Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You know the 70 comes with its own retractable hood, right? No reason not to use it. You could also use a small generic 49mm metal hood (which is what I use with the DA 35 2.4 and with my SMC-M 50mm f/1.7, doesn't add a lot of size).

In case you're interested - there's an HD version on Amazon (see our Price Watch thread: Amazon Warehouse - HD DA 70/2.4 in Used - Acceptable for $243 - PentaxForums.com) that costs about what a used SMC version would cost... though I have to say I paid about 175 for my DA 70 Limited because it shows signs of use (though the optics are perfect).
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You know the 70 comes with its own retractable hood, right? No reason not to use it. You could also use a small generic 49mm metal hood (which is what I use with the DA 35 2.4 and with my SMC-M 50mm f/1.7, doesn't add a lot of size).
Yes, I think the supplied hood for the 70 is cool, but since it is so long the "pancake" aspect of the lens is diminished with the OEM hood. The hood from the 40mm LTD would provide a modicum of protection from fingers etc.. without adding to the size. Incidentally, just for kicks, I put the lens hood from the 40 on my 100mm macro lens and there was no vignetting even at 1:1! It looks kinda funny! I will see how I feel about the OEM hood before I try anything weird!

01-27-2023, 05:40 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I will see how I feel about the OEM hood before I try anything weird!
I think you'll find it to be remarkably compact for such a relatively fast moderate tele lens! And it is metal! It does simply pull out and retract. Very handy. I fact, this exceptionally fine lens is mind-blowing as to its remarkable compactness!

This pull-out hood design is one of the features I love about my FA 77mm Ltd, which is not removable far as I know. In this case, the hood does not add in any meaningful measure at all to its length. Its very compact size for its FL and aperture speed, along with its imaging excellence is likewise mind-blowing!

The FA 43mm Ltd is indeed a "pancake" lens, but its hood is not retractible, and not really compact either, and it screws on to be kept in place when carried. If I really need extra compact use, I just remove the hood and do without in the case of this lens. With the DA 70 and FA 77, this is unnecessary, as their retractible hoods are so amazingly compact and with great ease of use.

But yeah, like the FA 43mm, even though retractible, the DA 70mm's hood can be removed to make it more a "pancake" by going without, and just using a common snap-on cap.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-27-2023 at 06:19 PM.
01-27-2023, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, someone is offering an FA 77mm for an incredibly reasonable price here on PF . I think the OP should stick to the DA 70 plan if compact ness and quality, and cost, are his main factors, but the FA 77mm is a lens most Pentaxians would enjoy.
01-27-2023, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some more 70mm HD content OP if it helps you out.

01-27-2023, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Veteran Member

That is a good price for the FA 77mm Ltd, which appears to be in pristine condition as is its box. Brand new, the HD version happens to be on sale (B&H) for $627 to give some idea of this deal. I have both. Which is better depends on the use I need it for.

When I need more in the frame, and with edge-to-edge sharpness even wide open, it is the DA 70mm for sure. And I see for just $47 more than this used FA 77mm, the HD DA 70mm Ltd can be had brand new!

When I need the extra FL to isolate subjects more, and its f/1.8 for low light use, or for moving subjects, it is the FA 77mm for sure. Although at a distance, I have captured some very fine night shots, including an entire sizable 4-lane bridge over a river. I have never been in conflict as to which to use, the differences are that great.

Both are fine for portraits, but the FA 77 is best for capturing candids at some distance. The bokeh from the HD DA 70mm is very good indeed, and that from the FA 77mm is truly superb.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-28-2023 at 06:06 PM.
01-28-2023, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, someone is offering an FA 77mm for an incredibly reasonable price here on PF . I think the OP should stick to the DA 70 plan if compact ness and quality, and cost, are his main factors, but the FA 77mm is a lens most Pentaxians would enjoy.
I just ordered the HD FA77mm new from B&H on sale $170 off, still making it around 130 more than the DA70, but I'm hoping it's worth it being FF.

Last edited by bspn; 01-29-2023 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added H to HD
01-28-2023, 06:13 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
but I'm hoping it's worth it being FF.
It is worth it! Not just for FF, as the DA 70mm can also be used FF, but the two are really quite different lenses. The 70mm has actually been tested as 65mm, while the 77mm has actually been tested as right on- 77mm. For many uses it is special in being so small, fast aperture, and with this FL you don't have to get as close to the subject. Great for candid captures, and for getting bee on flower shots, for examples. I use it on both formats, but I think I use it even more on APS-C than on my K-1 II. That is a great sale. The best price for that lens I have seen in years.

