Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Tokina and had a Cosina-made Vivitar (serial starts with 9) that were identical - same lens exterior, exact same reflections from the glass. The performance was basically identical on APS-C - crazy sharp. I'm told that these are also sharper towards the corner than the Pentax 24mm f/2.8 or even the FA* 24mm, but that's not something I could verify... I have had both the K and A 24mm f/2.8 lenses and they are not as sharp as the Tokina and Cosina/Vivitar, but the rendering is nicer and the flare handling is a bit better. I love the Pentax colors and I probably should have kept the Pentax-A lens, but the Tokina is super good and I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with it.

But keep in mind that the Tokina that I have is a latter version, from the 90s or even early 2000s. It does not have "MC" or "RMC" or anything like that. My first 24mm f/2.8 lens was a Rokinon that was identical to the Tokina RMC pictures I found on the internet, but that lens was not good at all at f/2.8. In fact I'd avoid the earlier Tokinas including the RMC, for that reason.

That's only my 2¢...

03-28-2023, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
03-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I need a little advice. I am thinking of doing a SIC in the near future. The last time was September 2021, when I concentrated on the K 35mm f3.5. I think it is best for me to use a focal length which I feel less than comfortable with such as the 35mm or in this year's case 24mm. I don't want a third party lens so my choice is limited to the FA* f2, A f2.8, K f2.8 or K f3.5. There are very few reviews on any of these lenses on this site and some are quite old (pre K1 and K3!) so it is very hard to judge optical quality from them.
As to usage, I am not interested in wide open speed, typically shooting at f5.6 or f8. I am not bothered overly much about AF (though it is nice) or A aperture convenience. What I am interested in is mid-aperture range image quality especially at infinity rather than close range. As I may not get on with the lens after a month I may well move it on, so I am hesitant about splurging on the FA*, unless the IQ is noticeably better in the aperture range I mostly use.
So what I could do with is guidance over which of the models to choose from people with experience of them.
That extra 4mm of 24mm can be hard to keep up the image quality on full frame. I do have both a Sigma 24mm f1.8 and a Samyang 24mm f1.4, in an effort to do that, they're big.

28mm is traditionally easier to engineer and keep the cost down ... I love my K 28mm f3.5, and it's small.

I do have the little 24mm f2.8 and my copy at least is not sharp.

Last edited by clackers; 03-28-2023 at 05:02 PM.
03-28-2023, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The difference in cost is considerable, but the DFA 21mm f/2.4 DC WR is a truly wonderful lens, especially on the K-1 or K-1 II as a faster-aperture ultra-wide, and great on APS-C also. It is worth every penny if you can swing it. I absolutely love it. I too have long had the Sigma 24mm f/1.8, bought new for 35mm film use back in the day, which is very good- not bad on my K-1 II, but I prefer it more on APS-C for low light use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-28-2023 at 08:47 PM.
03-28-2023, 10:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spent years looking for a "great" 24mm for my K-1, tried K, A and FA models, 3rd party varieties, and none of them was quite what I was hoping for. I finally splurged on the D-FA21, and that lens is a jewel, everything I had been looking for in a lens in this range, and more. The 21mm FOV pairs nicely with the FA31 for a great one-two punch on the wide end of things. It also makes a nice companion for the DFA 28-105 for a great hiking pair.
03-28-2023, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A few have recommended the D FA 21mm. Let me be clear I do not want this lens, as wonderful as it may be. I want to do a SIC in the next couple of months in a field of view range I do not feel comfortable with, in this case the 35mm equivalent on APSC, any use on the K1 as a wide angle is just a bonus really. There is every likelihood of the lens being moved on after the SIC month.

---------- Post added 03-28-23 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That extra 4mm of 24mm can be hard to keep up the image quality on full frame. I do have both a Sigma 24mm f1.8 and a Samyang 24mm f1.4, in an effort to do that, they're big.

28mm is traditionally easier to engineer and keep the cost down ... I love my K 28mm f3.5, and it's small.

I do have the little 24mm f2.8 and my copy at least is not sharp.
Point 1. Indeed, and I don't really need the speed.
Point 2. Yes the K 28mm f3.5 is a great lens, though I would not class it as small. I love mine too, especially as a standard lens on the K3.
Point 3. I did have a Sigma 24mm f2.8 MF lens years ago and on film I found it to be perfectly good,
but when I tried it on my K3 I was very disappointed with it.
03-29-2023, 05:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

If you want to try 24mm, consider two zooms that start there, are very small-light-manageable and which I have grown to love on my K-70 and K-1: The Tamron Adaptall 24-48mm SP, and the Pentax A 24-50mm. I bought both to see how good, and I will definitely keep both. These tend to be cheaper than 24mm primes, and can be irresistibly "keepable".

I also have a very good copy of the Super Takumar 24mm, but it seems bigger and heavier than the zooms, needs a hood to control flare and haze, but a hood for fullframe 35mm lens will give you more protection than the hoods that come with these lenses. My favourite 24mm, better than my smaller Vivitar (Komine) 24mm/2.8.

