Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DFA 21mm or upgrade to K-3 III first?

Hi there. I've been itching to buy myself something photography-related for the holidays, but I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to ask for help in getting out of it.

I have a K-3 II right now that's paired with a 16-85, plus a DA 21mm in reserve, & I couldn't decide between buying a K-3 III or buying a GR IIIx. Recently though, I remembered that the DFA 21mm came out not long ago and the reviews were great.

To move forward with my decision-making (because I need to go on my New England vacation this Monday), I wanted to ask this forum what would you choose to do in my situation. Buy the stellar lens and stick with the K-3 II? Buy the K-3 III and settle for the DA 21? Or ditch the DSLR system and go for the GR IIIx instead.

Thank you!

12-14-2022, 06:47 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I would go for the K-3 iii. However, I was upgrading from a K-5 for my APS-C camera, so it was a giant step up for me. (I have the K-1, but wanted a lighter camera for travel.) As you know, the 16-85 is a great lens and pairs well with the K-3 iii. I am personally happy with my DA 21 and I am not planning to upgrade that.
12-14-2022, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my opinion the DFA 21mm 2.4 LTD is a lens that is best suited to FF use as it was designed for. This is often not the case for lenses which can happily perform equally well on both formats. But this particular lens has characteristics that are brought out best by the larger format (transition to OOF and bokeh).

I have not seen a comparison, but I fear you will be disappointed with the DFA 21mm LTD. What do you expect it to do that your current DA 21mm cannot ?
12-14-2022, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with @pschlute. The D FA 21 Ltd would most likely be simply a somewhat "better" DA 21 for you, and the DA 21 is already pretty good.

I would choose the GR IIIx, I've had a thing for that camera since it came out.

12-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
In my opinion the DFA 21mm 2.4 LTD is a lens that is best suited to FF use as it was designed for.

I have not seen a comparison, but I fear you will be disappointed with the DFA 21mm LTD. What do you expect it to do that your current DA 21mm cannot ?
Honestly, I didn't even realize that the DFA 21 was designed for FF use. I just thought it was an improved version of the DA 21. I know that the DFA is weather-sealed while the DA isn't, & I just assumed that was just one of the many improvements the DFA 21 had over the DA 21.

---------- Post added 12-14-22 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I would choose the GR IIIx, I've had a thing for that camera since it came out.
The GR series has intrigued me for a long time, same here. The lack of weather resistance in winter conditions is my genuine worry about it.
12-14-2022, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too agree that the DFA 21mm f/2.4 is primarily a FF lens and very suitable for the K-1 II which is also available new. But a lot depends on your shooting interests. The DA 21mm is a very compact and handy walk-around prime lens for APS-C in good lighting, while the DFA is not as compact, but has a much faster aperture and superior overall image quality, which might be beneficial if you need that aperture capability. This lens really shines on the K-1 II, which besides being able to deliver the resolution this lens is capable of, has excellent low-light higher ISO performance.

That said, the most sensible and economical path for you would seem to be- replace your K-3 II with an upgrade to the K-3 III, which also will be a huge jump in terms of low light/higher ISO performance. This will also mean you can shoot in lower light more effectively with the slower-aperture DA 21mm lens. If you don't own this lens, you might consider getting the newer HD version as your small walk-around prime, then also get the incredibly small HD DA 15mm f/4, which will provide the same ultra-WA view on the K-3 III that the DFA 21mm would provide on the FF K-1 II. It is a wonderful performer. I have this lens, and it is so small it lives in the front zipper accessory pocket of my holster-type camera case usually containing my KP and easy to forget it is there until I need to go ultra-wide. It will provide this without the huge linear distortion of your DA 16-85mm zoom lens. Good for scenes containing architecture, or other linear factors.

And when needing WR, you already have that in your HD DA 16-85mm lens. If you would like smaller carrying with WR, there is the HD DA 20-40mm WR Ltd, which is what I use in my compact kit- the HD DA 15mm Ltd with the HD DA 20-40mm WR Ltd on the KP, and the HD DA 70mm Ltd in pocket.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-14-2022 at 07:58 PM.
12-14-2022, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

I bought my K-3iii and my D-FA21mm at the same time. There was a good deal at the time on both. The combo K-3iii + D-FA21mm is truly outstanding:
The D-FA21mm controls my mind - PentaxForums.com
I would recommend very strongly the D-DA21mm on the K-3iii.
I have a K-3, and the K-3iii is a major step forward. But the F-FA21mm... Gosh!!! Whooo!!! What a gem.....
My 5 cents.....

