Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2023, 07:52 AM   #1

Help repairing 50mm f1.4 super multicoated takumar lens

I just got a Super multicoated Takumar 50 mm F1.4 lens and discovered there was fungus inside, so I had to take it apart to clean it. I removed the whole front assembly and made sure to mark the group to align it with infinity when I put it back together. But, after reassembling the lens, it wouldn't focus and the front element was protruding forward a bit.
I also removed the focusing ring and I think I may have accidentally moved the focusing mechanism.
I have made a very short video of what I did, along with a photo.
I am very frustrated. ¿Could anyone tell me what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance

Here is the link to the video:

and photo:
IMG_20230406_111320 | w_iglesias | Flickr

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DBY-W09  Photo 
04-06-2023, 09:57 AM   #2

Did you take the focus helicoid apart or not? If you did not and have the focus barrel/ring secured set to infinity. Remove the focus barrel and look through the viewfinder and check the focus on an object far enough away to be considered infinity. Adjust the focus turning the helicoid barrel. Once it is set replace the focus barrel aligning the infinity mark. Tighten down one of the barrel retaining screws and check infinity and close focus. If it looks good tighten down the rest of the screws and re-assemble the rest of the lens. If not, remove the focus barrel again and readjust.

If you took apart the helical and you can't get infinity with the above procedure then you probably have to take the helical apart and try to find the correct entry point. This is a trial and error process if you didn't mark the positions at the point where you separated the helicoid. Even with markings it can sometimes be trial and error.

Note: moved to the SLR Lens Discussion section.
04-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Did you take the focus helicoid apart or not? If you did not and have the focus barrel/ring secured set to infinity. Remove the focus barrel and look through the viewfinder and check the focus on an object far enough away to be considered infinity. Adjust the focus turning the helicoid barrel. Once it is set replace the focus barrel aligning the infinity mark. Tighten down one of the barrel retaining screws and check infinity and close focus. If it looks good tighten down the rest of the screws and re-assemble the rest of the lens. If not, remove the focus barrel again and readjust.

If you took apart the helical and you can't get infinity with the above procedure then you probably have to take the helical apart and try to find the correct entry point. This is a trial and error process if you didn't mark the positions at the point where you separated the helicoid. Even with markings it can sometimes be trial and error.

Note: moved to the SLR Lens Discussion section.
Thank you. I did not take the focus helicoid apart. I will try what you suggested and let you know. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 04-06-23 at 12:03 PM ----------

Did what you suggested. Pointed the camera to an object 50 meters away. Turned the focusing mechanism, still won't focus, it's always blurry. As I have explained previously, I don't think I have changed any elements order, I did take out the front assembly whole, the focusing ring and at the back I did unscrew the last lens at the rear but put it back the way it was. There is something I am missing, I don't know what it is.

I did make another video showing the way I move the focusing mechanism and a general view to see if that helps cast some light.

Thank you kindly
04-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you put in one of the elements upside down?

04-06-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Did you put in one of the elements upside down?
Exactly check you element orientation, make sure you have seated the elements all of the way.
04-06-2023, 09:17 PM   #6

I took the filter ring off of mine.

When set to minumum the bottom of the ring with the screws to anchor to the focus barrel is nearly flush with front of the focus barrel - maybe 0.5-1mm below.

When set to infinity the front edge of the baffled ring is 2-3mm below the front edge of the focus barrel

When yours is set to infinity it is too far out. Perhaps you haven't screwed the front group in far enough or it started to cross thread and won't go in any further If that's the case take it out and examine the threads. You might be able to reseat it and get it to thread properly.
04-06-2023, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took the filter ring off of mine.

When set to minumum the bottom of the ring with the screws to anchor to the focus barrel is nearly flush with front of the focus barrel - maybe 0.5-1mm below.

When set to infinity the front edge of the baffled ring is 2-3mm below the front edge of the focus barrel

When yours is set to infinity it is too far out. Perhaps you haven't screwed the front group in far enough or it started to cross thread and won't go in any further If that's the case take it out and examine the threads. You might be able to reseat it and get it to thread properly.
Or maybe he some how moved the focus collar out of position without realizing it. An easy fix.

