Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 09:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax SMC-M loose rubber focuser grips

Hello Pentaxi

I have a couple of beautiful, untouched SMC-M's with what appears to be loose rubber grips. They aren't "flimsy" and loose, but often if you just grip it very very lightly and turn, only the rubber turns without "catching" the focuser.

Is there a quick solution to this without opening an otherwise spotless lens? With only a couple of specks of dust, it would be a shame to have them lose their virginity over this.

02-06-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are typically just large "rubber bands" that are stretched over the outside of the lens in a grooved area. I'm not sure what you mean by "opening" the lens as that usually won't gain you anything in terms of your issue. What you might need to do is shove some small spacer strips under the rubber "band" to take up the slack since it seems the rubber has lengthened over time and is just slipping in that groove, not firmly engaging the lens body. Be careful however, as aged rubber has been known to break, and I have a couple of lenses whose rubber focusing bands have come completely off. However, they work perfectly ok without the rubber focusing bands.
02-06-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, these lenses are practically NOS in box so must have been just the effects of time...
I will try to pry it up a tad to shove a little piece of paper under it in 2 spots and see if that helps thank you!
02-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ephraim Quote
...I will try to pry it up a tad to shove a little piece of paper under it in 2 spots and see if that helps thank you!
Keep us posted how this works out. I've got an M50f1.7 with this problem I'd like to fix.

02-07-2023, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
something that helps with rubber: put it in cooking water and it will shrink again and getting softer again. Than clue it back to the lens.
02-07-2023, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I don't think I've ever seem this on a Pentax lens but have in some third-party ones including a Sigma 24/2.8 just the other week. I added a few dabs of super-glue in various places and it was fine. If the rubber is loose enough to pull back even a little then this should be possible.