03-29-2023, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few have recommended the D FA 21mm. Let me be clear I do not want this lens, as wonderful as it may be. I want to do a SIC in the next couple of months in a field of view range I do not feel comfortable with, in this case the 35mm equivalent on APSC, any use on the K1 as a wide angle is just a bonus really. There is every likelihood of the lens being moved on after the SIC month.

---------- Post added 03-28-23 at 11:52 PM ----------

Point 1. Indeed, and I don't really need the speed.
Point 2. Yes the K 28mm f3.5 is a great lens, though I would not class it as small. I love mine too, especially as a standard lens on the K3.
Point 3. I did have a Sigma 24mm f2.8 MF lens years ago and on film I found it to be perfectly good,
but when I tried it on my K3 I was very disappointed with it.
From the reports given, it seems the FA* 24mm f/2 would be the best way to go. Its performance in the range of f/5.6-f/8 should be very satisfactory. And the lens enjoys popularity, so should not be hard to resell.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-29-2023 at 02:04 PM.
03-29-2023, 04:25 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes the K 28mm f3.5 is a great lens, though I would not class it as small. I love mine too, especially as a standard lens on the K3.
?

It has a 52mm filter size - it's small alright!
03-29-2023, 10:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
?

It has a 52mm filter size - it's small alright!
Compared to the K f2 "Hollywood", Vivitar Series 1 f1.9 or a Sigma f1.8 maybe, but to any other K mount 28mm it's a bit of a porker!
03-30-2023, 12:01 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did half a SIC with the A24: Single in July 2021 | Flickr - only half for reasons other than the lens.
It has the typical bold color warm A-rendering, with enough detail for me when stopped down. It is nicely compact. I don't see much of a reason to use it on APS-C, even though I like the focal length, my zoom lenses perform equally well or better and I tend to not use the KP with a prime set too often. It makes a lot more sense on the K-1, which is also less demanding resolution-wise. If anything new in that range, I would likely look for a Zeiss 25mm in ZK or a good Samy, doubling as a fast wide astro landscape lens.
03-30-2023, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K24/2.8 and the FA*24/2. The FA* has come in for a lot of criticism over the years, even here, but I think Peter’s summary of its design (above) is pretty accurate. I’ve enjoyed its rendering and colour on a number of my cameras, but on the K-1 it shows its best.

Having said that, the K24/2.8 is a lovely little gem of a lens. Its rendering may be less dramatic than the FA24/2, but it’s much smaller, lighter and as easy to use as any MF Pentax lens, although the A version would be that much easier, of course. On the K-3iii, the instantaneous stop-down metering pretty much makes up for that. If you want a lens just for the SI monthly competition, I’d suggest going with the K or A 24, rather than fork out for the FA*. If you find you like the focal length, you can always sell it and buy the FA* lens later.

As an aside (maybe a distraction) I also have the lovely little A24-50/4, which is that much more versatile and pretty good for a zoom of its vintage. Maybe worth thinking about as an option?
03-30-2023, 05:16 AM - 5 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need a little advice.
As to usage, I am not interested in wide open speed, typically shooting at f5.6 or f8. I am not bothered overly much about AF (though it is nice) or A aperture convenience. What I am interested in is mid-aperture range image quality especially at infinity rather than close range. As I may not get on with the lens after a month I may well move it on, so I am hesitant about splurging on the FA*, unless the IQ is noticeably better in the aperture range I mostly use.
So what I could do with is guidance over which of the models to choose from people with experience of them.
Over the years I have used the A 24/2.8, K24/3.5, A24-50/4 (as someone suggested earlier) and the FA*24/2. I have enjoyed using all of them and still own the A24 and FA*. I personally think that all of them have easily been good enough for online use and probably small prints although I have only printed coffee table books with them.

Here are some links to Flickr albums from my testing during the SIC
K24: Single in April 2015 Using the SMC Pentax 24mm F3.5 | Flickr
A 24-50 (only on K-1): Single In August 2018 with the SMC Pentax-A 24-50mm F4 | Flickr
FA*24 (only on K-1) Single in August 2022 with the SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF] | Flickr

Some images from the A24 as I have never used this in the SIC

On the K-5 and K-3, last three on the K-1
Attached Images

03-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Compared to the K f2 "Hollywood", Vivitar Series 1 f1.9 or a Sigma f1.8 maybe, but to any other K mount 28mm it's a bit of a porker!
?

You are considering the FA*24, which is 140 grams heavier and 2cm longer!

The K28's performance speaks for itself:

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_28-30.html

You can see the problem with the f2.8 type of 28mm is the corners.

Last edited by clackers; 03-30-2023 at 07:35 PM.
03-31-2023, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are considering the FA*24, which is 140 grams heavier and 2cm longer!
I had not realised that!