Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2022, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Laowa 100mm Macro Lens or Pentax?

I just bought this lens as I was attracted by the rare 2x macro function. Unfortunately it would not communicate with my K1 with just a letter F showing in the camera display so I had to return it. I liked the small size of the lens and it was nice and lightweight but I did find the focus barrel was very stiff to turn and it could have done with a lot more 'grip' on the barrel to get hold of. Interested to hear if anyone has some good comments using the lens as I'm torn on whether to order a replacement or pay more for the very new Pentax 100mm macro. I won't just use this for macro but also want to use it as a viable 100mm portrait lens too so this must come into consideration on what to buy. Any thoughts gratefully received.

12-08-2022, 05:17 AM   #2
Unregistered User

It didn't communicate with the camera because it is a manual lens.
Info here
Laowa 100mm F2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
12-08-2022, 05:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you do not need 2x Macro, the Pentax DFA 100 AW is a better all-round lens with AF, full electronic communication with camera, and AW weather sealing.
12-08-2022, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
It didn't communicate with the camera because it is a manual lens.
Info here
Laowa 100mm F2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thanks Craig, it's manual focus yes but the aperture link was not working either and it is meant to have automative aperture control. You cannot even view what shutter speed or lens aperture is in use in the camera as that was not displaying. I'd need a separate hand held light meter to work out an exposure but even then the camera will not let me select shutter speeds. I'm pretty sure it's faulty.

---------- Post added 12-08-22 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If you do not need 2x Macro, the Pentax DFA 100 AW is a better all-round lens with AF, full electronic communication with camera, and AW weather sealing.
I've never done any macro pics so it was a pure 'that sounds good' buy but I am leaning more to the Pentax now. It would be really good it's somewhere near as compact as the faulty Laowa.

12-08-2022, 05:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPRLondon Quote
Thanks Craig, it's manual focus yes but the aperture link was not working either and it is meant to have automative aperture control. You cannot even view what shutter speed or lens aperture is in use in the camera as that was not displaying. I'd need a separate hand held light meter to work out an exposure but even then the camera will not let me select shutter speeds. I'm pretty sure it's faulty.
The aperture ring easily slips out of the 'A' setting - in which case the camera would not be able to know the aperture and show 'F'. Maybe your's didn't signal the 'A' position to the camera correctly.

Anyway, as a general purpose lens, already the DFA100WR handles much better, in many ways (focus throw, scales, hood, aperture lock, cleaning, has AF), is more compact, has better flare resistance/contrast in difficult light, is actually an f/2.8 lens (the LAOWA more f/3.5-ish) and is weather sealed. The LOAWA has nicer foreground rendering and outstanding LoCA correction. The DFA100AW apparently has narrowed that gap, from what I've seen so far (not much), and even received a software AF limiter, so that would be my personal pick at the moment.
12-08-2022, 06:16 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Ahhh, ok - I have the oldest version of the DFA Pentax 100mm and it is a super lens with the new one looking even better (adios purple fringing!)
12-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Ahhh, ok - I have the oldest version of the DFA Pentax 100mm and it is a super lens with the new one looking even better (adios purple fringing!)
Thanks, John

12-08-2022, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was the aperture ring in the A position?

Did you allow use of aperture ring on your camera?

If the anwwer to both these questions is yes, then the lens was probably faulty indeed. Otherwise there's your answer

As the review shows, it's an optically excellent lens.

The question now is how you balance the 2x magnification of the Laowa vs the WR and AF of the Pentax. Only you can decide which is most important between those two options.
12-08-2022, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #9

I just bought this lens as I was attracted by the rare 2x macro function. Unfortunately it would not communicate with my K1 with just a letter F showing in the camera display so I had to return it. I liked the small size of the lens and it was nice and lightweight but I did find the focus barrel was very stiff to turn and it could have done with a lot more 'grip' on the barrel to get hold of. Interested to hear if anyone has some good comments using the lens as I'm torn on whether to order a replacement or pay more for the very new Pentax 100mm macro. I won't just use this for macro but also want to use it as a viable 100mm portrait lens too so this must come into consideration on what to buy. Any thoughts gratefully received.
I have the Laowa 100 mm macro lens and can adjust the settings from my Pentax cameras. It is however very easy to accidentally move the aperture ring on the lens away from the A-position. My solution to avoid this is to use the optional tripod collor and mount it on the lens so that the aperture ring can not be moved around. Mounting the lens on a tripod is very useful for macro work anyway, as the depth of field is very narrow.

So I do recommend the Laowa for macro work. I also have an older version of the Pentax 100 mm macro and like it too. If you need to use a 100 mm lens for general purpose photos too, the Pentax 100 mm is the way to go. (My best and most used macro lens is the Sigma 70 mm, but that is another story.)

I attach a Photo of a butterfly taken with my Pentax K1 Mk 2 and the Laowa 100 mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-08-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Petero, that's a stunning pic.
12-08-2022, 08:50 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Here is one I took with the KP and the oldest DFA 100 - if you click on it you see it bigger. This was shot at f2.8
12-08-2022, 09:37 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

From Laowa website: "Only Canon EF version is equipped with a CPU chip and motor for aperture control via the camera.
All other mounts are manual and aperture is controlled by the aperture ring on the lens".
https://www.laowalenses.ca/product/100mm-ultra-macro-apo/

Please watch our PentaxTips video on how to use manual lenses with the K-1:

You can still use the K-1 light meter to determine shutter speeds for your manually selected aperture.
12-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Laowa 100mm vs Fa 100mm

I jave just purchased the Laowa 100mm Macro X2 and I am very happy with the lens. I was the owner of a SMC FA 100mm and a FA 50mm for macro work and I find that the Laowa strenghts are Sharpness, the A setting that works fine on my K1 II and the 2x factor is important for me. I never used the auto-focus function of the 2 FA's. I strongly recommend the Laowa 100mm, here is a picture.
For the A setting, true that you need to make sure it is engaged on the lens and that your camera allows A setting lenses but it works fine.

and a test of a stack

also you should love the possibility tu use infinite focus on the Laowa for landscape photography.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by ramiot; 12-08-2022 at 06:37 PM.
12-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
From Laowa website: "Only Canon EF version is equipped with a CPU chip and motor for aperture control via the camera.
All other mounts are manual and aperture is controlled by the aperture ring on the lens".
https://www.laowalenses.ca/product/100mm-ultra-macro-apo/

Please watch our PentaxTips video on how to use manual lenses with the K-1:

https://youtu.be/kROaDXbtpjY

You can still use the K-1 light meter to determine shutter speeds for your manually selected aperture.
The Laowa comes in KA mount with an "A' setting on the aperture ring and contacts on the mount. When set to "A" the aperture is set by the body and all exposure modes are usable. Only the focus is manual unless you use Manual exposure mode but even then the aperture can be set with the edial.
12-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Laowa comes in KA mount with an "A' setting on the aperture ring and contacts on the mount.
So Laowa's website is wrong?

---------- Post added 12-08-22 at 11:58 AM ----------

The paragraph on their website continues on to state:
"Nikon F mount version now features Ai coupling – a mechanical aperture coupling compatible with advanced Nikon cameras that tells the camera the maximum aperture of the lens".

Maybe it's something similar with Pentax with older Laowa models not containing the A setting on the ring and only the newer ones do?