Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2023, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To many, manual focus means living in the past. I wonder if anyone has ever done a comparison to show that any of the expensive older lenses actually deserve their reputations.
I did write this review:

Pentax 50mm F1.4 comparison: M, FA and DFA Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

02-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice and exactly what I would have predicted....
02-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #33
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you feel you were able to define a difference in optical formula between the M and the FA that was beyond what could be perhaps sample variations.?
Same for their flare performance - I was expecting a coating difference.?
Great review.
02-27-2023, 09:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I have a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 SL and a Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar that I am fond of. I have not tried any comparison tests so I can't say they are any better or worse than similar K-mount lenses.

Another non-Pentax K-Mount lens that I am quite fond of is the Sigma EX 50mm f2.8 Macro. It is a true 1:1 Macro that produces some excellent images. There is another Sigma that is very nice and that is the Super Wide II 24mm f/2.8.

Of course there are the various M42 Vivitar Series One lenses that certainly hold their own. The 80-180 f4.5 Flatfield zoom is one that is certainly worth owning as is the Vivitar 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 though I am not typically a zoom lens fan. Of course these are not particularly small lenses.

02-27-2023, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I have a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 SL and a Voigtlander 90mm Apo Lanthar that I am fond of. I have not tried any comparison tests so I can't say they are any better or worse than similar K-mount lenses.
Voigtländer lenses in PKA Mount, and especially these two, are my favorite too. The 40mm f/2.0 and the 90mm f/3.5 are dynamite in a small package: really good image quality, close focusing ability and great build quality. Add a 20mm lens and you have a small kit capable of handling almost any photographic opportunity.

I also have other great Voigtländer lenses in PKA Mount (20mm f/3.5, 58mm f/1.4, 125mm f/2.5 and 180mm f/4.0) but I don't use them as often as the 40 and 90 duo. These two really never leave the small bag with the K1-ii.

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-28-2023, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Do you feel you were able to define a difference in optical formula between the M and the FA that was beyond what could be perhaps sample variations.?
I believe so. Regarding sharpness, but also other parameters, and particularly on full frame, there is an evolution between the M and FA. On APS-C it was harder to confirm (higher pixel density) and both lenses reached close to their resolution limit.

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Same for their flare performance - I was expecting a coating difference.?
It's not dramatic, but yes there was again an improvement with the FA vs the M.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Nice and exactly what I would have predicted....
Happy to help!
03-01-2023, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Voigtländer lenses in PKA Mount, and especially these two, are my favorite too. The 40mm f/2.0 and the 90mm f/3.5 are dynamite in a small package: really good image quality, close focusing ability and great build quality. Add a 20mm lens and you have a small kit capable of handling almost any photographic opportunity.

I also have other great Voigtländer lenses in PKA Mount (20mm f/3.5, 58mm f/1.4, 125mm f/2.5 and 180mm f/4.0) but I don't use them as often as the 40 and 90 duo. These two really never leave the small bag with the K1-ii.

Cheers!

Abbazz
I have always enjoyed using the 85/90mm focal length lenses and have several examples, the Voigtlander being a very compact favorite, but the 40 is a bit of a new thing for me. I'm sure, like others, I have used the 50mm as my primary lens for a very, very long time. The simple SMC M 50/2 has been a real favorite of mine since the 70s. A few years ago I started experimenting with the 35mm focal length but have always struggled a bit with getting compositions that satisfied me. I think using a fifty for so long has spoiled me. After over 40 years I think I have a permanent fifty millimeter eyeball.

Another Pentax Forums member suggested the Voigtlander 40 as a possible option several months ago, and since I picked one up it has seldom been left off the camera. It has become my go to prime lens and though I have not done any formal testing I have never been disappointed with the image quality and the results have always been more than sharp enough. It reminds me a lot of the Pentax SMC K 35/3.5 though in a bit more comfortable focal length for me. And, of course, a very user friendly f/2 aperture doesn't hurt either. I know it is not a Pentax lens but I am sure a lot of Pentaxians would be very happy with it.

If I get a bit of time this summer I should set up a little comparison test. Since I just finished shoveling out my driveway for the third time this week I don't think I'm interested in trying any testing right now.