality filter mounted in front of lens, etc. It would be worth taking some test shots in more controlled settings - with no filter on, with a freshly-cleaned lens, etc.