Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2023, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Just out of curiosity, how old was the strap?
It was probably about six years old.

04-12-2023, 09:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does your camera still focus properly with other lenses?
04-13-2023, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Does your camera still focus properly with other lenses?
It does. There don't seem to be any issues with the camera.

---------- Post added 04-13-23 at 05:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Sorry to hear about this accident!

Personally, I would NOT use the damaged lens in AF mode anymore. The stiff focus and slow AF suggest that the DC motor is laboring and may be drawing high current from the camera. Over time, it might burn-out the circuits in the K-1.

These tests can help assess some common types of damage to the K-1 by checking for:

1. Loose or stripped mount screws. (Use a JIS screwdriver to check that the screws are tight.);

2. Changes in front/back focus with AF and focus screen sharpness compared to live view. (distortion of the mirror box, focus screen, PDAF and mirror positioning posts can change the distances to these crucial components.);

3. Uneven focus if the lens mount is no longer parallel to sensor. (A wide angle lens shot of the stars or a brick wall is a good test of this. If damaged, one side or corner of the frame will be relatively front-focused whilst the other side or corner is relatively back-focused.); and

4. Over-exposure if the camera is held sideways, upside down, etc. (The exposure sensor by knocked loose by a severe jolt.)

Good luck!
I haven't used the DFA *70-200 since the disaster. Obviously, right afterward you try to focus and zoom to see what is going on, but after that the lens went on the shelf.

Trying out the camera, I don't see any issues. I think the fall probably was not quite as far as I said -- probably more like two feet and because the lens was hanging down, most of the brunt of the force was absorbed by the lens. It doesn't mean there won't be issues with the camera down the road, but for the moment it seems to be working fine without any obvious decentering or focus/exposure issues.
04-13-2023, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a problem with my DFA* 70-200 - I tripped while carrying it mounted on the K-1 on a tripod - it was a softish landing on a salt marsh, but it stripped the thread od one or more of the screws that attach the the metal mounting bit to the camera - the lens now works fine, but I have to remember to hold it tight to the camera body or one side of the image is soft.

Anyway, that's all just background - I can't presently afford to replace or repair it, but it's such a good lens that I still take it and use it like I always did (only with more care). The point being, that even limping on is better than not having - but if I could afford it I'd get it repaired not replaced - if you love the results from your copy, you take the risk of another never quite satisfying you.

04-14-2023, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I didn't take a photo of the strap but this is someone else's photo of the strap. The issue was the little metal tab that fits up into the metal rectangle that the strap slides through. That metal tab apparently over time can wear thin and then slip through the slot that it is inserted through. It isn't something that I checked on frequently, but I don't think I'll be using this style strap in the future -- at least not checking on its security.
I use a Black Rapid strap similar that except mine has a plastic cover that locks the carabineer from coming loose. I know I should check my strap more often and this is a perfect reason for me to do so. I had a similar experience with my K3 and my DA*16-50. Although they did not fall far, it was far enough to decenter my 16-50 and mess up my K3. My K3 worked for several more years until two years ago when the electronics went haywire, Simply because of Precision Camera I never considered fixing it. My experience with them is whole different story. I ended up buying a K3ii from Japan that was in mint condition with a zero shutter count. My 16-50 still works, it is just the right side of all the images is a little soft. I just live with it. I use my 16-85 for images where I need edge to edge sharpness.

All in all it just sucks. That DFA* 70-200 is just one special lens. In my opinion getting it fixed really comes down to several factors. The first being how long do you want to be without it? Most likely then will end up sending it back to Japan. That can take months, Second will be how much to do you want to invest into a lens that may never work quite right again? Of course it could get fixed and work just like new, but that is anyone's guess. It really is almost a no win situation. Personally I would probably not get it fixed. That is just my own two cents. I really do not put much faith in Precision unfortunately. I would rather put my money into a properly functioning used lens.

This is the end of my Black Rapid strap.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-17-2023, 06:29 AM   #21

Ouch, this hurts!

As it happens, I've looked around for a DFA* 70-200 myself in the past few days. For copies with 1y warranty, you're looking at 1500 and more.

A decent copy will start around $1000, but then you will have to do a bit more research on seller, return policy, etc.

Sometimes, you can find slightly cheaper ones, e.g. with the hood missing.In your case, this might be OK if the hood of your current lens is undamaged; for me it was not worth the discount because a new hood is easily over 100 euro shipped to EU.
04-17-2023, 06:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about this, I have had a shock or two in my time but not with gear of such high value. This is precisely why I don't use straps attached anywhere but where they're supposed to.

My K-3 took a similar fall onto solid steel and was fine after (as was the DA 35mm Limited attached to it). I think if the camera's fine now then it's very unlikely to develop any problems in the future that can be attributed to the fall.

I'd say a DFA* 70-200 is worth the repair cost but maybe you can find somewhere local to take it in. I've had AF lenses with stiff focus fixed before and it's been cheap (but they were much older and simpler than the 70-200).

To my mind, the problem is the failure of the strap attachment and unless BR state in the brochure that the strap should be serviced or inspected on a regular basis then they caused it with the failure of their product.