Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2023, 04:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Worth Fixing?

I had a disaster this last weekend. I had a black rapid strap on my camera that failed. There is a metal piece that worked out and my camera fell about 3 feet onto concrete.

Anyway, I had the DFA *70-200 mounted on a K-1 camera. The K-1 is fine, but the 70-200 had filter on the front that is now cracked and locked on with a good sized dent in the filter ring. The lens will focus but it is extremely slow and if you manually turn the focus ring, it is really stiff. Optically, the lens seems OK.

Anyway, Precision quotes 500-ish dollars just to look at it and I am not certain if it is worth it or if I just need to get a different copy in better shape. I know you all don't know, but I would welcome some input.

04-10-2023, 05:18 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My advice:
Don't chance the K-1 being "fine". Make both camera and lens an insurance claim and send to Precision. You'd want the camera checked and calibrated, at minimum.
04-11-2023, 12:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure it will be any more expensive to have them look at both; I dropped my camera and the lens, and it seemed like the standard price for just a camera repair (at the time like $350). The lens, however, had to be sent to Japan to be checked out, so it took a little while to come back.
04-11-2023, 02:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wasn't really planning to turn it in on insurance. I have a thousand dollar deductible and they probably won't allow me much more on a 6 year old camera and a seven year old lens.

My plan was to use the camera till it stopped working, but if the lens was repairable for a reasonable amount to fix it, but if it was approaching the price of a used a lens to fix it, to just get a used lens to replace it. If 500 dollars will fix the lens and it will be fine, that would be my preference, but if I send it to Precision and they tell me that it will be another 300 dollars then I might as well get a used one instead.

04-11-2023, 03:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking how you must have felt when this happened. I have no real advice to offer about how to proceed in the USA. Where I am, I would take it into C.R. Kennedy's Adelaide office and ask them to get a quote from Melbourne about repair. If it turned out to be prohibitive, I would definitely get in touch with my household insurance company.

On the other hand, I also have (and really like) a BlackRapid double camera strap, and for the last few years I have always backed up the tripod thread attachment with a second light strap clipping into a Peak Design anchor link on the camera's strap lug.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-11-2023 at 03:26 AM.
04-11-2023, 03:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I had a disaster this last weekend. I had a black rapid strap on my camera that failed. There is a metal piece that worked out and my camera fell about 3 feet onto concrete.

Sorry to read that :-(

I also have this black rapid strap. Could you post some images here to show what went wrong?
04-11-2023, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . .

Anyway, I had the DFA *70-200 mounted on a K-1 camera. The K-1 is fine, but the 70-200 had filter on the front that is now cracked and locked on with a good sized dent in the filter ring. The lens will focus but it is extremely slow and if you manually turn the focus ring, it is really stiff. Optically, the lens seems OK.

Anyway, Precision quotes 500-ish dollars just to look at it and I am not certain if it is worth it or if I just need to get a different copy in better shape. I know you all don't know, but I would welcome some input.
I suggest you consider contacting phototronic.biz here in Topeka KS and see what he suggests.

Camera Repair - phototronic.biz

(785) 233 0231

He is a one person shop open 12:30-6 M-F

04-11-2023, 04:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oooops, sorry to hear that. I really don't know what to suggest, but I will take some time to check the condition of all my straps.
04-11-2023, 04:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Expensive accident. When I learned something about camera repair, the service can fix basically everything. Assume to get your lens fixed for 500 bucks, I had a DFA*50 torn apart which cost me around 400 a couple years ago. The lens is worth more than 500. Have the camera checked at some point, you don’t want it to fail in the future. Checking in camera and lens may cost less than doing this individually.
Insurance should cover the new value, but that can be found n the insurance policy.
04-11-2023, 04:50 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago I had a camera strap fail at the place it attached to the camera, a sharp edge on the triangle attachment point cut it

Ever since then I use something like this

"Altura Photo Camera Tether Safety Strap for DSLR Cameras "

as a backup attaching the camera to the main strap
04-11-2023, 05:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I would try to get it fixed, but might contact someone else. I had a lens which had been bumped before, a repair shop around town opened it, replaced some moving gears, and it was as good as new.
04-11-2023, 06:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Sorry to read that :-(

I also have this black rapid strap. Could you post some images here to show what went wrong?
I didn't take a photo of the strap but this is someone else's photo of the strap. The issue was the little metal tab that fits up into the metal rectangle that the strap slides through. That metal tab apparently over time can wear thin and then slip through the slot that it is inserted through. It isn't something that I checked on frequently, but I don't think I'll be using this style strap in the future -- at least not checking on its security.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7200  Photo 
04-11-2023, 06:37 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about this accident!

Personally, I would NOT use the damaged lens in AF mode anymore. The stiff focus and slow AF suggest that the DC motor is laboring and may be drawing high current from the camera. Over time, it might burn-out the circuits in the K-1.

These tests can help assess some common types of damage to the K-1 by checking for:

1. Loose or stripped mount screws. (Use a JIS screwdriver to check that the screws are tight.);

2. Changes in front/back focus with AF and focus screen sharpness compared to live view. (distortion of the mirror box, focus screen, PDAF and mirror positioning posts can change the distances to these crucial components.);

3. Uneven focus if the lens mount is no longer parallel to sensor. (A wide angle lens shot of the stars or a brick wall is a good test of this. If damaged, one side or corner of the frame will be relatively front-focused whilst the other side or corner is relatively back-focused.); and

4. Over-exposure if the camera is held sideways, upside down, etc. (The exposure sensor by knocked loose by a severe jolt.)

Good luck!
04-11-2023, 07:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Blackrapid themselves market a backup strap;

Extra Secure - Camera Strap Safety Tether II - BLACKRAPID
04-11-2023, 04:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just out of curiosity, how old was the strap?