Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2023, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Lens Inventory Spreadsheet

I got to looking at the Pentax Lens Roadmap, and thought that would be a good format to do a personal lens inventory. I find that the graphical side of it highlights any "holes" I may have on the focal length side. I tried to make this work with charts, but box charts don't actually work the way I want them to, so just ended up shading cells in.

Anyway, this sheet has my list, but by all means download it and update it for your own stash of gear.
GitHub - robvandenbrink/LensInventory: Lens Inventory, Graphical Focal Length

If you have any suggestions I'm happy to update the sheet for more features etc (the next iteration will likely have serial numbers for instance)

Attached Images

01-06-2023, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should be able to use some conditional formatting logic to do the shading if you split out the min and max focal length lines - will see if I can’t play with it this weekend.
01-07-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
Should be able to use some conditional formatting logic to do the shading if you split out the min and max focal length lines - will see if I can’t play with it this weekend.
I was trying to keep it simple, but definitely go for it if you have a use for it!
01-07-2023, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My version from many years ago

I posted this many years ago

I had a scale in mm from 10-100, and then in 10 mm steps above 100mm. This way you could see better the difference between 50, 55, and 58 mm for example.

I also showed overlaps with different shades for with and without teleconverters etc.

Also it is useful to list lenses always in order of focal length, within each series, M42, K, KA, and AF

01-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I had a scale in mm from 10-100, and then in 10 mm steps above 100mm. This way you could see better the difference between 50, 55, and 58 mm for example.

I also showed overlaps with different shades for with and without teleconverters etc.

Also it is useful to list lenses always in order of focal length, within each series, M42, K, KA, and AF
Cool, looks like I’m late to the game :-)
01-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Cool, looks like I’m late to the game :-)
Not really, this topic comes up time after time
01-08-2023, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I set up a fork with auto-highlighting - happy for feedback - GitHub - zzaletel/LensInventory: Lens Inventory, Graphical Focal Length, autohighligting focal length table

Addendum: Played with it a bit more this morning with fresh eyes and saw that I didn't fully implement some of the focal length logic for proper plotting. Will update and upload a new revision.

Last edited by zzaletel; 01-09-2023 at 01:28 PM.
01-15-2023, 03:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Anyway, this sheet has my list, but by all means download it and update it for your own stash of gear.
GitHub - robvandenbrink/LensInventory: Lens Inventory, Graphical Focal Length
Awesome idea, thanks for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Do you remeber in which thread you posted it?
01-15-2023, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Awesome idea, thanks for sharing!

Do you remeber in which thread you posted it?
Posted it and also the excel file

See here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/59343-reth...-lenses-2.html

Rethinking my lenses - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/64100-lens...aph-excel.html

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-15-2023 at 05:43 PM.
01-17-2023, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to keep my lens inventory in a data file and create a diagram of f-stop (wide open) over focal length - points for primes, a line for zooms. to that, I added the combinations I actually use in photographs. As I use both APS-C and FF, some lenses appear twice in the diagram, which does show equivalent field of view and depth of field scales for both formats, so one needs some time to read it. I haven't refreshed those diagrams in a while, but examples are in To K1 or not K1 - that is the question? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com.
Basically every lens below a certain set of image dots can be used to take the photographs for the images above above it - in the format represented by the like-colored scale (red FF vs. black APS-C). I have not updated it in a while, that could be a fun thing when I'm back home next week. I have long purchased most of the green candidates and others, sold some ...
01-17-2023, 01:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I like to keep my lens inventory in a data file and create a diagram of f-stop (wide open) over focal length - points for primes, a line for zooms.
As I use both APS-C and FF, some lenses appear twice in the diagram, which does show equivalent field of view and depth of field scales for both formats, so one needs some time to read it.
To K1 or not K1 - that is the question? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Basically every lens below a certain set of image dots can be used to take the photographs for the images above above it - in the format represented by the like-colored scale (red FF vs. black APS-C).
I have not updated it in a while, that could be a fun thing when I'm back home next week.
Very interesting, thank you for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
In order to analyze what this would mean in terms on lenses and my (our) actual way to take pictures - choice of field-of-view vs. depth-of-field - I dug out a set of scripts that I wrote when I bought my K-5 to check lens options, which analyzed a selection of my prior DSLR pictures (EOS450) for how they were actually taken.

I plotted the exposures as dots in terms of focal length vs. aperture, smeared out so that you see the number of pictures as density.

Then I added my lenses in terms of focal length and minimum F-number. All those are black in the diagram and refer to the black axes.

Basically I could have taken every picture with a lens below the respective blue dot. Some adapted and pre-A glass doesn't have F-stop recorded and are listed around F/1 instead.

Now I added the lenses which are full-frame compatible on a another pair of axes (in color) again with roughly corresponding field-of-view and depth-of-field. So I could take similar pictures (perspective, DoF) as those blue dots above the respective colored lens marks using the full K-1 sensor at full resolution, full SNR etc. I also added, in color, some other FF lenses that I am considering. The zoom lenses are a bit sketchy on how they change variable aperture, but the whole diagram aims at an overview, not precision. To identify each lens, most are obvious choices, is left as an exercise to the reader

This thread starts to becoming a quite unexped collection of lens spreadsheets