Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax SMC-A 70-210/F4: Front Element Removal

I was browsing the local Craig's List and found this lens supposedly unused, in the box for $50. Turned out to be a young kid parting out his deceased father's collection. Looks pretty spotless, no scratches, BUT it has apparently some fungus inside the front element. When I pointed this out to the guy all he would say is, "I don't know nothing about it". (Sure, whatever.) Anyway I took it for $30, in hopes that I can clean it up. (Wouldn't be the worst $30 I ever spent!!!)
I wonder if anyone has had experience removing the front element on this or similar lens. I've searched extensively for this info to no avail. I HAVE found how to disassemble the Takumars but this lens has NO spanner-wrench type slots on the front element, or any other visible screws or anything to get it off. Does anyone know how this front element can be removed? If I can get the fungus off this lens it looks this lens would be a lot of fun. Thanks for any info!
Paul

12-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #2

i took apart a carl zeiss jena screwmount lens that had no spanner slots or anything on the front. i used a bottle and a rubber bottle-opening-gripper-thing (the rubber so the bottle grips the front and doesn't slip). i just pushed and turned. might work for you...
12-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey all I can do is try! Thanks for the tip.
12-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Success!

Architorture you rock! The job is done, the fungus gone. I didn't have one of those rubber things, I searched the entire house and all I could come up with was...a rubber scuba fin! And yes it worked. So now I am very happy with my $30 lens! Thanks again.
Paul

12-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #5

glad to be of service.

i just hope you got it back together properly. the lens i did (cleaned the aperture blades) still does not close down reliably. i think something mechanically is loose, or perhaps the spring is worn-out.

anyway, congratulations!