Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2022, 07:07 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAKS Quote
Des and others, I have a question about the 15mm. On travel I like to take a small setup to dinner to shoot the restaurant and food, and us at the dinner table. Will the 15 be too wide and produce too much distortion? Is f4 fast enough?
With the K3-III, I think it would be, but I don't have that experience yet.
thanks,
David
The 15 is a bit hard to use in that scenario - on the one hand it’s good at emphasis with a close object perspective. It’s also wide making a an image of a smaller space easier. But it can distort people sitting close to you unless they are framed carefully. It is however doable. The DA 21 is slightly faster, narrower, and a touch less likely to distort.

12-19-2022, 08:21 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks, that what I suspected and wanted to know.
David
12-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It’s also wide making a an image of a smaller space easier. But it can distort people sitting close to you unless they are framed carefully. It is however doable.
Sometimes this little lens is the only way to get everything in when shooting space is minimal, so it is necessary to put up with some imperfections. I have even used it for a selfie plus one other included, with my little K-S2's selfie feature- camera held in reverse at arms length!
12-19-2022, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAKS Quote
Des and others, I have a question about the 15mm. On travel I like to take a small setup to dinner to shoot the restaurant and food, and us at the dinner table. Will the 15 be too wide and produce too much distortion? Is f4 fast enough?With the K3-III, I think it would be, but I don't have that experience yet.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 15 is a bit hard to use in that scenario - on the one hand it’s good at emphasis with a close object perspective. It’s also wide making a an image of a smaller space easier. But it can distort people sitting close to you unless they are framed carefully. It is however doable. The DA 21 is slightly faster, narrower, and a touch less likely to distort.
I haven't tried the 15 indoors. I could imagine an interesting shot with the 15 very close to the food, taking in the overall ambience. In a busy restaurant it might want subject separation and f4 might not be enough. The bokeh of the 15 isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about. There isn't a lot of distortion for a UWA lens, and a people shot could work if they aren't close to the edge. But it would be just be a better version of one of those "in the moment with my friends" shots that people take all the time with their phones. I agree with UV that 21 might give a better perspective. The DA 20-40 works well for this sort of thing.

12-19-2022, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Sometimes this little lens is the only way to get everything in when shooting space is minimal, so it is necessary to put up with some imperfections. I have even used it for a selfie plus one other included, with my little K-S2's selfie feature- camera held in reverse at arms length!
I have selfies from this lens also. Centered a person isn’t too bad if you aren’t on top of them. It’s the edges and framing a group I worry about.

Look at my hands and my head in this shot: IMGP1555-pp by -vanya_42nd-

My hands are exaggerated in size because they are closer to the lens. If this was a group shot around a square table, the two people on the side of the table would be larger than the person opposite my seat.

Contrast with this where I’m close but not as close as my hands were.

IMGP1544 by -vanya_42nd-

I’m mostly centered which helps.

Or this cat: trust me he isn’t skinny at all. IMGP2855-BW-CROP by -vanya_42nd-

Incidentally I’ve lost a lot of weight since these shots were made. I don’t think about it until I see it in old photos.