Last edited by hcc; 12-14-2022 at 09:34 PM.
12-15-2022, 02:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I bought my K-3iii and my D-FA21mm at the same time. There was a good deal at the time on both. The combo K-3iii + D-FA21mm is truly outstanding:
The D-FA21mm controls my mind - PentaxForums.com
I would recommend very strongly the D-DA21mm on the K-3iii.
I have a K-3, and the K-3iii is a major step forward. But the F-FA21mm... Gosh!!! Whooo!!! What a gem.....
My 5 cents.....
Can't disagree with that! And if later deciding to go FF as well, it becomes a gem all over again as a fast ultra-WA!
12-15-2022, 02:14 AM   #9
pid
Pentaxian

The DFA 21 is just awsome. I loved my little DA 21 but the DFA 21 is just magic and it is perfect on my K-1 and K-3III. It is a real Limited lens and best compagion for the three amigos, now they are four amigos.
12-15-2022, 03:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
Honestly, I didn't even realize that the DFA 21 was designed for FF use. I just thought it was an improved version of the DA 21. I know that the DFA is weather-sealed while the DA isn't, & I just assumed that was just one of the many improvements the DFA 21 had over the DA 21.

---------- Post added 12-14-22 at 07:44 PM ----------

The GR series has intrigued me for a long time, same here. The lack of weather resistance in winter conditions is my genuine worry about it.
DFA identifies a lens as full frame while the DA designation identifies a lens as designed for use on a camera with the APS-C size sensor.
12-15-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tough call. You could:
a) Buy the K3-III, sell the old camera, and hold off on the DFA lens until you have enough saved from the sale of the old camera and more disposable income. Downside is you will have to learn a new camera. I don't think you'd regret this, unless you want the old camera as a backup. The new one is just superb. I finally broke down and bought a K3-III.
b) The GR-IIIx is a fun camera. I have the GR-III and love it almost as much as my 645Z. I take it travelling everywhere - desert, mountains, cold, down the street. Like all electronics, I try to keep it dry. And its small enough to tuck inside my coat to keep warm. The GR-IIIx lens is nice and wide and I would have preferred that if it had been available. In this case, if you did a), you could buy the GR-IIIx before the DFA lens and still come out ahead I think.
c) Buy the lens and be happy. It's not a replacement for what you have, as its full frame capable, and superb. I have one and use it on the K1. I think this gives you the least "Bang-for-the-buck" of the options.
Good luck with your decision.
12-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Stick with your K-3 Mark II. And the K-3 Mark III will not make you a better photographer than you are, it makes you poorer (moneywise). It is a lot of money for that camera and if save some more money buy a K-1 and the DFA 21mm. Then you have an FF camera alongside an APS-C camera. The price of the K-1 is at the moment quite interesting.
12-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #13

Preferences for selecting gear are very personal, so I can only give you my view.

The GR is a completely different thing compared to DSLRs. I would stick with the DSLR.

If you buy a DFA 21 mm you'll get a lens (I don't have it, but probably it is very good) with a focal length you already have: DA 21 mm AND DA 16-85mm. So it will add nothing to your possibilities.
The K-3 III is significantly better than the K-3 II. Especially the autofocus system is improved, but you will also appreciate the better viewfinder.

So I would choose the K-3 III. And if you can later afford an extra lens, I would choose one that extends my possibilities, so either a wider angle (top is the DA* 11-18) or (and if possible) the DA 55-300 PLM).

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your holiday present!
12-15-2022, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

We do so love to help people spend their money.
Personally with my K-1 and K-3, we don't get much use out of our DA 21 ltd. It requires specific shooting conditions, low contrast and soft light to do well. I'd go for the DFA 21 ltd. That being said, the K-3iii will make every one of your lenses easier to use.

It's a conundrum...
12-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
I suggest you read the in-depth review of the DFA 21, I think and hope you'll find enough information in there to determine if it's the lens for you. Based on what you write, I think the K-3 III is probably a better upgrade path than the new 21mm but it truly depends on your use case, what you find lacking in your current setup, what you want to do but can't.

There's also a review of the K-3 iii that you might find useful