Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2023, 01:12 AM   #16
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I took this with the 10-17 on my K-1 in crop mode. So this is what you will get at 10mm on aps-c.

wow! What a photo!
What type of control room is this ??

01-17-2023, 02:21 AM - 5 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HD DA 10-17 @ 10mm on the KP

SMC DA 10-17 @ 10mm

SMC DA 10-17 @ 17mm

K 17/4.0

01-17-2023, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
wow! What a photo!
What type of control room is this ??
This is the Electrical Control Room in my home town Woking, Surrey , UK

It was built in the 1930's in art-deco style and controlled the electrical supply to a large part of the railway in the county. Testament to it's practical design, as well as it's form, it continued in use until 1997.

One of the fascinating things about it was that when in use it was entirely powered by two massive hydrogen rechargeable batteries. As its role was to deal with problems with mains electrical supply, it could not afford to be subject to a power cut itself.
01-17-2023, 06:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also pancake 18mm f.11 from Takumar, but it is M42.

01-17-2023, 06:39 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are these two for APS-C cameras?
They are: Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye CS Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

There are two versions. The version I’ve owned is the one where the hood is fixed in place.
01-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #21

The 10-17 is very nice indeed and is well build, you can even use it at the end of the range on film camera with aperture control.
01-17-2023, 07:24 AM   #22
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
HD DA 10-17 @ 10mm on the KP ...
Thanks, those are really neat pics !

---------- Post added 01-17-23 at 07:26 AM ----------

It was built in the 1930's in art-deco style and controlled the electrical supply to a large part of the railway in the county. Testament to it's practical design, as well as it's form, it continued in use until 1997.

One of the fascinating things about it was that when in use it was entirely powered by two massive hydrogen rechargeable batteries. As its role was to deal with problems with mains electrical supply, it could not afford to be subject to a power cut itself.
So where did the power come from to charge the 2 massive batteries - water, wind, the power grid - ?

It is very neat looking, and yes, it also has quite the retro look & feel to it!

01-17-2023, 07:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So where did the power come from to charge the 2 massive batteries - water, wind, the power grid - ?
Hydrogen cells are chemical batteries as far as I know. They aren’t recharged typically in the way that you are suggesting. Rechargeable Nickel Hydrogen batteries were invented in the 1970s too late to be what was used in this case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

They do need a source of fuel - which can come from hydrolysis of water.
01-17-2023, 08:55 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When did you take the photo (sometime after the K1 was introduced, I take it)? It looks like the control room is new although I know many places like that are meticulously kept and have a tendency to look new, well into their lives. Very nice shot of times gone by, and with an appropriate lens.

Added Note: I also have the Rokinon f3.5 8mm fisheye and it's a good choice for APS-C Pentax users. It's less fishy than a full fisheye (only shows a rectangular image - not a circular one - and is described as having a "stereograpphic" projection), and can be had on sale for less than $200US on occasion. I think I picked mine up for around $140 but it is the version like UncleVanya's with the non-removable hood (wish I had gotten the removable hood type as it could be used full-frame for the more circular fisheye type coverage). I more recently purchased the Rokinon 12mm f2.8 which produces almost the same image but in full-frame. Both are pretty solid optically and the 8mm is showing up used in various places.

Last edited by Bob 256; 01-17-2023 at 09:16 AM.
01-17-2023, 09:10 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So where did the power come from to charge the 2 massive batteries
Chemical reaction I think, but I am no expert.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
When did you take the photo?
Last September. The building and control room are "listed" which means they are protected from redevelopment.

The room is open one weekend a year during a Heritage Open Day event. They look after it very well.
01-17-2023, 09:26 AM   #26
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

When the time comes to upgrade, I will be upgrading to Full Frame, so I'm wondering if the lens made for FF would give descent results on ASP-C (or not).

I would like to see some photos of the PENTAX-F FISH-EYE 17-28mm

on an ASP-C camera....
01-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I've recently re-implemented my *ist film camera so's I can take full advantage of my long-since owned Peleng 8mm f/3.5 and Fujinon 16mm f/2.8 fish-eye lenses.
The former uses screw-on filters at the back of the lens … it came with an orange, yellow and green, the latter has a built-in filter wheel with blue, orange and yellow.
The 8mm is a "full-circle" lens, no hood, so it's easy to get my feet in the picture even if I don't want them there, the 16mm is a full-frame lens with a 180° angle-of-view across the diagonal.
Both lenses are 42-screw and were bought new-old-stock very cheaply when M42 cameras were being phased out
01-17-2023, 10:37 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
HD DA 10-17 @ 10mm on the KP

SMC DA 10-17 @ 10mm

SMC DA 10-17 @ 17mm

K 17/4.0
Wow! I would like to emulate those two landscape shots.
01-17-2023, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

When the time comes to upgrade, I will be upgrading to Full Frame, so I'm wondering if the lens made for FF would give descent results on ASP-C (or not).

I would like to see some photos of the PENTAX-F FISH-EYE 17-28mm

on an ASP-C camera....
Any fisheye that works on FF will have at best weak fishiness on apsc.
01-18-2023, 04:44 PM   #30

I have a fisheye...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 4  Photo