Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 113 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2023, 04:01 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ok, but MY problem is that (so far) I do not have a FF camera so I can't fully test a FF lens that I buy online. I am happy to trust a PF member, or to be more specific, a PF member who has shown that they are a good marketplace seller PLUS has experience with examining/rating lenses (e.g. one of the long-timers).

I'm not concerned that they will pack a lens wrong and I'll get a broken lens.

05-27-2023, 04:11 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Ok, but MY problem is that (so far) I do not have a FF camera so I can't fully test a FF lens that I buy online.
Maybe a good opportunity to rent, or even rent and then purchase the rental?
05-27-2023, 04:17 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Maybe a good opportunity to rent, or even rent and then purchase the rental?
I considered that. I do have a $25 off coupon for Lensrentals.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 05-27-2023 at 06:50 AM.
05-27-2023, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Then rent, for sure.

05-27-2023, 10:21 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Cheap lenses that aren't horrible get over rated.

Pricey lenses that don't live up to some fantasy expectation can get under rated.

As is life.
05-28-2023, 07:30 AM - 3 Likes   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Ok, but MY problem is that (so far) I do not have a FF camera so I can't fully test a FF lens that I buy online. I am happy to trust a PF member, or to be more specific, a PF member who has shown that they are a good marketplace seller PLUS has experience with examining/rating lenses (e.g. one of the long-timers).

I'm not concerned that they will pack a lens wrong and I'll get a broken lens.
The only things you might miss out on by not being able to test on FF is softness in the corners and slight de-centring. Lenses that are bad outside the very centre, rather than having soft corners, will be visible on APS-C and most decentring will be visible at the edges of APS-C unless it's very slight.

In summary, I wouldn't worry about this too much. If it performs well on APS-C then it will very likely do so on FF (assuming it's a FF lens of course). If it performs poorly on APS-C then it will almost certainly do the same on FF. So APS-C will detect almost all optical lens faults or weaknesses on a FF lens.