Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 03:25 AM   #16
Closed Account

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
LOL Just to taunt you a little more : probably not, this "lens" is too old. But I have a complete set of colored filters for my Minolta Reflex ... nah, nah, nah nah ! (just kidding)

Best Regards

Big smiles! I have no problem with old lens. 3 of my lens are Pentax M manual lens. I've learned more about photographing using them, as I'm forced to control things like shutter speed and aperture size on my own....

Hand over the set of colored filters and no one gets hurt

02-06-2023, 03:45 AM   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I hadn't planned on buying the Sigma this evening; however, I just got an email that the seller reduced the price, on what he described as being in "great condition", reduced it to $85.
So what the heck, for $85 it will at least be a toy for a little while. Unless, of course, I find I don't like it at all right off, like I did the Tamnron 500mm reflex copy (or it's as bad as Richard L describes his copy as).....

I do have one question. This copy doesn't come with the various multi colored filters - they must have been lost along the way. Can such filters be purchased ?

Michael
I couldn't see any on Ali express but their search function is shite. You don't need them anyway.
02-06-2023, 03:45 AM   #18
Closed Account

Original Poster
Question about the Sigma's fixed F8 aperture.

Can one still use the green button for exposure?
02-06-2023, 04:10 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best way to use a Reflex lens on Pentax DSLRs is to adopt the "Av" mode (Aperture Priority). This way you let the camera decide what the best exposure is and adjust the shutter speed. However you must be sure your choice of ISO permits stable shooting conditions. Using ISO 200 or 400 in full daylight should give exposure times around 1/1000 sec or shorter. Using a heavy tripod all the time is almost necessary to gather any far-away details.

As to using filters, I used my Orange 39 mm diameter filter with B&W film on my Minolta's. It increased contrast and gave darker skies. On a digital camera, filters are almost useless except if you want to create one-color (yellow or orange or red) "atmosphere" images.

Regards

02-06-2023, 07:57 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hand over the set of colored filters and no one gets hurt
Minolta filters screwed on the back end of the lens and measured 39 mm across. The "clear filter" had to be left in place to prevent dust entry into the optical path. I'm not sure they would fit on a Sigma though.

Regards
02-06-2023, 08:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you also for your insight. I'm not familiar with what this "loupe" method of focussing is, can you or someone else explain it to me. I have the K-S2 also, and wander if this "loupe" method of focussing can be done with it...

---------- Post added 02-05-23 at 04:45 PM ----------
it is a viewer (with a magnifying "Loupe" glass in it) that you put on the back of your LCD in Live view mode (with also possbility to zoom in, to enable focus peaking and other LV camera tricks )... allowing to see more detail of the picture for focussing. It shields also the ambient sunlight that sometimes can render the LCD on the back of the camera almost unvisible/unreadable.

Here are 2 examples, typically off brand, called LCD loupe or LCD viewer or similar.

If you need one, google for one fitting the size of your LCD screen of the camera (about 2,7 ..3 .. 3,2 inch ), they usually fit on the tripod mount in bottom plate of camera or use rubber straps. The name and brand of available items might differ per region (america, europe, asia...). Their construction allows to fit to multiple brands and types of camera's..

MEIKE MK-VF2 LCD viewfinder reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
HoodMan Hood Loupe reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by mlag; 02-06-2023 at 09:09 AM.
02-06-2023, 03:43 PM   #22
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Best way to use a Reflex lens on Pentax DSLRs is to adopt the "Av" mode (Aperture Priority). This way you let the camera decide what the best exposure is and adjust the shutter speed. However you must be sure your choice of ISO permits stable shooting conditions. Using ISO 200 or 400 in full daylight should give exposure times around 1/1000 sec or shorter. Using a heavy tripod all the time is almost necessary to gather any far-away details.

As to using filters, I used my Orange 39 mm diameter filter with B&W film on my Minolta's. It increased contrast and gave darker skies. On a digital camera, filters are almost useless except if you want to create one-color (yellow or orange or red) "atmosphere" images.

Regards
The Sigma only has one aperture (F8), so are you suggesting to put it in that mode and select F8 ? I'm confused. With my M (manual) Pentax lens, I used the green button method - is it possible to use the green button method with this lens (or maybe not since it can't stop down since it only has one aperture - ?)...

I have another question, for you or anyone. The one I bought doesn't seem to have the knob on the side - that others seem to have that say lock/free. See it at: Sigma Mirror Telephoto MC F8 600mm Pentax K PK Mount Lens with M4/3 adapter | eBay or at https://order.ebay.com/ord/show?orderId=23-09667-15298&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:....m2548.l2673#/

02-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma only has one aperture (F8), so are you suggesting to put it in that mode and select F8 ?
Simply put it in Av mode. you don't have anything else to do. The lens has only one aperture opening so, f/8 by default it is. You can always use the +/- command to alter exposure.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-08-2023 at 06:10 AM.
02-06-2023, 04:08 PM   #24
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma only has one aperture (F8), so are you suggesting to put it in that mode and select F8 ? I'm confused. With my M (manual) Pentax lens, I used the green button method - is it possible to use the green button method with this lens (or maybe not since it can't stop down since it only has one aperture - ?)...

I have another question, for you or anyone. The one I bought doesn't seem to have the knob on the side - that others seem to have that say lock/free. See it at: Sigma Mirror Telephoto MC F8 600mm Pentax K PK Mount Lens with M4/3 adapter | eBay or at Sign in or Register | eBay
That is the lock knob for the tripod mount.
I can only see the thumbnail on the sold item but looks like the tripod mount is there. I can not remove my lock knob so I suspect rather than it having fallen out it is slightly different.
02-06-2023, 04:16 PM   #25
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
That is the lock knob for the tripod mount.
I can only see the thumbnail on the sold item but looks like the tripod mount is there. I can not remove my lock knob so I suspect rather than it having fallen out it is slightly different.
Thanks for your information !

If the knob is missing, is it something someone could pick up a part at a local hardware store to replace - ?

I'm gonna attempt to include some of the pics of it with this message, below:

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-06-2023 at 04:39 PM.
02-06-2023, 04:21 PM   #26
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One shot front on.
Edit -that is better.
Mine is not a filtermatic. aesthetically slightly different .
Mine doesn't have that little chrome button of the tripod ring - guess that is your lock.
Shouldn't there be internal filters in a filtermatic?

Last edited by GUB; 02-06-2023 at 04:30 PM.
02-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #27
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
One shot front on.
Edit -that is better.
Mine is not a filtermatic. aesthetically slightly different .
Mine doesn't have that little chrome button of the tripod ring - guess that is your lock.
Shouldn't there be internal filters in a filtermatic?
Refresh your browser please - I tried to add more...
02-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #28
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Refresh your browser please - I tried to add more...
Naa you need to refresh yours
02-06-2023, 05:02 PM   #29
Closed Account

Original Poster
lol, i'm trying to add more pics here:

02-08-2023, 01:26 AM   #30
Closed Account

Original Poster
I'm awaiting the lens in the mail. It appears the copy I bought doesn't have a lens hood and I'm a little difficulty googling to find the size I need to buy.

Can anyone help me determine the size of lens hood I need for this lens please - (?)

Addendum: The review on this site says "Lens hood: metal (screw in 84/86 mm)" - that seems a little odd to have a 84/86mm size, can someone explain the 2 numbers ?