04-07-2023, 01:04 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Or maybe he some how moved the focus collar out of position without realizing it. An easy fix.
See post #2 in this thread.

From the displacement that I can discern from the OPs photos it looks as though the barrel is extended to the minimum focus position with the setting at infinity.
04-07-2023, 05:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
See post #2 in this thread.

From the displacement that I can discern from the OPs photos it looks as though the barrel is extended to the minimum focus position with the setting at infinity.
Thank you NOT A NUMBER. I guess you are saying that the focusing ring is showing the infinity mark on the ring is aligned with the index mark but the focusing mechanism is set at the nearest focusing distance?

It may be so. But, regardless of that when I turn the focusing mechanism it won't focus anywhere, near or far. As if there was an element misplaced.
04-07-2023, 05:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

I want to express my gratitude for all of your help with my lens issue. I've been trying to figure out what's going on, and so far, I've checked the threads of the front assembly, and they seem to be perfect and screw in smoothly. I also removed the first element on the front of the barrel, and I examined it carefully to make sure it was positioned correctly, with the flat part facing inwards and the convex side facing outwards towards the front of the lens. The same goes for the rearmost element, it fits only one way, with the concave part pointing outwards.

NICESHOTS suggested that I check the "focus collar". I believe he may be referring to threaded part made of brass, but I'm still not entirely sure how to proceed from there.

I'm feeling disappointed because I was really looking forward to using this lens. I tried it once and it's been on my mind ever since. It was a birthday present for me, and I was hoping to take some beautiful low-light photos with it. Unfortunately, I can't afford one of those Sigma Art lenses, so this lens was my only hope.

Despite my disappointment, I am truly grateful for the support and kindness of everyone in this photography group. You all have been incredibly patient and helpful, and I appreciate your expertise.

I have decided to take my lens to a mechanic. It will cost me €60 and take a week, starting next Thursday. While it's a bit of a blow, I'm hopeful that the mechanic will be able to fix the issue and get my lens working as it should.

I did take a few more photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DBY-W09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DBY-W09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DBY-W09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DBY-W09  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DBY-W09  Photo 
04-07-2023, 09:10 AM   #11

The first and second photos show the helicoid near the infinity position with the focus collar/barrel/ring removed. With the lens mounted can you get infinity focus? Leave off the focus collar to adjust infinity.

The body you are using is what? Fujifilm X-E1 mirrorless? What adapter are you using? Is the adapter supposed to give infinity focus? Does the lens screw completely into the adapter to the base of the lens? Did it focus to infinity before you worked on it?
04-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you NOT A NUMBER.
Yes it´s a Fujifil, X-E1. I did focus fine, before I had the brilliant idea of thinking this would be a walk in the park and rushed into it.

Kind regards,
04-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #13

The optical formula for this lens shows the orientation and sequence of the lenses and groups: You can check if something is reversed or in the wrong order:

04-07-2023, 01:09 PM   #14

I took off the focus barrel/collar/ring from my 50mm f1.4 when it was set to infinity. You can compare the relative distances between the various parts. If your lens cannot be moved into a position similar then the various mechanical components are not assembled correctly.

If you can get relative spacing similar to this and not get infinity focus then some of the optical components (lenses or groups) are not assembled correctly.

Another thing with Takumar lenses of this vintage the glue holding the metal strip with the distance scale dries out and fails. In gluing the strip back in place it needs to be aligned to that the edge of the infinity stop goes center of the google infinity symbol. If this isn't aligned properly it can set the focus throw off.

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-08-2023 at 03:08 AM. Reason: helps to put the image links. Doh!
04-08-2023, 12:30 AM   #15

Original Poster
I am very happy to report we have been successful, and I say we because you've been with me every step of the way.
NOT A NUMBER sent me a diagram and pointed out that ruling out many possible reasons, the only one left was an element put the wrong way.

And it was. What had happened was that when I first opened the lens I was nervous, I set everything in line one after the other, but for some reason I had put an element in a small box put it aside with the rest of the tools and forgot about it.

The good side is:
*I learned the lesson of being ordered, calm and methodical.
*I discovered a forum with fine people who walked with me.
Thank you very much to all of you. If you happen to come to Barcelona, let me know,I will buy you a beer.