Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
old teleconverter question

A friend of mine sent up some old cheesy film cameras that she found in her grandmother's storage space for my children to play with. She included what turned out to be a 2X Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter. The bottom of the box says 1987, and it's a Pentax/Ricoh mount. It appears to be in LN condition. I don't know anything about teleconverters. Could I use this on my K100DS?

The box also says "P/K-A R-P/K." K-mount?

Thanks for your help.

12-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Old Teleconverter

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote

I would be careful. Ricoh used the Pentax mount but added an extra pin which can cause the mount to jam on a Pentax camera. I would do a search on this or other photo sites for more details before risking using it.

Old Pentax televonverters work fine though with certain limitations e.g. manual only.

Archie
12-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, you can use it and it will turn a 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro lens! The PK/A ones are worth just under $100 and the PK versions are worth about $70.

Google "Ricoh Pin" because as helios says some stuff for Ricoh K-Mounts had a pin that can be a real PITA. I don't know if that TC has one or not, but it's pretty simple to remove if it does.

Regards,
Mike
A friend of mine sent up some old cheesy film cameras that she found in her grandmother's storage space for my children to play with. She included what turned out to be a 2X Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter. The bottom of the box says 1987, and it's a Pentax/Ricoh mount. It appears to be in LN condition. I don't know anything about teleconverters. Could I use this on my K100DS?

Thanks for your help.
12-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely google "Ricoh pin."

Last edited by RubyT; 12-27-2008 at 08:43 AM.
12-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
WJW
Veteran Member

I think it does, there is a weird sort of handle-looking thing on one side, it's in a slot and moves back and forth in the slot. My lenses (DA 40, FA 50, Sigma 17-70) do not have this.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely google "Richoh pin."
I think what you are seeing the aperture actuating arm like the one inside your camera next to the mirror. That is to move the aperture lever on the mounted lens.

If you take the TC and a lens and look at the bottom mount on each, the Ricoh pin will be where the AF drive connection is on the Pentax lens. WHat happens is the pin can catch on the drive connection on the body mount and be anywhere from a PITA to get off to impossible. Found out the hard way about 20 years ago when it took me several days to get a lens off an AF film body.

BTW, here is a mount drawing showing the AF points. The Ricoh pin falls exactly where the AF connection is shown in the drawing.

Features and Operation of the Kaf Mount
12-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I think what you are seeing the aperture actuating arm like the one inside your camera next to the mirror. That is to move the aperture lever on the mounted lens.

If you take the TC and a lens and look at the bottom mount on each, the Ricoh pin will be where the AF drive connection is on the Pentax lens. WHat happens is the pin can catch on the drive connection on the body mount and be anywhere from a PITA to get off to impossible. Found out the hard way about 20 years ago when it took me several days to get a lens off an AF film body.

BTW, here is a mount drawing showing the AF points. The Ricoh pin falls exactly where the AF connection is shown in the drawing.

Features and Operation of the Kaf Mount
Useful info, thanks.
Dave
12-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the site. I think you are right about what I was looking at (started thinking it wasn't after I posted). This one has a bunch of contacts and I'm going to have to get out one of my lenses so I can compare them very carefully. I'm not particularly mechanical, but luckily have mechanical family members.
12-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If it has electrical contacts, it'll work nicely; you'll have all functions except autofocus I think. Just be careful of the "Ricoh Pin".