Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #1

Fake DA40XS to be recognized as a DA40 limited

Hello
The new picture mode KYUSHU is only recognized for few limited lenses.

Is there any way to write the firmare of a DA40 to a DA40XS to make it compatible with the new camera firmware?

12-01-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Even if you could write or copy (does not seem possible, how would you download it) such a program for the firmware, how on earth would you upload it to your lens?
12-02-2022, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Reading and writing lens ROMs is no problem in general. Debug mode of old cameras like K7 has this option and is commonly used to switch old DA* lens from ultrasonic to screwdriver AF.
I remember some old discussions on a focus jump in one Limited that could be cured by a changed lens firmware
12-02-2022, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

An alternative "trick" I've tried, with reasonable success, is to download one of the published images that have been taken using the new Custom Images, load the image into DCU and do Save Parameter from the Laboratory section.
These parameters can then be reloaded into other images
I'm not suggesting it's a perfect solution, but to my uncritical eye it's a very good substitute

12-02-2022, 04:14 AM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
An alternative "trick" I've tried, with reasonable success, is to download one of the published images that have been taken using the new Custom Images, load the image into DCU and do Save Parameter from the Laboratory section.
These parameters can then be reloaded into other images
I'm not suggesting it's a perfect solution, but to my uncritical eye it's a very good substitute
Don't these have to be DNG and where are you finding them please?
12-02-2022, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Don't these have to be DNG and where are you finding them please?
They don't "have to be" DNG … the effects don't exist until the image has been processed in-camera, so will only be apparent in a JPG.
They're on the Ricoh website … see Function Expand Firmware | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING for the latest FUYUNO Custom Image, dig around through the previous updates for the earlier Custom Images.
As I wrote … I don't claim this is a "perfect solution" … but it's close
See also the discussion here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/446910-pseudo-katen-c...-settings.html

Last edited by kypfer; 12-02-2022 at 04:39 AM. Reason: added link
12-02-2022, 04:54 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
They don't "have to be" DNG … the effects don't exist until the image has been processed in-camera, so will only be apparent in a JPG.
They're on the Ricoh website … see Function Expand Firmware | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING for the latest FUYUNO Custom Image, dig around through the previous updates for the earlier Custom Images.
As I wrote … I don't claim this is a "perfect solution" … but it's close
See also the discussion here pseudo-KATEN Custom Image settings? - PentaxForums.com
Ahhh...thanks. I came to the DNG conclusion because the "save parameters" was greyed out when I tried a JPG from my files and not a DNG - but this works - cheers!

12-02-2022, 05:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Ahhh...thanks. I came to the DNG conclusion because the "save parameters" was greyed out when I tried a JPG from my files and not a DNG - but this works - cheers!
DCU will only handle images (JPG, DNG or PEF) straight from the camera.
Most third-party editing software will "mess with the EXIF", which DCU recognises as a "foreign" file so, although it'll view it, it won't process it.
Good luck
12-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
I meanwhile managed to read the XS-ROM!
Attached Files
File Type: txt LENSEEP.LNS.TXT (13.4 KB, 27 views)
12-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
I meanwhile managed to read the XS-ROM!
Bear in mind that if the lens "imitates" a Limited in one respect it's likely to be interpreted as such by firmware/software when applying lens corrections, profiles and so on, which may not be as advantageous as one might like
12-03-2022, 04:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can definitely read and edit the lens ROM pretty easily -- this procedure was done with older dual drive lenses like the DA *16-50 SDM to force them to use screw drive when the SDM motor burned out. As to what needs to be adjusted to make the camera think it is a different lens than it really is I have no idea. I would suppose you would simply need to figure what codes for the lens number assigned to the DA 40 and change it to the lens number assigned to the 40mm XS.