Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2023, 12:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
D FA 21mm out of stock?

Does anyone on the forum have insight in Pentax/Ricoh's production and distribution routines?
I've finally pulled the trigger for a D FA 21mm f2.4 from the leading Swedish on-line retailer Cyberphoto. The lens is stated as "on back-order, delivery time unknown". Checking with the Swedish importer/agent FocusNordic the message is the same. Do they have problems getting delivery from Japan? Are Ricoh themselves out of stock? How do they plan their production runs?
It would feel a bit akward having to turn to the second hand market to get hold on their latest lens!
Kjell

03-31-2023, 12:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Does anyone on the forum have insight in Pentax/Ricoh's production and distribution routines?
I've finally pulled the trigger for a D FA 21mm f2.4 from the leading Swedish on-line retailer Cyberphoto. The lens is stated as "on back-order, delivery time unknown". Checking with the Swedish importer/agent FocusNordic the message is the same. Do they have problems getting delivery from Japan? Are Ricoh themselves out of stock? How do they plan their production runs?
It would feel a bit akward having to turn to the second hand market to get hold on their latest lens!
Kjell
If you go to Pentax.eu you will see it is on Spring-offer and available. What I notice is that retailers have problems with keeping their stock at a minimum level. Most of the Ricoh/Pentax sellers have problems with getting the items in time. Perhaps what you and I are confronted with is the new style of doing business, that is from Ricoh straight to the customer (like they do in Japan). I have even problems with acquiring a new K-1 Mark II with any of the retailers in my country. Which means that I will withdraw the order and go on with my KP and K-3 Mark II. Another problem is: if the retailers do not get new camera's and lenses they do not trade in older Ricoh/Pentax gear. Ricoh/Pentax themselves have no trade in program. I guess that this is their way to convert Pentax-users to buying from Ricoh instead of the usual retailer at home....
03-31-2023, 12:35 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Australia only has one left in stock.
I would appear the initial production run sold very well, which I guess is good news for Pentax, but frustrating for those late to the party.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-31-2023 at 12:47 AM.
03-31-2023, 12:40 AM   #4

The lens appears to be in stock on the US Ricoh webstore as well as the big e-tailers like Adorama and B&H Photo. As far as I can tell it is in stock on the Ricoh Japan webstore - at least I can add it to the cart.

I believe there are regional allocations of how many lenses are shipped to distributors. It is not listed as discontinued on the Ricoh site.

You may be able to find it in stock elsewhere in the EU.

03-31-2023, 12:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Kjell
I bought mine from the pentax.eu site instead of cyberphoto.se where I've previously bought a fair bit of gear.

I iddn't fully examine the consequences of this but on the surface it looked like the downsides were minor and the price significantly lower.
03-31-2023, 12:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some (reliable) German retailers list both the DFA21 Ltd. and K-1 II in stock and actually have discounts on them, I guess we're somewhat lucky here.
03-31-2023, 02:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I bought mine from the pentax.eu site instead of cyberphoto.se where I've previously bought a fair bit of gear.

I iddn't fully examine the consequences of this but on the surface it looked like the downsides were minor and the price significantly lower.
In my country Pentax.eu has the same prices as the retailers, but only offers a two year warranty and the retailers give you a five years warranty. (Unfortunately Pentax.eu only gives a six month warranty on refurbished items. The original webshop (before Luzern took over) it was the same warranty as a new item.)

03-31-2023, 03:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would guess, there is no Ricoh warehouse for Pentax products in sweden. Now, if a dealer has no stock available he has to get it from the main partner in sweden, which seems to be focus nordic in göteborg or else from somewhere else in europe. Next guess, if it is getting to complicated for your local store, they just quit trying to get the gear for you and tell you it is out of stock. They just loose a Pentax customer and seem not to care for that. To much effort for no benefit.
03-31-2023, 12:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The list out of stock lenses on focusnordic seems quite numerous, I have impression they have intentionally low stock ( or very successful sales recently...)
04-01-2023, 12:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I would guess, there is no Ricoh warehouse for Pentax products in sweden. Now, if a dealer has no stock available he has to get it from the main partner in sweden, which seems to be focus nordic in göteborg or else from somewhere else in europe. Next guess, if it is getting to complicated for your local store, they just quit trying to get the gear for you and tell you it is out of stock. They just loose a Pentax customer and seem not to care for that. To much effort for no benefit.
I'm afraid that's precisely what's going on. "The other" big online retailer in Sweden, Scandinavian Photo, has quitted selling Pentax gear altogether.
If Ricoh wants to have this direct producer-consumer relation, their presence on national markets needs to be stronger. The Swedish market, as small as it might be, is large enough to make them produce manuals in Swedish, as well as in-body menues.
Buying from any country within the EU isn't a problem (thanks to Ireland English is still a EU language). It's when it comes to warranty issues there might be a problem. You'd want to explain the fine details in your own mothertongue.

Kjell
04-01-2023, 02:00 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would appear the initial production run sold very well, which I guess is good news for Pentax
I'll admit to feeling a trifle smug about this, some of my colleagues thought the DFA21 wouldn't sell so well due to the existence of third party and legacy glass.

They all owe me a bottle of lagavulin.

Pentax K-1 - DFA21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited @ f/11 hand blended HDR.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-01-2023 at 02:37 AM.
04-01-2023, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They all owe me a bottle of Lagavulin.
I can see you on that, and raise you one.
Early adopter's tax is feeling pretty good right now
04-02-2023, 11:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
In my country Pentax.eu has the same prices as the retailers, but only offers a two year warranty and the retailers give you a five years warranty.
As far as know, unless we buy a longer contract, here in the US, the standard for new Pentax lenses is we get just one year!
04-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Some (reliable) German retailers list both the DFA21 Ltd. and K-1 II in stock and actually have discounts on them, I guess we're somewhat lucky here.
Two actually:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?cat=acamobjo&xf=227_24%7E2715_APS-C%2FK...t=p&bl1_id=100
04-04-2023, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine came direct from Ricoh/Pentax. Refurbished at $1099 US. That condition doesn't concern me at all, and in fact might be a plus. A factory refurb means they already got a return and with a report of an issue with that specific lens, fixed it, double-checked that it was corrected, and then put it back up for sale. That's potentially better than a new lens IMHO.