Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
Closed Account

Pentax ME-F, the First Asahi Pentax AF camera question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My question about this system. See the image in the link at the end. In my reading, this is a historically technologically significant invention.
Question is, is that autofocus "thing" around the lens, is it apart of that lens, is it a part of the camera, or is it it's own device that one puts on the lens ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_F#/media/File:Pentax_ME-F.jpg

Addendum: link to it's historical significance:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_F

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-19-2023 at 03:58 PM.
01-19-2023, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Question is, is that autofocus "thing" around the lens, is it apart of that lens, is it a part of the camera, or is it it's own device that one puts on the lens ?
Hi Michael. The ME-F and the lens SMC- AF Zoom 35-70 2.8 had to be used together to get autofocus. The lens itself could be used on other cameras but would only autofocus with the ME-F. It was very revolutionary for the time....1981

There are a lot of batteries involved and they don't last very long ! I took this image with my ME-F and 35-70 autofocus lens almost 5 years ago.....

01-19-2023, 04:16 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the camera and lens.....

01-19-2023, 05:28 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Thanks.
So it is part of the lens.
I see them now sold on the auction site: SMC- AF Zoom 35-70 2.8 for sale | eBay

01-20-2023, 07:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, the AF "thing" is part of the lens. But that's misleading because the camera and lens have to be joined for AF to work. The lens won't focus on any other body
01-20-2023, 07:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I seem to recall there was going to be a 50mm of some flavor that autofocused as well, and the fact there was a f3.5 setting on the camera hints at probably a longer telephoto...

As an aside, there were several companies that made standalone autofocus lenses in the late 80s/early 90s.
I have a Vivitar 70-210 that will autofocus very happily when connected to nothing, and it works a treat on my K1000. It also works on the ME-F, which is a little weird...

The 35-70 lens is actually really good. I've shot with it on the K1 (in manual focus), and the results are quite good, though the ergonomics are a disaster.

The thing that's really impressive to me is that, as bad as the AF is on the ME-F by today's standards, if you look at the cameras that came out in the next couple of years, none of them were any better... it took getting to the next generation of AF (SF-1/X, N2020/501, EOS 650, Maxxum/Dynax 7000) for it to really be usable.

-Eric
01-20-2023, 09:26 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, guys. I used to have one of those for a little while, but no 35-70mm AF lens.

02-03-2023, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #8

Hi Michael. The ME-F and the lens SMC- AF Zoom 35-70 2.8 had to be used together to get autofocus. The lens itself could be used on other cameras but would only autofocus with the ME-F. It was very revolutionary for the time....1981

There are a lot of batteries involved and they don't last very long ! I took this image with my ME-F and 35-70 autofocus lens almost 5 years ago.....

That's a very nice shot!

---------- Post added 02-03-23 at 11:52 PM ----------

Wow! That's what I would call "pristine condition".

---------- Post added 02-03-23 at 11:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
My question about this system. See the image in the link at the end. In my reading, this is a historically technologically significant invention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_F#/media/File:Pentax_ME-F.jpg

Addendum: link to it's historical significance:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_ME_F
From what I have read on the Internet, the ME-F uses TTL in-body contrast detection AF. The AF motor though is not on the body but the lens, hence you put AAA batteries in it to power the motor and hence you got an electronic range-finder when you mount anything but the dedicated KF mount 35-70 f2.8 on the ME-F (providing you have an aperture ring on the lens and the speed of the lens is within the AF detection capabilities.
02-04-2023, 08:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax ME-F, the First Asahi Pentax AF camera question

I believe the ME-F provided focus confirmation with regular K-mount lenses, hence the switch on top by the rewind crank for inputting maximum aperture.