Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Selling doesn't hurt so much - it's just the price buyers are willing to pay . . .
Yeah, it's a bad time to be selling, that's for sure

12-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hin: This whole exercise is about rationalizing my gear for use and leaving collecting behind me. I have way too much money tied up in pretty lenses that hang out in canvas bags - something like pretty girls who don't do anything but be pretty.
You should be proud of yourself doing what is necessary to keep your LBA under control. I have tried various means such as selling a bunch of unused lens and cameras. But every lens that I sell, I end up buying a different or newer lens to satisfy my curiosity. And I am my worse enemy in controlling LBA. There is at one point, I get down to 12 lenses and 1 camera, but it does not last long before it get back to 16 lenses. I think I have sold at least 2 digital, 6 film cameras, 45+ lens over last year in PF marketplace to manage my LBA. You can see Hin's Sold Gear for reference

I am happy! That is my best excuses in LBA and I will continue my efforts in selling unused gear whenever I find it feasible. What I can hope in the new year is to slow down the purchase and take time to enjoy the lens that I have in possession.

My biggest disappointment is perhaps with Lester A Dine 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Dental Macro. It is unfortunate that I don't find myself liking the legendary macro lens like others do. Perhaps it is more due to user errors and my biased grief towards its stiff and long focusing ring, and my inability to easily shoot 1:1 macro with the lens. I can fault the legendary lens in PF finding but I can't easily fault the lens in 1:2 close up as it has the best color out of all the lens that I have used for Macro.

Last edited by hinman; 12-29-2008 at 06:03 PM.
12-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the Sigma 70-300mm APO before a trip to Greece, and returned it a week later. The thing was incredibly massive and heavy and not at all suited for vacation use. I was much happier with the Pentax 50-200mm I got to replace it.
12-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter

My biggest disappointment was wasting time worrying about why the corners of the brick wall image I shot at f2.8 with a DA* 16-50 were soft. I sent the lens back, but then started looking at the rest of the real-world images I shot with it, crisp and sharp, sizzling with detail. I took it back and resolved to worry about more important issues.

12-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I know this is total heresy, but I'm somewhat lukewarm to the 31ltd that I just picked up. It just isn't a quantum leap up from my 35ltd, and the 35 is more flexible (doing close focus and having quick shift). While it is a very nice lens, it just doesn't pop *for me* like my 77ltd does. It also has from front focus issues. It may just be what and the way I shoot.

I'm actually pondering sending it back and instead going with a Zeiss 25/2.8 to get a little wider.
12-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Nostatic, have both the 31 and 77. The 31 actually outperforms my 77 (its close though). Try the 31 some more. It is an incredible lens.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!
12-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I have to say my biggest disappointment this year is not a lens but the inability to use it. I spent a lot of money on a DA* 300/4, a BH-55 ballhead and a Feisol tripod to mount an attack on the migrating Eagles that show up here in the winter. After a couple of days shooting over a couple of weekends, the weather went straight down the tubes. It started with an arctic cold front that descended on us where the temps dropped to 0 degrees F and below and stayed there. Then a perfect storm developed over Vancouver. A low pressure system that stalled there and the CCW winds drew warmer wet air from the south and dumped 36 inches of snow on us in 36 hours.....and that just got things going. We've had, believe it or not, almost 90 inches of snow in about three weeks. I'm so tired of shoveling snow I could scream. Last night and today we got another 12" of snow. The shop where I work is on a hill and we finally got a front end loader to come and get the snow out of our parking lot and the street was so slick that if he lifted his bucket he would start sliding down the hill so the parking lot is still just loaded with snow. I'm used to dealing with snow but this is unbelievable. Sunday was our first day above freezing since this ordeal started and jeez now we have a whole new set of problems, well then we got the next 12 inches last night and today, like I said. It has now quit snowing, gotten cold and the wind is howling! That's ok cause the next storm is lined up and will be here tomorrow night and then the next one is due Friday, I think they said.
And my nearly $2000 investment sits there while I continuously try to keep up with the snow load.
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #38
m8o
Veteran Member

In response to the OP... Gotta be the 60-250mm f/4 for me. Not that I care anymore tho. Which is the saddest part.

Close 2nd has to be all those de-centered 50-135/2.8 samples I've seen lately. :ugh:

12-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #39
Voe
Veteran Member

My biggest dissapointment lens is the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125mm macro only because it is so unavailable and expensive nowadays. It is my dream lens to have, but not at the current price.

