Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
RubyT's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 294
old teleconverter question

A friend of mine sent up some old cheesy film cameras that she found in her grandmother's storage space for my children to play with. She included what turned out to be a 2X Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter. The bottom of the box says 1987, and it's a Pentax/Ricoh mount. It appears to be in LN condition. I don't know anything about teleconverters. Could I use this on my K100DS?

The box also says "P/K-A R-P/K." K-mount?

Thanks for your help.

12-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Peterborough UK
Posts: 37
Old Teleconverter

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
The box also says "P/K-A R-P/K." K-mount?

.
I would be careful. Ricoh used the Pentax mount but added an extra pin which can cause the mount to jam on a Pentax camera. I would do a search on this or other photo sites for more details before risking using it.

Old Pentax televonverters work fine though with certain limitations e.g. manual only.


Archie
12-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member
X Man's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 478
Yes, you can use it and it will turn a 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro lens! The PK/A ones are worth just under $100 and the PK versions are worth about $70.

Google "Ricoh Pin" because as helios says some stuff for Ricoh K-Mounts had a pin that can be a real PITA. I don't know if that TC has one or not, but it's pretty simple to remove if it does.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
A friend of mine sent up some old cheesy film cameras that she found in her grandmother's storage space for my children to play with. She included what turned out to be a 2X Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter. The bottom of the box says 1987, and it's a Pentax/Ricoh mount. It appears to be in LN condition. I don't know anything about teleconverters. Could I use this on my K100DS?

The box also says "P/K-A R-P/K." K-mount?

Thanks for your help.
12-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
RubyT's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 294
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely google "Ricoh pin."


Last edited by RubyT; 12-27-2008 at 08:43 AM.
12-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
WJW
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 378
QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
I think it does, there is a weird sort of handle-looking thing on one side, it's in a slot and moves back and forth in the slot. My lenses (DA 40, FA 50, Sigma 17-70) do not have this.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely google "Richoh pin."
I think what you are seeing the aperture actuating arm like the one inside your camera next to the mirror. That is to move the aperture lever on the mounted lens.

If you take the TC and a lens and look at the bottom mount on each, the Ricoh pin will be where the AF drive connection is on the Pentax lens. WHat happens is the pin can catch on the drive connection on the body mount and be anywhere from a PITA to get off to impossible. Found out the hard way about 20 years ago when it took me several days to get a lens off an AF film body.

BTW, here is a mount drawing showing the AF points. The Ricoh pin falls exactly where the AF connection is shown in the drawing.

Features and Operation of the Kaf Mount
12-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,965
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I think what you are seeing the aperture actuating arm like the one inside your camera next to the mirror. That is to move the aperture lever on the mounted lens.

If you take the TC and a lens and look at the bottom mount on each, the Ricoh pin will be where the AF drive connection is on the Pentax lens. WHat happens is the pin can catch on the drive connection on the body mount and be anywhere from a PITA to get off to impossible. Found out the hard way about 20 years ago when it took me several days to get a lens off an AF film body.

BTW, here is a mount drawing showing the AF points. The Ricoh pin falls exactly where the AF connection is shown in the drawing.

Features and Operation of the Kaf Mount
Useful info, thanks.
Dave
12-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
RubyT's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 294
Original Poster
Thanks for the site. I think you are right about what I was looking at (started thinking it wasn't after I posted). This one has a bunch of contacts and I'm going to have to get out one of my lenses so I can compare them very carefully. I'm not particularly mechanical, but luckily have mechanical family members.
12-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,965
If it has electrical contacts, it'll work nicely; you'll have all functions except autofocus I think. Just be careful of the "Ricoh Pin".

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
box, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, teleconverter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Old 3x Teleconverter on Kx Question chefpete1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 06-29-2010 12:25 PM
teleconverter question total.boredom Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 02-10-2009 11:51 AM
teleconverter question RubyT Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-28-2008 09:45 PM
Teleconverter Question scott-devon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 06-11-2007 06:46 AM
Teleconverter question scott-devon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-17-2006 06:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top