Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMHO the IQ is slightly ahead Tamron amd whisper quite HSM Sigma has it,I was lucky yp score the Sigma for less than AU$1000 so Im happy

chees

12-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Check the reviews at Slrgear.com:
Sigma (prev model): Sigma Lens: Zooms - Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
Tamron: Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro SP AF - SLRgear.com!

Have fun,

- Bert
12-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Sigma for me - I love my copy, definitely a satisifed user. I took some wedding photos with it (at a friend's wedding - indoor church lighting), and they were so impressed with the results that they took my photos to their wedding phtog (who they weren't particularly happy with) and said "why weren't your photos as good as these!?"
12-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamron being FF has the advantage, on k20d, of being +/- 100-300 f2.8, not bad.

Bonovox, can you check if it's possible to post 1 or 2 indoor pictures taken with sigma ?

12-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Tamron being FF has the advantage, on k20d, of being +/- 100-300 f2.8, not bad.

Bonovox, can you check if it's possible to post 1 or 2 indoor pictures taken with sigma ?
Well, the DG specification means the Sigma is full frame too, but whether a lens is FF or not does nothing to change the apparent focal length. A 200mm ff lens and a 200mm APS-C will look exactly the same on your current Pentax DSLR and give you the same field of view, and magnification that a 300mm lens would on a 35mm SLR.
12-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Well, the DG specification means the Sigma is full frame too, but whether a lens is FF or not does nothing to change the apparent focal length. A 200mm ff lens and a 200mm APS-C will look exactly the same on your current Pentax DSLR and give you the same field of view, and magnification that a 300mm lens would on a 35mm SLR.
Hmmmmm

I was thinking that the 70-200mm since being FF would work on the APS-C as a 100-300mm lens. I'm I wrong ?

Thanks for the help.
12-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Will the lens work 100% with Sigma EX 1,4x DG APO converter ?
(can't seem to find the tamron 1.4x converter available in EU)
My understanding (from web research only) is that the Sigma 1.4x doesn't pass the electrical information to the lens for SDM/HSM to function, so the Sigma 1.4x will make the Sigma 70-200 a manual focus lens.

Hmmmmm

I was thinking that the 70-200mm since being FF would work on the APS-C as a 100-300mm lens. I'm I wrong ?

Thanks for the help.
Well, yes and no...on an APS-C sensor, it will give you the equivalent field of view and magnification that a 100-300 (approx.) would on a 35mm camera.

The picture at the bottom of this page explains it fairly well... The lenses designed for APS-C project a smaller circle, but the APS-C sensor never knows if there's more image outside it's borders or not. Crop factor is the same whether the lens projects a full frame or aps-c image circle.

Depending on your intended usage, I'd recommend either lens for you. I love my Tamron but I've never used the Sigma to compare it too.

12-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote

Well, yes and no...on an APS-C sensor, it will give you the equivalent field of view and magnification that a 100-300 (approx.) would on a 35mm camera.

The picture at the bottom of this page explains it fairly well... The lenses designed for APS-C project a smaller circle, but the APS-C sensor never knows if there's more image outside it's borders or not. Crop factor is the same whether the lens projects a full frame or aps-c image circle.

Depending on your intended usage, I'd recommend either lens for you. I love my Tamron but I've never used the Sigma to compare it too.
The picture explains it all. Thanks. I was really under the impression I would get a 100-300mm

I'm thinking about the tamron but I wanted also to have the 1.4 converter (or the pentax one) and I'm not being able to find it available on EU (that ships to Portugal). Any ideas where I should look ??
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #24

Tamron for me...

hey folks, how's it going?
I don't know, I've never used neither, but I do have a Sigma 70-300mm that makes me wonder why price & quality doesn't quite match & go along with each other...

it might be a whole different yard... but i dont like the Sigma zoom I have... even though a prime 15mm I had was pretty good...

If you guys won't mind manual focusing, I'd highly recommend a used Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8
That puppy is freakin'sharp!

Regards
Ed
12-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emaruyama Quote

If you guys won't mind manual focusing, I'd highly recommend a used Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8
That puppy is freakin'sharp!

Regards
Ed
For the porpuse, I really need the AF
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, think I need to open a new thread about tamron or pentax 1.4x converter.
With more visibility, probably someone will be able to send me on the right track to buy one in EU.
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Mathers Of Lancashire

Is the extra expense worth it? this is a tempting deal with the X2 converter included for £629 - $908.

aaarrggghh, I'm confused.............................
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Terri Quote
I just had the Sigma ordered for me yesturday. I am really exited about it. I should have it in 2 weeks. It is my first lens purchase. (exept of course the 18-55mm that came with the camera.

I have been looking at the lenses for some time now and finnaly committed myself to the purchase.

I read a lot of good reviews with the Sigma and it felt right in the end. I'm sure I will post once it comes.

Terri
New update to this.....

I was so exited today to be picking up my new Sigma 70-200mm F2.8.
Got there, put it on my camera took some beautiful shots outside and found out very quickly that the auto focus was not working.
After some investigation I found out that the HSM does not work on the K100D. I can't figure out how I missed this bit of info during my research on the lens. (there is a hole thread in this forum about it)
So needless to say I made the desision to trade up my K100D for a K200D (YA, I like to spend money)
I do have to wait for the new shipment of K200D's to come in but that should be this week. In the mean time I did bring home my new lens and will be playing with it even without the Auto focus.

The point to all this story, Check to see if your Pentax is HSM compatible or not before you buy.