Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2023, 08:59 PM   #1
Closed Account

Would this be fungus?

A very small spec on my mirror lens, would the consensus be it is fungus. It's actually one spec that the mirror lens makes it appear as if it's 2. I'm inclined to believe it's fungus as it has tentacle like "arms" protruding from it. Photos taken with SMC Pentax M-100mm F4 Macro

Click any image and in Flickr keep clicking it to continue magnifying it...

3 images

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-11-2023 at 09:11 PM.
02-11-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am pretty sure it is a dead insect. I call them shutter bugs. I once saw some alive on a focusing screen. I was glad that it was not my camera.
02-11-2023, 09:29 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably a dust speck that fungus has started to feed off when there has been enough moisture. The fungus spores are everywhere anyway - the trick is to not supply the conditions for them to flourish. Warm moist conditions.
02-12-2023, 02:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I can see, I agree with the insect idea. But the next comment could be valid too. Put it on a window ledge without caps and the UV will kill any fungus that's there, if it isn't already dead. Some like to use a UV lamp instead.

I clean lenses with hydrogen peroxide, dry, then repeat with 90% isopropyl alcohol, if you're planning on opening it up.

02-12-2023, 02:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd tend to agree with fungus. The filaments coming out from the main body are irregular in length and thickness. If this was a bug I'd expect more consistency in both length and thickness, as well as fewer of them.
02-12-2023, 02:47 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

To the best of my limited knowledge, insects have six legs, three on each side, all of equal length. This 'thing' appears to have many more scattered around its entire perimeter. Be interesting to see how it moves.
02-12-2023, 05:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It definitely looks like fungus of the variety that I've cleaned myself.

02-12-2023, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which mirror lens is it? Mirrors are usually easy to open up and clean (not that you need to this won't notice).
02-12-2023, 07:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't anguish too much on this old Sigma Reflex lens. Try it in ideal conditions (solid support, good sunny daylight, critical focus) and if it doesn't perform to your expectations, simply resell it.

85 $ isn't a huge amount in the photography world, you know.

Regards
02-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Consider with a mirror lens, you have a central obstruction hundreds of times the size of this speck so unless it's actively "growing", I wouldn't worry about it. It could also be a small fuzz ball of something like that which comes off a wool or synthetic knitted garment, possibly entering through the rear camera port. Can you get to it with some compressed air and an extension? If you can blow it off, it's probably not fungus (fungus will attach itself to whatever it's on).