Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #1

How daring can I get with the weathersealing on the DA* 16-50?

Hey everyone, I just received a DA* 16-50 for Christmas (OH YEAH) and I've loved using it for the past two days, no bad copy here it seems! Anyways, I am familiar with the shots of the K10D and DA 16-50 that show the equipment drenched in water, but I was wondering how careful do I have to be when using these? Should it only be in light/moderate rain or can I go in much heavier rain conditions? Also, is there any general concerns you guys have about using this setup in any type of weather conditions? I'd really appreciate the help!

So far this lens has been fantastic though. The images that come out of this lens really just look 'right', it simply produces very pleasing effects. I'm not really one to get into the entire testing discussion, but from what I can tell it is a fine complement to my FA 77. I also love how it handles and balances the K10D.

Last edited by messthetics; 12-27-2008 at 04:19 AM.
12-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #2

I've hiked long distances with very heavy rain with mine, and there were no problems.

Even an unsealed camera can take light rain.
12-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

As long as the camera/lens isn't submerged, I don't think you'll have a problem. I've used both of my DA* lenses in heavy driving rain and never had any problems.

Just be sure the camera is dry when you start taking things apart.
12-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

in heavy rain you might want a filter to protect from the elements / make it easier to clean the lens

12-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i regularly get a bit of water over mine just to make the zoom ring smoother in action... Seriously.

Got mine a month ago and no problems yet. Going from hot to cold quickly can cause condensation inside the camera which is the biggest problem, and with the lens being sealed it doesnt allow the moisture to get out as quickly.
12-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think common sense will dictate how much you *want* to push the envelop with your expensive gear. I know with the weather sealing of the body and lens, it is designed to be "weather resistant", but dare to say "weather proof". In a light rain, I wouldn't hesitate to pull things out and fire away, but in a heavy, soaking rain, I'd be covering my precious gear with something to take the abuse. No reason to ask for potential problems.

Jas