Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
How about the well-regarded FA28-105 F3.2-4.5?

Very light, compact, relatively fast and with good IQ. Aspherical element(s), internal focusing, ghostless coating.

I have that lens Pentax FA 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5 before in silver color, it couldn't match the DA* zoom in terms of IQ, sharpness especially in wide open aperture. Color is quite good with the zoom.

It is a great walk-around lens and I will recommend it for walk-around purpose but not as a replacement for the DA* zoom. It is also a great lens to have if you like short zoom in traveling. I have since replaced this walk-around with Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 as 1-lens that do many things as I need a wider angle for landscape and both are great choices of short zoom for traveling light in weekend and vacation. But both can't match the DA* in terms of IQ, prime like quality especially in wider apertures to cover events in dim lighting.

Thanks,
Hin

10-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have that lens before in silver color, it couldn't match the DA* zoom in terms of IQ, sharpness especially in wide open aperture. Color is quite good with the zoom.

It is a great walk-around lens and I will recommend it for walk-around purpose but not as a replacement for the DA* zoom.
It's probably not fair to compare the FA28-105 F3.2-4.5 with a lens that costs 10x as much.

Having said that, for the price it is a great lens and only 1/3 stop slower than F2.8 at the short end. If someone wants a cheaper 'alternative' to the DA*, this would be one to consider!