Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #1

Newbie to DSLR - Just got my K20D

Hi Folks

This is my first post - great site BTW.

My last Pentax purchase was an ME-Super back in 84. Today I went out shooting with my new K20D which has the 18-55 DMC AL II kit lens. It's my first foray into the DSLR world.

I am not so sure of the lens though - it gets good reviews on this forum. I have attached a crop of a photo to show the blur towards the edge. It was F8 at 21mm. The right of the image is about one third in from the left edge and is way sharper then the left edge - is this normal?

12-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would be useful to use the whole image to put this in context and see where the focus point was. Assuming the edges are actually within the zone of acceptbale focus, a 100% crop should look better than this, but it's impossible to tell from the posted crop if this *is* within that zone or not.
12-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Marc

Here is the original image. You can see that the centre is in focus - the edges are awful.

A separate issue is the black blob at the top. It's not muck on the sensor, it's not on the filter and I cannot as yet find it on the front or rear element. It is not visible in the viewfinder but shows up on every pic. It changes sharpness according to the F-stop used so it has to be lens related. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
12-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Well that black spot at the top certainly looks like sensor dust which just pops up in the images easily with small apertures.

12-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The black dot is most certainly sensor dust, there is nothing else it could be.

The sharpness doesn't look too bad in the image, it is about what is to be expected from the kit lens. It's not professional glass by any standards, but simply good value for the money.

Also, it is not the center of your image that is in focus, but the right side. Hence the reason why the left edge is even more out of focus.
12-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

In the future, you need to resize your images to about 900 pixels wide. The way you posted requires too much scrolling all over the place, and no one likes that.

Kit lenses are what the manufactuurer sticks on the camera for you to be able to take a picture. They are nothing particularly special, but that soft focus seems kind of bad.

The K20D will challenge the lens, though.
12-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The left side of the picture is much further from you than the center; no big surprise it isn't in focus.
12-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

I dunno, to be honest I've never gotten edges that bad on my kit lens at around F8 and FL around 21mm, irrespective of the conditions. I've gotten CA that was noticable but not as bad as that either. Actually my copy of the kit lens impressed me greatly, and if I was consistently getting photos yours I'd start to think something was wrong. But I guess its hard to judge anything on just one photo. At that distance with the left being closer marc could very well be right.

12-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. Apologies if there is too much scrolling needed to view. My concern is that the colonial building is MUCH sharper on the right of the building and is hopeless if you then look at the left of it. Surely the distance from me to the colonial building itself is fairly even.
12-26-2008, 02:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tigershoot Quote
Thanks for your input. Apologies if there is too much scrolling needed to view. My concern is that the colonial building is MUCH sharper on the right of the building and is hopeless if you then look at the left of it. Surely the distance from me to the colonial building itself is fairly even.
Surely, it is, but again you're not focused on the building to the left of the frame. You're focused on trees near the right of the frame. Specifically, ones much closer to you than the building in the background that's out of focus.
12-26-2008, 03:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
I'll take some more pics today and try out the lens throughly. Thanks.
12-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have found the blob is indeed muck on the sensor. This is annoying as I picked the body out of the box, got the cover off and fitted the lens (my only lens) straight away to ensure no dust got in. It must have been on the sensor already. I have tried the K20Ds shake mode but it made no difference. I can see the muck so I will check out the best way to get rid of it.
12-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
images a little small for my monitor, you should DEFINITELY LINK THESE
12-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I was never a big fan of the kit zoom and I would suggest upgrading to a better lens in the range if possible.
12-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #15

If you can't afford a new lens right now as I was when I got my K20D, do what I just did a few days ago which improves your images greatly....sync the lens to the camera using the AF adjustment in the custom menu. My kit lens was off by 2 point and made a difference close up.