Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2023, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
As Madaboutpix and Sandy Hancock showed me, that my assumption about those lenses being Tokina designs was wrong, I learned they are not.

To be even more precise, I learned by further reading that the optical construction of the lenses mentioned by Sandy Hancock is the same for the Tokina and the Pentax variants. While the mechanical construction is (partly?) different, as well as the coating of course.

From the link posted by Madaboutpix I learned, that Ricoh owns the patent for the 35 ltd., as well as for the 10-17 and the 50-135.
The optical design of the 12-24/4 seems to be developed by Tokina.
Sadly I couldn't find information about the D FA* 50 in this source. I wasn't aware there is a Tokina variant until Sandy Hancock told me.
I didn't look for other lenses, but that website is a real treasure cove. While scaning through it, one gets the idea of collecting Pentax lenses of ones preferred lens designer .
Ah! Gotcha.

The D FA* 50 like every * lens ever (so far) is Pentax designed. The optical design wasn’t co-created or purchased from Tokina, but it was licensed to them. The physical package was unique to each company as well.
You can find development story details out there, you can also find crazy conspiracy theories that Tokina secretly collaborated on this lens design or even created it - despite the patent being held by Ricoh, and the development story giving great detail about the challenges etc.

01-31-2023, 06:38 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Sadly I couldn't find information about the D FA* 50 in this source. I wasn't aware there is a Tokina variant until Sandy Hancock told me.

Although we have to take Ricoh's own word on it, the "official" development story, or rather interview regarding the development of the DFA*50 should provide some insights:

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_dfa50-14/interview/

To me it would suggest that the lens is another original Pentax (i.e. Ricoh Imaging) design, and that the Tokina Opera is a rebranded variant.
01-31-2023, 01:11 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
It is worth it! Not just for FF, as the DA 70mm can also be used FF, but the two are really quite different lenses. The 70mm has actually been tested as 65mm, while the 77mm has actually been tested as right on- 77mm. For many uses it is special in being so small, fast aperture, and with this FL you don't have to get as close to the subject. Great for candid captures, and for getting bee on flower shots, for examples. I use it on both formats, but I think I use it even more on APS-C than on my K-1 II. That is a great sale. The best price for that lens I have seen in years.

---------- Post added 01-28-23 at 06:19 PM ----------

I just saw a new listing in the PF market place, the K-3 III with a whole lot of top-level Pentax lenses. Among these is the HD DA 70mm f/2.4 for $230. Might be a very good chance for you!
I made an offer for the lens but didn’t have quite enough funds for it yet! I’ll try for another one later this year or even next year!
01-31-2023, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I made an offer for the lens but didn’t have quite enough funds for it yet! I’ll try for another one later this year or even next year!
You'll get there. After you've saved up the funds, be patient and get a perfect one. Get the HD for its better contrast from flair resistance and its rounded blades for improved bokeh, both of which can come to advantage under many circumstances.

01-31-2023, 04:22 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You'll get there. After you've saved up the funds, be patient and get a perfect one. Get the HD for its better contrast from flair resistance and its rounded blades for improved bokeh, both of which can come to advantage under many circumstances.
Will do!
02-13-2023, 01:46 PM - 6 Likes   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alright! I just ordered a HD DA 70mm Ltd in excellent condition from a fellow member on the Marketplace for a good price! Not a “too good to be true” price, but a price I felt was fair! And excellent condition! I’m a bit nervous about used gear as always, but I think it will be okay! Now my set will be right where I want it! Thanks to all for the feedback and support!
02-13-2023, 02:26 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Alright! I just ordered a HD DA 70mm Ltd in excellent condition from a fellow member on the Marketplace for a good price! Not a “too good to be true” price, but a price I felt was fair! And excellent condition! I’m a bit nervous about used gear as always, but I think it will be okay! Now my set will be right where I want it! Thanks to all for the feedback and support!
I’m sure you will have a lot of fun with it!

02-13-2023, 02:48 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I’m sure you will have a lot of fun with it!
Yes I am sure I will! In fact, I could have used it last week when my wife and kids were snow tubing and I needed to stay back because I had our dog. The 40mm limited was a bit too short and the 70mm would have been just right! These limiteds are fun!
02-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Glad you are able to get one so soon! I have no doubt as to your liking it. I certainly value mine. In your case, it makes an excellent tele end for your kit with the DA 15mm Ltd at the other end, and without a bulky lens to haul around!

