Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Everyone sees differently, I suppose, but I personally consider 40mm the single most useful focal length on APS-C. It was by far the most used focal length on my 18-55 when shooting landscapes for references for my paintings, and was also the most used focal length when shooting indoor candids with the same lens. I have a 28 and a 50 also, but the 28 is usually wider than I want and the 50 usually longer. 40 nails it. So I never understand how people can think of it as a useless focal length - to me, it's far more useful than 28, 31, 35, 43, or 50 (to name some others that people might be inclined to turn to instead).

But like I said, we all see differently, I guess.

12-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I had 4 purchases, the 12-24, 77, 35/2 and the 18-250. As crazy as it sounds the 77 is probably the dissapointment, the first day I got the lens I took half a dozen stunners and I just cannot seem to do anything right with it now.

It has a tendency to back focus, it needs to be almost undserexposed when shot wide open or images seem to be almost too bright but the real killers are horrendous cyan fringing in OOF areas and atrocious AF.
Like you, my "biggest disapointment" (not *that* much actually) would be the 77. I don't have overexposures but the fringing is there and AF at f/1.8 seems to be hit and miss, even on the K20D. Note that I did some fantastic shots with it though, so I'm far from 100% negative about it. Another problem is that I don't have much use of this focal length.

My favourite for 2008 would be the DA40 Ltd (amongst the DA*16-50 & 50-135, FA77, DA12-24, DA10-17). Almost no flaws and a more useful FL than anticipated.
12-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I guess the lens that I gave up pretty quickly was the DA 40mm Limited.

After the initial euphoria about the compactness of it, I found the f/2.8 maximum aperture just too limiting for a prime, the minimum focusing distance was nothing to shout about. Being a Tessar design, the lens is very even in center and edge sharpness but I just felt it just didn't have that extra something when compared to the FA 43 Ltd and even with the cheaper FA 50.
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

It's really interesting to see totally conflicting opinions. Part of it seems to be the whole expectations thing, another aspect is how/what people shift, and then what people are looking for.

The 40 never interested me because it is just too small - the balance seems off. Plus the 43 is faster, and is about the perfect size for my use. I'm really interested to see what the 15ltd is like.

12-31-2008, 12:03 AM   #65

The only lens I bought this past year which I didn't really wind up liking was the DA 14mm f/2.8. It was too soft wide open and I didn't find the focal length as useful as the 12-24mm f/4 lens so I sold it and got the zoom instead.
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
jeffrey r

Well, in 2008, I purchased the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Pentax DA 70 Ltd., and Pentax DA* 50-135mm. Love them all, so no disappointments for me in 2008
Jeffrey: I own and love the Tammy 17-50mm. I see you also have the Tammy 28-75mm. What can you tell me about the 28-75 as it compares to the 17-50? You do not seem to have any regrets with what is referred to as "lens overlap "?

I have often thought about getting the 28-75 Tammy, but fear the money can be put to better photographic needs. Perhaps you can show me otherwise?
12-31-2008, 01:46 AM   #67
Veteran Member

A Major Let Down

I know that this may come as a Major SHOCK to most of you, but I actually purchased a lens to complete my arsenal, the "HOLGA" 60mm fixed aperture f 8.0 lens, with three all plastic NON Multi-coated lens elements and a soft plastic bayonet Kmount which comes off of the camera as I attempt to focus. I figure it should last at least 50 on and off mounting moves before it totally disintegrates. Oh and I literally have to keep the lens in place while focusing or it will fall off of the body. I spent 39 hard earned dollars on that baby and was hoping that it would fill the space between two of my other gems, the Pentax Ltd 43mm and Pentax Ltd 70mm. I can't believe that after investing so heavily in a lens that it was such a disappointment. Oh, one good thing. The picture quality SUCKS so much that the photos are actually "SUCK KOOL".

Last edited by benjikan; 12-31-2008 at 02:03 AM.
12-31-2008, 06:37 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Jeffrey: I own and love the Tammy 17-50mm. I see you also have the Tammy 28-75mm. What can you tell me about the 28-75 as it compares to the 17-50? You do not seem to have any regrets with what is referred to as "lens overlap "?

