Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tokina RMC 28 f2.8
old and cheap, still it's a strugle to get a decent looking shot out of it....

12-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
M40/2.8, bought used.

I always wanted to see what all the fuss over this lens was about, so I bought one on this Forum.

On my K10D I don't think it is anything special. 60mm equivalent seems to have no real purpose.

If I did more street shooting it might work on my MESuper - almost as a pocket camera since my MESuper is sort of beat up anyway (and I might keep it just for that) but I surely don't understand why this lens commanded such a premium price for so many years on the auction sites.

Perhaps someone on this thread will enlighten me.

Get the DA ltd incarnation...
it's a stunning lens. While the focal length still takes some getting used to (I actually grew to love it) that lens is producing some stunning images...
BR
12-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm, it's almost a toss up for me. First, I'd say the Tamron 70-300 Di Macro I bought new. My first and only new lens purchase. But it was so cheap what did I expect? Still, horrible purple fringing, not sharp at any focal length, slooooow AF, noisy, that stupid Macro switch locking up the zoom ring? Rubbish.

But, close is an Auto Sears 55mm f/1.4 lens that I had high expectations for. Tomioka, sexy... Rubbish. Terrible bokeh, I sold it on eBay with a slow aperture for $50. I disclosed the slow aperture and the buyer was happy enough but I still feel a little bit bad about it.

Regards,
Mike
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

M40/2.8

Misere: This whole exercise is about rationalizing my gear for use and leaving collecting behind me. I have way too much money tied up in pretty lenses that hang out in canvas bags - something like pretty girls who don't do anything but be pretty.

I could even upgrade to a K20D when the next version arrives (or even now), but what I SHOULD do is part 2 of my September LBA Anonymous pledge - take pictures with what I have (left) and post them or sell them or give them away to my friends.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I was also curious about this lens, but gave up trying to get one as I wasn't ready to pay $150-200 just to satisfy my curiosity. As fate would have it, I ended up getting one as collateral baggage on an LX I "won". It's been on my ME Super for about a month...and I still haven't shot anything with it Haven't mounted it on my K10D, as I too wondered what I would do with 60mm-equiv.
Mine is cosmetically well-used but excellent glass, etc. Kind of fits in with my MESuper, which has seen regular use since 1984 and has the scars to show for it (unlike my KX, which was a gift and which I have used gently). I paid $95, which price was the temptation.

I have a long list of lenses and excess bags to sell bit by bit, and I'm keeping only three shorter K lenses. The 55~300 is good enough for my needs and skill for reach.

I'll likely get something very wide, but the K35/3.5 and K28/3.5 are excellent landscape lenses on film and can be good on APS-c.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Get the DA ltd incarnation...
it's a stunning lens. While the focal length still takes some getting used to (I actually grew to love it) that lens is producing some stunning images...
BR
Thanks for the reply axl

This lens just might make the cut as described in my post, permanently attached to the MESuper - mostly because I think its time as an overpriced cult lens has passed.

The 40 Ltd is why the M version has passed its time. There are other Limiteds ahead of it.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.
12-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My disappointment of 2008 was the lack of even announcing the coming of the DA*11-16mm f/2.8. C'mon Pentax, just buy the rights to it and do what you do to make it a DA*!
12-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Tamron 28-75 XR Di I was one of the people that literally gushed over this lens and it was always great. If not on the camera, it was nearby.

Well one day I took it out and it seemed a little soft after viewing the images. Next time worse and it's continued to get worse. It will AF but the images all have serious ghosting in them. Still shoots sharp close up. I suspect an element is out of alignment. Since all my lenses are in pouches and then in a camera bag, it was never abused. It just crapped out.

Since i got it used, it's not really worth sending in for repairs. Probably would cost $150-200 incl shipping to fix and they sell for $250 on fleabay. Don't know if I'll be able to replace it since there's not much like it out there.

Anyone want it cheap to try and fix or tear apart?
12-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Tamron 28-75 XR Di I was one of the people that literally gushed over this lens and it was always great. If not on the camera, it was nearby.

Well one day I took it out and it seemed a little soft after viewing the images. Next time worse and it's continued to get worse. It will AF but the images all have serious ghosting in them. Still shoots sharp close up. I suspect an element is out of alignment. Since all my lenses are in pouches and then in a camera bag, it was never abused. It just crapped out.

Since i got it used, it's not really worth sending in for repairs. Probably would cost $150-200 incl shipping to fix and they sell for $250 on fleabay. Don't know if I'll be able to replace it since there's not much like it out there.

Anyone want it cheap to try and fix or tear apart?
Is the 6 year warranty available in Canada? I cannot confirm what is available.... it may only be the US.

Perhaps try calling the Tamron USA Service Department at 1-800-827-8880, Option 1.
12-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

My dissapointment is really the delay of Da* 55 f1.4 and Da 15mm ltd lenses. It seemed to take forever to be released. In the mean time, I had purchased so many lenses from other brands!

12-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Marc, Unfortunately even though it has the same warranty here, I bought it used. A few bucks saved was no savings at all in this case.
12-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Not exactly a *big* disappointment, but I was kind of bummed that the DA17-70 was not weather sealed. I thought Pentax had a nice consumer marketing angle here, but by not releasing a sealed consumer zoom and then releasing the non-sealed Km/K2000, they sort of squandered that opportunity, IMO.
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Well, I purchased my first Pentax DSLR (K20D) in 2008, so all of my lenses are new-to-me for 2008.

The good:

Kit 18-55mm - a fine lens, within its limitations.

Tamron 70-300mm Di LD - very nice for the price if you don't expect miracles. I can deal with the purple when it appears.

FA 50mm f/1.4 - bad autofocus behavior with incandescent lighting, but I will forgive that flaw for the many other virtues this lens provides.

Takumar 200mm f/3.5 preset - my favorite lens. Feels good in the hand, a joy to use, and pictures come out great.

Peleng 17mm f/2.8 fisheye - fun, sharp, unusual. And I got it cheap!

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (multicoated version) - very sharp, and mounts reasonably well to the Pentax bayonet.

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 - just fantastic.

The bad:

Super Takumar 135mm f/2.5 - OK for low-contrast situations when focus is dead-on, but a train wreck of green and pink chromatic aberration otherwise. Have to stop down to f/8+ to avoid.

Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter - image quality just isn't that great, in either macro or tele use.

The ugly:

Tokina SD 28-70mm - I couldn't get a single redeeming shot out of it, so I sold it at a garage sale attached to a Ricoh film SLR for $10. Fortunately, I hadn't paid any more than that, so no loss.

ATAN 70-210mm f/3.5 - Vivitar Series 1 equivalent, I think. Ghosts heavily at wide apertures.
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tamron 28-75....3 bad copies in a row. If not for B&H's great return policy, I'd be totally ticked at Tamron. Their in-lens motor sucks and they really need to steal Sigma's ring HSM design...
12-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
Moderator PEG Judges

My biggest disappointment for 2008 was not getting hold of my own SMC Pentax-A* 400mm F2.8 ED.
12-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a long list of lenses and excess bags to sell bit by bit, and I'm keeping only three shorter K lenses.
I made a pledge 8 weeks ago to sell all gear that was superfluous, including some great lenses like the Viv Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro (that sale still hurts)

21 items sold and counting!
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I made a pledge 8 weeks ago to sell all gear that was superfluous, including some great lenses like the Viv Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro (that sale still hurts)

21 items sold and counting!
Selling doesn't hurt so much - it's just the price buyers are willing to pay . . .