Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks vinzer

I got the lens (new in box from old stock) for 5SGD (less than 4USD) due to its sticky aperture blades problem. Opened it up and got the blades cleaned by myself (first time for me), the lens works great after that. I think the experience of opening up a lens alone is worth far more than the cost
4 freaking bucks? Not bad at all! Even if you did have it cleaned elsewhere (where I am, that's around 10 bucks), you're only out 14 dollars, which is still pretty low compared to the KEH rate (admittedly higher than eBay, but I've sworn off auctions from the last-minute sniping I got before) for an M 50/1.4.

Was it hard to clean the lens? I've got a stuck-aperture Adaptall lens here, but it's a zoom lens, so I'm not sure how much more complex this could be, especially for someone like me who has never disassembled a lens before.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Frank, I have a few Cosina lenses, and there is nothing "doggy" about them. Their only problems are a weird feel in the focus ring for the used ones (new old stock 55mm f/1.2 feels just fine) and the lack of 'A' contacts on most of them. Other than that they're nice, under-the-radar lenses.
It would be nice to learn more about other under-the-radar lenses. It helps my wallet. At least I know now that Cosina MF lenses are keepers.

Cosina's AF lenses are much worse in build quality, that's for sure (not to mention the tacky AF logo on the side). But optically, there are also gems from that bunch (mine's the 100mm 3.5 macro).

12-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
4 freaking bucks? Not bad at all! Even if you did have it cleaned elsewhere (where I am, that's around 10 bucks), you're only out 14 dollars, which is still pretty low compared to the KEH rate (admittedly higher than eBay, but I've sworn off auctions from the last-minute sniping I got before) for an M 50/1.4.

Was it hard to clean the lens? I've got a stuck-aperture Adaptall lens here, but it's a zoom lens, so I'm not sure how much more complex this could be, especially for someone like me who has never disassembled a lens before.
Yeah, it's not bad at all for its cost. Actually it's pretty good optically, very good built quality too. But MF isn't as smooth as our Pentax lenses, although it's very good.

It's not hard to clean a lens, but it's pretty hard to put everything back to order. So far the only lenses I've opened up are a couple of Cosina 50mm lenses, but I guess most prime manual lenses are pretty much the same. My next practice would be a Pentax A lens (either an A50/1.7 or A24/2.8), will see how it goes...
12-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Hmmm, most if not all look very grainy, very compressed and not one looks very sharp. The first one looks like it's from a camera phone. Sorry...

You may need an eye exam, haha, they all look great to me, very sharp, with nice colors !!
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Frank, those are very impressive!

12-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
You may need an eye exam, haha, they all look great to me, very sharp, with nice colors !!
No, Dave is right, the first one looks pretty bad. It's probably from JPEG compression, or poor resizing. There's some kind of optical aberration in the middle and other places. All the others are much better but pretty soft and grainy, but being at f/1.4 (and assuming a high ISO) I don't expect much different even with the best lenses. The only picture that's really sharp and focused is the one of the Santa sign. You can clearly see in the full-size crop that it is sharp with good color.
12-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it is just personal taste then, as all but TWO people agree that these shots look pretty damn good And especially for a $4 lens !!
12-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I guess it is just personal taste then, as all but TWO people agree that these shots look pretty damn good And especially for a $4 lens !!
Well it's funny, you say "it's just personal taste" like David or I are admonishing frank's photography skills. I can't speak for Dave, but that's not what I'm doing. There seems to be a strictly technical problem that is producing poor results.