Damn Cosina, you must start producing this lens again!
12-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nostatic, have both the 31 and 77. The 31 actually outperforms my 77 (its close though). Try the 31 some more. It is an incredible lens.
thanks
barondla
D
I'm going to do that. I was just going back and looking at shots from the past few days with it and comparing with the 35ltd and the 43ltd. I went on a little buying spree picking up both the 43 and 31 within the past 2 weeks. Of all of them the 77 is still my favorite. I'm probably in the minority, but it is my favorite lens. The 35ltd is a "must have" for me as I like the close focus ability, and then question then becomes one of overlap. I'm not into collecting lenses, and instead like to just have a few that I really like and know. Redundancy bugs me unless there is some quality to the image that is different. I think there is an overall vibe difference between the 35 and the 31...I just haven't found the sweet spot with the 31 in my use yet. I know it isn't the glass but the nut behind the camera...
12-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #41
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Tamron 28-75....3 bad copies in a row. If not for B&H's great return policy, I'd be totally ticked at Tamron. Their in-lens motor sucks and they really need to steal Sigma's ring HSM design...
What are you talking about regarding a "in-lens motor" in the 28-75???
12-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Nostatic, I have to agree with Barondla here. I have both but just got the the 77 and although I've shot a few pics with the 77, I haven't had a chance to really run it through it's paces. But what I have seen has not disappointed me, though:-). It's definitely on par with the 31. I suggest you use the 31 in a lot more situations before coming to your conclusion, it may just start growing on ya. I hear ya when you say the 35 may be a bit more versatile with it's macro capabilities but you have to remember that is not what the 31 was designed to do.
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I have to say my biggest disappointment this year is not a lens but the inability to use it. I spent a lot of money on a DA* 300/4, a BH-55 ballhead and a Feisol tripod to mount an attack on the migrating Eagles that show up here in the winter. After a couple of days shooting over a couple of weekends, the weather went straight down the tubes. It started with an arctic cold front that descended on us where the temps dropped to 0 degrees F and below and stayed there. Then a perfect storm developed over Vancouver. A low pressure system that stalled there and the CCW winds drew warmer wet air from the south and dumped 36 inches of snow on us in 36 hours.....and that just got things going. We've had, believe it or not, almost 90 inches of snow in about three weeks. I'm so tired of shoveling snow I could scream. Last night and today we got another 12" of snow. The shop where I work is on a hill and we finally got a front end loader to come and get the snow out of our parking lot and the street was so slick that if he lifted his bucket he would start sliding down the hill so the parking lot is still just loaded with snow. I'm used to dealing with snow but this is unbelievable. Sunday was our first day above freezing since this ordeal started and jeez now we have a whole new set of problems, well then we got the next 12 inches last night and today, like I said. It has now quit snowing, gotten cold and the wind is howling! That's ok cause the next storm is lined up and will be here tomorrow night and then the next one is due Friday, I think they said.
And my nearly $2000 investment sits there while I continuously try to keep up with the snow load.

I hear you. Do you have a zoo nearby with indoor sections, or a conservatory, or and indoor arboretum? Or a big mall? Those are all places I shoot in in the Winter. It might be a hassle to set up a tripod, but you could bring a monopod or just try some handheld shots - I'm able to handhold my Tammy 70-200 2.8 pretty well during zoo shooting.

Even if you don't get the ultimate shot, it's a lot more fun than looking at your gear on the shelf!
12-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I'm going to do that. I was just going back and looking at shots from the past few days with it and comparing with the 35ltd and the 43ltd. I went on a little buying spree picking up both the 43 and 31 within the past 2 weeks. Of all of them the 77 is still my favorite. I'm probably in the minority, but it is my favorite lens. The 35ltd is a "must have" for me as I like the close focus ability, and then question then becomes one of overlap. I'm not into collecting lenses, and instead like to just have a few that I really like and know. Redundancy bugs me unless there is some quality to the image that is different. I think there is an overall vibe difference between the 35 and the 31...I just haven't found the sweet spot with the 31 in my use yet. I know it isn't the glass but the nut behind the camera...
You're not crazy - my 31ltd was one of the best lenses I've shot, but I sold it anyway - it was too close to the DA 35ltd, which I'll never sell, it was a big chunk of change that could have gone elsewhere, and it didn't drop my jaw like the 77 does.

As much as I liked the 31, I think I like the 43ltd more, and my style of shooting matches the 77ltd better. Imagine that, the 31ltd is my 4th favorite limited!
12-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You're not crazy - my 31ltd was one of the best lenses I've shot, but I sold it anyway - it was too close to the DA 35ltd, which I'll never sell, it was a big chunk of change that could have gone elsewhere, and it didn't drop my jaw like the 77 does.

As much as I liked the 31, I think I like the 43ltd more, and my style of shooting matches the 77ltd better. Imagine that, the 31ltd is my 4th favorite limited!
Well, I never claimed to not be crazy.

I've been working a bit more with the 31 tonight and it is a bit more to my liking but I'm still on the fence. Interestingly I warmed back up to the 43. That's a lens that gave one of the best portraits I've seen (actually my g/f snapped the shot), but then I started to pixel peep and that just isn't what these lenses or my "style" are about.

Part of it is dialing in the AF adjust and figuring out how the various lenses behave under different light. I often shoot in quite poor lighting so it can drive the K20d a little nuts. After swapping lenses and staring at far too many pics, at the risk of generalization here's what I've found shooting tonight in dim light. Both the 43 and 77 have a wonderful "3D" rendering of objects, and the 77 is still my favorite for people/faces, though the 43 is good as well. The bokeh on the 31 is fantastic and outdoors and stopped down it is quite crisp. But open I find it to be a little flat and not as flattering with faces. Could be operator error, but since I'm stuck with me, it is what it is. The 35 ends up having a bit more clarity but at the expense of resolution if that makes sense. There's just no substitute for being fast. It also isn't as "warm" with people. They all do have a different feel/look.

I need another round of shooting outdoors and also with more people rather than static objects. But it seems the 35 could cover that general focal length and the money could be spent on something I don't have at the moment like a CV 58/1.4. Always something else to ponder...at least I think I've talked myself out of an a900 (again).