---------- Post added 01-28-23 at 06:19 PM ----------

but I will be looking for a good deal on a used 70mm Ltd.
I just saw a new listing in the PF market place, the K-3 III with a whole lot of top-level Pentax lenses. Among these is the HD DA 70mm f/2.4 for $230. Might be a very good chance for you!

01-28-2023, 07:16 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just ordered the D FA77mm new from B&H on sale $170 off, still making it around 130 more than the DA70, but I'm hoping it's worth it being FF.
Minor point; FA not D FA. There is no D FA 77.
01-29-2023, 07:27 AM   #84
Pentaxian

DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

the 70 is small and light and a bit faster, but other than portraits, what is it used for?

I don't do many portraits, but I like macro.
That said, I can see myself using the 35mm macro limited for flower photos in the spring as a lighter alternative to the 100 macro.

I can see the versatility of the 35 Ltd, but the 70 not so much.

I guess I am trying to decide if the 70 is useful enough, or should I go for a 35Ltd instead? Thank you!
The Lens can be used as walkarond lens or tele, for street, architecture, animals etc.

You can find some inspiration about the capabilities of the DA 70mm Limited there:
Keita Sasaki HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited Impression | PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING
User works? HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Your 100mm macro is more versatile than a 35mm Macro (think about the distance to your lens and the creation of shadows on your image).

Last edited by angerdan; 02-01-2023 at 07:47 AM. Reason: objektiv -> lens
01-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Minor point; FA not D FA. There is no D FA 77.
Oops missed the H as in HD FA
01-29-2023, 03:59 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops missed the H as in HD FA
Oh heck! That makes sense.
01-30-2023, 01:53 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Please quote a source for that outrageous claim. On both levels.

1) There is no possible reason not to recommend the DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited. It is one of the best APS-C lenses ever made.

2) It's not a Tokina. Any more than the DFA*50, or the DA*50-135, or the DA10-17. Get over it.
1) Sorry, incorrect grammar. I wanted to express, that it does not make sense from my sight to buy the 35ltd. as the OP allready has a macro and the more a 40 mm. So why should he buy a 35 macro?

2) Learned that from the post of Madaboutpix from above. Who was so kind to show me his source.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 01-30-2023 at 02:07 AM.
01-30-2023, 06:57 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
1) Sorry, incorrect grammar. I wanted to express, that it does not make sense from my sight to buy the 35ltd. as the OP allready has a macro and the more a 40 mm. So why should he buy a 35 macro?

2) Learned that from the post of Madaboutpix from above. Who was so kind to show me his source.
Point number 2 could be read as you saying you learned the lens was Tokina designed, or that you learned you were in error. I assume you mean the latter?

What is the 70mm Ltd lens for? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
01-30-2023, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The Lens can be used as walkarond lens or tele, for street, architecture, animals etc.

You can find some inspiration about the capabilities of the DA 70mm Limited there:
Keita Sasaki HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited Impression | PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING
User works? HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Your 100mm macro is more versatile than a 35mm Macro (think about the distance to your objektiv and the creation of shadows on your image).
Thank you, I will look into this! Good point about the 100mm macro.

---------- Post added 01-30-23 at 14:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Yes I think the 70mm is the best fit for me. Price, weight, size, quick shift, IQ they’re all there!
01-31-2023, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Point number 2 could be read as you saying you learned the lens was Tokina designed, or that you learned you were in error. I assume you mean the latter?
As Madaboutpix and Sandy Hancock showed me, that my assumption about those lenses being Tokina designs was wrong, I learned they are not.

To be even more precise, I learned by further reading that the optical construction of the lenses mentioned by Sandy Hancock is the same for the Tokina and the Pentax variants. While the mechanical construction is (partly?) different, as well as the coating of course.

From the link posted by Madaboutpix I learned, that Ricoh owns the patent for the 35 ltd., as well as for the 10-17 and the 50-135.
The optical design of the 12-24/4 seems to be developed by Tokina.
Sadly I couldn't find information about the D FA* 50 in this source. I wasn't aware there is a Tokina variant until Sandy Hancock told me.
I didn't look for other lenses, but that website is a real treasure cove. While scaning through it, one gets the idea of collecting Pentax lenses of ones preferred lens designer .