Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Tamron AF 28-200 f/3.8-5.6 Zoom

I was visiting one of the local camera shops yesterday and ran across this lens. This particular shop no longer carries pentax gear but had this lens buried in their stock room. IOW, it was "New, Old stock".

They were asking $125 for it. Realizing that this lens was probably at least five years old, I decided to offer them $60 for it. Not thinking that they would accept. Well, they did and I'm now the proud owner of this lens.

I don't think the range of the lens is that bad and it's just slightly larger than the DA 50-200, which I liked, but has the advantage of having the 28-50 range.

Anyone have this lens? If so, what is your opinion of it. Did I just waste $60?

TIA

Ed

12-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you like the lens? If so, then you didn't waste a single penny. If you dislike it, then yes, you wasted your money. That's all there is to it
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Do you like the lens? If so, then you didn't waste a single penny. If you dislike it, then yes, you wasted your money. That's all there is to it

Well Wally,

I don't know whether I like the lens, or not. Haven't really had a chance to use it yet, and was looking for comments on the lens from people who have, or have had, this lens.

Thanks

Ed
12-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Well Wally,

I don't know whether I like the lens, or not. Haven't really had a chance to use it yet, and was looking for comments on the lens from people who have, or have had, this lens.
But if I say I've used it (which I have, I've owned it before), and that I didn't really like the pictures it took (and I didn't) because they were too soft, with lots of distortion on the wide end, wouldn't that immediately change your opinion of the lens? If it doesn't, then great! -- Then there's no way any of us can sway your opinions one way or another -- but it also means there's no point in asking what we think And, if we all say how great it is, do you think you'd be quick to find fault with it?

I know people like to be reassured if they made a good purchase, I do it myself! But the only thing that really has any importance is what you think of it

12-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
But if I say I've used it (which I have, I've owned it before), and that I didn't really like the pictures it took (and I didn't) because they were too soft, with lots of distortion on the wide end, wouldn't that immediately change your opinion of the lens? If it doesn't, then great! -- Then there's no way any of us can sway your opinions one way or another -- but it also means there's no point in asking what we think And, if we all say how great it is, do you think you'd be quick to find fault with it?

I know people like to be reassured if they made a good purchase, I do it myself! But the only thing that really has any importance is what you think of it
Well, since I don't yet have an opinion of the lens, it would change nothing. What you said, however, would satisfy the requirement of the original query in that you would have given me your opinion of the lens. If that is, in fact, what you did.

If nothing else, your post was probably the finest example of "double-speak" that I have ever had the pleasure to witness.
12-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi Ed,

I do not own it, and my understanding is that it's a good travel lens. Try a Pbase search and see what you come up with in terms of images?

Cheers,
Marc
12-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Well, since I don't yet have an opinion of the lens, it would change nothing. What you said, however, would satisfy the requirement of the original query in that you would have given me your opinion of the lens. If that is, in fact, what you did.

If nothing else, your post was probably the finest example of "double-speak" that I have ever had the pleasure to witness.
Yes, you have no opinion of your own yet, but my personal opinion of it, that it's not a very good performer, is bound to influence your opinion when you begin to form it, after some period of use! That is the only point I'm trying to make

And yes, it was my genuine opinion. And yes, the opposing sides of my brain are good at vocalizing themselves simultaneously.
12-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have it and for $100 it's a bargain, for $60 it is a steal. As a day walk around lens it is great. Stop it down and it's just fine.

12-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Ed,

I do not own it, and my understanding is that it's a good travel lens. Try a Pbase search and see what you come up with in terms of images?

Cheers,
Marc
I'd have to agree with Marc. PBase is my first stop whenever I want to look at sample photos from a specific lens. You could also try looking over at Flickr, as their search engine there is pretty good, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I have it and for $100 it's a bargain, for $60 it is a steal. As a day walk around lens it is great. Stop it down and it's just fine.
I don't own a copy of that lens, but yeah, for $60, that looks to be a good buy already.
12-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

is it the XR IF model? that one is a bit smaller than the non-XR model
i had it for a while and it's not the greatest lens ever but it doesn the job decently well
$100 USD is what i sold mines for well although i paid more than that to get it