I have often thought about getting the 28-75 Tammy, but fear the money can be put to better photographic needs. Perhaps you can show me otherwise?
In brief, I had first bought the Tamron 28-75 as a replacement for my kit lens, and I had/have no regrets. I love the results from the Tamron, and the range fits my shooting needs for a walk-around lens well, as the majority of my photos are of my family. I kept the 18-55 kit lens around for situations where I needed a wider angle lens until I sold it along with my *ist DL. So once I sold the kit lens, I needed something around for occasional wide angle use. Hence the Tamron 17-50, overlap notwithstanding. At under $250 new on ebay at the time, it simply wasn't a huge stretch to pick up the 17-50. Still, for my usage and needs, the 28-75 will be on my k200 more often than the 17-50.

Overall, I find the IQ of the 2 Tamrons to be very similar, but there is plenty written about each on this and other forums, mostly positive. As with all of this stuff, only you can decide what is "too much" overlap for your own tastes.

12-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I know that this may come as a Major SHOCK to most of you, but I actually purchased a lens to complete my arsenal, the "HOLGA" 60mm fixed aperture f 8.0 lens, with three all plastic NON Multi-coated lens elements and a soft plastic bayonet Kmount which comes off of the camera as I attempt to focus. I figure it should last at least 50 on and off mounting moves before it totally disintegrates. Oh and I literally have to keep the lens in place while focusing or it will fall off of the body. I spent 39 hard earned dollars on that baby and was hoping that it would fill the space between two of my other gems, the Pentax Ltd 43mm and Pentax Ltd 70mm. I can't believe that after investing so heavily in a lens that it was such a disappointment. Oh, one good thing. The picture quality SUCKS so much that the photos are actually "SUCK KOOL".
I would LOVE to see some samples. Your style, with *that* lens, should be ... interesting!
12-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
It's really interesting to see totally conflicting opinions. Part of it seems to be the whole expectations thing, another aspect is how/what people shift, and then what people are looking for.
I agree. There are some lenses that so many people RAVE about that I sorta figured they were beyond all rational criticism -- the 50-135, the 40 pancake, the 77. But they all appear here!

Probably partially a result of heightened expectations. They're not BAD, they just don't always live up to the "OMG this is God's Own Lens" hype.
12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I agree. There are some lenses that so many people RAVE about that I sorta figured they were beyond all rational criticism -- the 50-135, the 40 pancake, the 77. But they all appear here!

Probably partially a result of heightened expectations. They're not BAD, they just don't always live up to the "OMG this is God's Own Lens" hype.
You need to be careful who does the raving and if they use or used the lenses on film. Digital has the potential for so many abberations that it's hard to compare with old film opinions.
12-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The picture quality SUCKS so much that the photos are actually "SUCK KOOL".
holga's may be technically crap but there are plenty of good pictures taken with them. they do add a special effect to certain scenes.
01-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #73
Forum Member

I gotta agree with roentarre/james. The DA 15mm ltd is the lens I was most looking forward too from pentax that didnt come about.

Also gotta agree with a lot of the 50-135 disappointments as mentioned in this thread. Seems QC has slipped on them as of late. Wouldve sent mine back for repair if I could.
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Tamron 28-75....3 bad copies in a row. If not for B&H's great return policy, I'd be totally ticked at Tamron. Their in-lens motor sucks and they really need to steal Sigma's ring HSM design...
I've got you beat on this one Ken, after going through three bad copies of the Tamron 28-75mm from BH (not such a good return policy for me, they said those duds were fine and charged me return postage on the last) I thought the problem could just be stock at BH, so I got a fourth one from Dell on ebay - this was the worse lens I've ever used.

I returned it and got a Sigma 17-70mm, it works fine.

Has anyone else gone through four bad copies or more of a single lens?
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Biggest disaoppointment of 2008 : I'm still buying lenses...

as for the lens...I think its probably gotta be my Soligor C/D two touch 70-210/3.5. A tad of ghosting at f3.5 but pretty decent otherwise. It was a total impluse buy as I already had the venerable Vivitar S1 70-210 v2. I got something that was heavier, larger and a little more clumbersome to use.