Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Caution: FUYUNO (winter field) requires HD FA lenses, not FA AL

Pentax released firmware updates for the K3-iii and K1-ii to add a new color personna, FUYUNO (winter field). They advertise that the updated firmware will present the new option once you attach an HD PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited or HD PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited lenses. As luck would have it, I have a K1-ii and a 31mm F1.8 Limited lens. I installed the latest firmware, attached the lens, but did not see the new item show up in the menu.

I reached out to Ricoh out of curiosity to see if I was doing something wrong. They responded right away to tell me that I have a "legacy" limited edition lens and not the NEW "HD" limited edition lens. The difference is a new lens coating and rounded aperture blades. The new HD limited lenses are selling for over $1k although, as I type this, b&h has them marked down to the non-HD price.

I admit I'm a bit put off... not being able to avail myself of a feature I didn't know I wanted nor likely to use. It's so unlike Pentax to punish someone for not having the very latest lens. It's akin to Nikon disabling Matrix Metering if you attach a non-Nikon lens. I use them as an example since I've not known Pentax for these types of marketing tactics. They usually bend over backward for their customers.

I already own the complete collection of the The Three Sisters limited edition lenses. It's just... mildly annoying. I wanted to give a shout out to anyone contemplating the purchase of a Limited Edition Lens that you'll be at a disadvantage purchasing a "legacy" lens rather than an "HD" lens, despite the very minor differences, imho.

Last edited by h.butz; 12-20-2022 at 04:30 PM. Reason: corrected SMC to FA AL
12-19-2022, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
idk, sorta seems like it's the same as being upset that they're not rolling out the firmware colour profiles to every lens and not just the specific ones.
They are going for a certain unique look that requires a certain lens...
The smc is not the same as the HD...
12-19-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't this the fourth such release? They are all limited to specific lenses, are they not?
12-20-2022, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

We had a bit of a chat here pseudo-KATEN Custom Image settings? - PentaxForums.com when the KATEN custom Image was announced … testing would indicate that it's not too difficult to use the published settings in DCU to generate a "pseudo-KATEN" effect which is virtually indistinguishable from a "real" one.
I've made "pseudo-KATEN" images from pictures taken with my *istD and a Sigma 17-35mm (heresy!) and I've even adapted these settings to a User Mode which works well in my KP with any lens.
I've not bothered to try using FUYUNO, I've not found a subject that I felt might benefit from it, but might anticipate a similar course could prove fruitful.
Good luck

12-20-2022, 03:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Isn't this the fourth such release? They are all limited to specific lenses, are they not?
It's the third "lens-limited" Custom Image, KATEN, KYUSHU and now FUYUNO, corresponding to Summer, Autumn and Winter … we await the Spring release
There was an original SATOBI Custom Image which is universally available for any lens, in all cameras that support it, and is also included as an option in DCU.
12-20-2022, 04:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I wanted to clarify - I did not originally post "SMC" (my post was moderated). I have an FA AL limited edition 31mm lens which this mode does not work with. Pentax introduced NEW HD FA limited edition lens which is not very much different than the FA AL lenses I have.
12-20-2022, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by h.butz Quote
I have an FA AL limited edition 31mm lens
I think you might have a misunderstanding.
The 'FA AL' is more commonly known as the 'SMC' version. They are the same thing. There are only two versions of this lens, the SMC version and the new HD version.
Also, it's not called 'Limited Edition' - it's only 'Limited' - it's the 'Limited' series of lenses. Somewhat similar to the '*' series of lenses.
The HD version has a different 'look' than the SMC. Pentax is going for very specific 'looks' with these profiles.
They did not roll this colour profile to any other lens, just the HD version.

12-21-2022, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the left you have the Fuyuno effect and on the right the Satobi effect :
Attached Images

12-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by h.butz Quote
Snip……

I admit I'm a bit put off... not being able to avail myself of a feature I didn't know I wanted nor likely to use. It's so unlike Pentax to punish someone for not having the very latest lens. It's akin to Nikon disabling Matrix Metering if you attach a non-Nikon lens. I use them as an example since I've not known Pentax for these types of marketing tactics. They usually bend over backward for their customers.
You might want a better example because Pentax matrix metering only works with Auto exposure lenses also
12-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The artificial limitations in these firmware updates is sad. It’s at odds with the philosophy of backwards compatibility the brand followed so far, and undermines the utility of the unique feature itself. I hope they revisit the idea and eventually unlock these modes.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 12-27-2022 at 08:38 PM.
12-28-2022, 03:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

At the end of the day, it's all a bit of a sales gimmick … you buy one of our nice new shiny lenses and you'll be able to utilise the special in-camera Custom Image settings we've developed.
OK, so that was a management decision, and maybe they managed to get it wrong
If it's being used as a bonus attraction to sell lenses the feature should at least have been made available on a wider range of cameras.
A pre-existing owner of a KP, K-70 or even earlier model might be more likely to upgrade or expand to a new lens if there was a bonus feature available.
Having to replace the camera as well would probably be a non-starter for many owners, certainly just for a Custom Image setting!
12-28-2022, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't a big deal. (a) these are jpeg only modes -- anyone like me who shoots RAW is automatically left out. (b) clearly they are using these modes to encourage users to purchase new lenses -- understandable. (c) you can easily create your own jpeg setting that emulates this -- either in camera or in DCU. fs999 has the adjustments you need to make to emulate either of these. Once you create your own jpeg setting you can easily use it for whatever lens you choose.
12-28-2022, 03:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
... fs999 has the adjustments you need to make to emulate either of these. Once you create your own jpeg setting you can easily use it for whatever lens you choose.
What is "fs999" please?
12-28-2022, 03:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
What is "fs999" please?
He is a photographer on the Forum. If you see his post above, he posted the adjustments that each of the most recent two jpeg settings take to achieve in camera.

*Caution: FUYUNO (winter field) requires HD lenses, not SMC - PentaxForums.com
12-28-2022, 03:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
He is a photographer on the Forum. If you see his post above, he posted the adjustments that each of the most recent two jpeg settings take to achieve in camera.
Thank you