For shooting highest quality JPEG images straight out of the camera, which I most often do, I have for years made a few adjustments in the Custom Image menus for best results, based on what i've read in lab test reviews and my own experience. Lab results found sharpening as set as normal is actually too conservative with most Pentax models, including the KP, so JPEGs came out a little soft. They recommended the Sharpening level up by +1 and adding "Fine Sharpening". With the KP, in the usual "Bright" Custom Image category I use, I have been keeping the Sharpening level at default, which in "Bright" is already up by one notch, then I add "Fine Sharpening" by using the thumb dial. However, just during the last several months, I decided to try upping the Sharpening level itself by one more notch, now to +2, and of course also keeping the "Fine Sharpening", which is VERY important. I did this with just one of my two KP bodies. After a variety of shooting situations, in comparing results between the two cameras, I've finally decided I like it even better, really good and sharp in fact, and will now change the other KP as well.

When you get this gem and fit it onto your camera, I am sure you will very soon appreciate having it. The proof is your own recent experience! It is a beautiful lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-13-2023 at 06:54 PM.
02-14-2023, 06:20 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Glad you are able to get one so soon! I have no doubt as to your liking it. I certainly value mine. In your case, it makes an excellent tele end for your kit with the DA 15mm Ltd at the other end, and without a bulky lens to haul around!

For shooting highest quality JPEG images straight out of the camera, which I most often do, I have for years made a few adjustments in the Custom Image menus for best results, based on what i've read in lab test reviews and my own experience. Lab results found sharpening as set as normal is actually too conservative with most Pentax models, including the KP, so JPEGs came out a little soft. They recommended the Sharpening level up by +1 and adding "Fine Sharpening". With the KP, in the usual "Bright" Custom Image category I use, I have been keeping the Sharpening level at default, which in "Bright" is already up by one notch, then I add "Fine Sharpening" by using the thumb dial. However, just during the last several months, I decided to try upping the Sharpening level itself by one more notch, now to +2, and of course also keeping the "Fine Sharpening", which is VERY important. I did this with just one of my two KP bodies. After a variety of shooting situations, in comparing results between the two cameras, I've finally decided I like it even better, really good and sharp in fact, and will now change the other KP as well.

When you get this gem and fit it onto your camera, I am sure you will very soon appreciate having it. The proof is your own recent experience! It is a beautiful lens.
I found an SMC version on used photo pro for a good price, but when I tried to trade a couple of FA zooms they rejected the offer because they couldn’t make any money from the zooms. So, I thumbed my nose at them and decided to only buy from a PF member! The lens does not have a pouch, but I sew my own from microfiber sunglass pouches, so that is fine! After a bit of AFFA on my 21 and 40 they are performing great! I expect the same from the 70, oh and my 15 is excellent too!!! Now I have the “4 AMIGAS”:
Mamacita HD 15mm
Maria SMC 21mm
Dulcita SMC 40mm
Margarita HD 70mm

P.S. I have long ago taken your advice about fine sharpening! Thank you!

Last edited by que es tu; 02-14-2023 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Add post script
02-14-2023, 07:06 AM   #101

ok. I recently got infected by the limited lens virus for which I hear there is no vaccine, cure, or treatment. In now have the HD DA 15mm, SMC 21mm, and SMC 40mm. I am thinking of getting the 70mm, but I have a DFA 100mm macro, and that is pretty close to 70mm, and I can use it for portraits and macro. the 70 is small and light and a bit faster, but other than portraits, what is it used for? I don't do many portraits, but I like macro. That said, I can see myself using the 35mm macro limited for flower photos in the spring as a lighter alternative to the 100 macro. I can see the versatility of the 35 Ltd, but the 70 not so much. I guess I am trying to decide if the 70 is useful enough, or should I go for a 35Ltd instead? Thank you!
The 70mmis excellent as a portrait lens on APSc, IMHO the 100mm would be too long for the purpose, with the head filling the frame, you'd have to stand to far from the subject for easy conversation.
02-14-2023, 07:24 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes! I agree! Good advice! I think the 70mm Ltd is better for portraits for the reasons you stated and also because it is small, unobtrusive, and non-intimidating. Now that I have a 70mm limited on the way, I can use my 100mm for dedicated macro.
02-14-2023, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Yes I am sure I will! In fact, I could have used it last week when my wife and kids were snow tubing and I needed to stay back because I had our dog. The 40mm limited was a bit too short and the 70mm would have been just right! These limiteds are fun!
The 18-135 would have been perfect...
Don't shoot me...
02-14-2023, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #104
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The 18-135 would have been perfect...
Don't shoot me...

Yes, you are absolutely correct! However, I didn't plan on being there, so I only had my 21 and 40 with me in my teeny camera bag!! But I was certainly lamenting not having the 18-135! That lens is tops for versatility and IQ for a wide range zoom!!
02-14-2023, 06:37 PM   #105
Veteran Member

But I was certainly lamenting not having the 18-135! That lens is tops for versatility and IQ for a wide range zoom!!
Yep, it certainly is! I've had mine for over 10 years, and it remains one of my most go-to choices for many occasions. And it is still compact for what it is, so much so that in spite of its long FL range, it is very amenable to the use of a pop of flash which is often very helpful.

How cool, you've got names for your Limiteds!