Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2023, 01:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
HD D FA 100mm Macro AW worth upgrading from FA?

I own a FA 100mm macro lens. I like it but it's a bit heavy, and the limiter does not help as well as I hoped. AF is a bit erratic and frequently misses the obvious subject. I'm wondering if there's anyone that uses the new 100mm AW lens with AF for macro, and whether the AF on the lens is good.

02-08-2023, 01:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hayavuk Quote
I own a FA 100mm macro lens. I like it but it's a bit heavy, and the limiter does not help as well as I hoped. AF is a bit erratic and frequently misses the obvious subject. I'm wondering if there's anyone that uses the new 100mm AW lens with AF for macro, and whether the AF on the lens is good.
I have FA version and my opinion about autofocus is completely opposite
Limiter works as it should work - focus from 0,6 m to infinity.
Heavy lens? 600 g Hm. New version is lighter (348 g) and have les CAs
02-08-2023, 01:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I have FA version and my opinion about autofocus is completely opposite
Maybe I should note that I'm on K-1 and use AF-C. (And possibly have unrealistic expectations from my Pentax gear.)

QuoteQuote:
Heavy lens? 600 g Hm. New version is lighter (348 g) and have les CAs
I hold a flash in one hand, and camera + lens in the other. So in that setup it tends to be on the heavy side.
02-08-2023, 02:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hayavuk Quote
Maybe I should note that I'm on K-1 and use AF-C. (And possibly have unrealistic expectations from my Pentax gear.)

I hold a flash in one hand, and camera + lens in the other. So in that setup it tends to be on the heavy side.
Do you do macro work without tripod?

AF-C with screwdrive AF lenses is a really difficult especially for small objects and in short distance.

02-08-2023, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skip AF and use a tripod for macro. Just my opinion.
02-08-2023, 04:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Skip AF and use a tripod for macro. Just my opinion.
Set the lens at minimum focus distance, and move the camera back and forth to move the plane of focus.
02-08-2023, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
To all of you offering helpful advice for macro shooting, thanks. I'm not new to macro. I've been shooting macro on various systems for years now. Not looking for tips on how to do macro.

I'm merely asking whether the AF on the D FA 100mm AW is better than with FA 100mm.

---------- Post added 02-08-23 at 05:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
AF-C with screwdrive AF lenses is a really difficult especially for small objects and in short distance.
Yeah, I get by anyway. I would probably get the AW lens even if the AF on it isn't particularly better cause I'm using the FA 50mm right now and it works for me 90% of the time. With the 100mm I just don't love the torque it has when it misses focus and starts racking. I really feel that in my wrist when I hold the camera at an awkward angle one-handed.

02-08-2023, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm working on the Pentaxforums review of the new HD D FA macro AW. I can tell you a few things, when comparing with the SMC D FA macro WR. Assume the optical performances of the SMC FA you have are no better than the SMC D FA.

The new lens shows significant improvements for CA and PF, the worst flaws of the previous version.
The new lens has faster AF (a surprise), marginally useful for macro but very useful outside the macro range.
The new lens is AW, the previous "only" WR and the FA has no weather resistance.
The two D FA lenses, contrary to your FA, have quick shift.
Flare is slightly better controlled on the new lens.
The new lens lacks a focus limiter, except via menus on the K-3 III.

It's a better lens all around. Worth it for you? I can't answer that.
02-08-2023, 08:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned the FA for many years and I own the SMC D FA WR version. I find the D FA WR to be far easier to use in general except for the lack of a focus limiter. Assuming a software interface to the limiter isn’t an issue I’d expect it’sa good upgrade path for you to get the new AW lens.

As for autofocus… on my WR version I frequently use af but never in af-c mode for macro work. I also often use manual focus and a tripod - so our use differs greatly. My expertise is that the lens focus is a bit slower than I’d like but its accuracy is pretty good in af-s. Overshooting the target and tracking is a problem however and worse on the wr version which lacks a focus limiter.
02-08-2023, 09:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just offered myself a new HD DFA 100 mm f/2.8 for Christmas. Excellent optics !

Two upper images with a K3 III in Av mode. Third image with a K3 + flash in P mode. Lightning fast autofocusing.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-08-2023 at 09:43 AM.
02-08-2023, 09:58 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all. Yeah, given the weight and better optical performance, I think I will upgrade regardless of the AF. Since I manage with the AF on the FA 50mm Macro, I think I'll be satisfied as long as it's not worse.