Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 113 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2023, 10:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad amigo review is skewing rating

I was thinking of adding to my (1 out of) 3 (so far) Amigo family (I have the 43, silver, Japan) with the 31, and I always start with the forum ratings page to learn about a lens.

The ratings page for the D FA had a user rating of 5! So I looked more closely and the last person (BANNED, BTW) left a 1-1-1-1-1-1 rating (the other, much less angry and not-BANNED reviewers left more complimentary reviews and numbers).

Well, I am certainly not a .."high-volume professional wedding photographer" so maybe I have no idea what I am talking about, but I wonder if the mods might want to review this. Perhaps the BANNED OP was tired from doing 35 weddings in 16 weeks.

I've seen plenty of forum posts about the Amigos in general and the 31 specifically, and although there are only 3 formal reviews on the ratings page, based on forum posts, the 31 seems like it is not as much of a crudbucket as the BANNED dude says it is.

I can certainly ignore that review by the BANNED person and make my own determination, but I think it is not fair that my poor amigo gets a bad rating because someone (who is BANNED, did I mention that?) had a bad day.

Cheers to all!

04-12-2023, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Internet reviews: read more than one. Some are overrating a product, some are underrating it.

The non-banned review is quite comprehensive and maybe you need to understand that the amigo under review is not the ultimate lens for everyone and every use case.
04-12-2023, 10:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Internet reviews: read more than one. Some are overrating a product, some are underrating it.

The non-banned review is quite comprehensive and maybe you need to understand that the amigo under review is not the ultimate lens for everyone and every use case.
Yes, I generally read more than one and I also rely on forum members, I was just surprised at the 5 and thought it was unfair that someone could come in and trash it and then just leave (although "leave" is maybe not the right word in this case).

Anyway, as I said, I can ignore it and do my own research, starting here
04-12-2023, 10:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good copy of the FA31 is a spectacular lens, and the legendary reputation is well deserved.

Sure - there are lemons too. A good copy is sharp from f1.8 and purple fringing is well controlled. A lemon lacks in especially those two regards.

The advice is to buy a new one, check it immediately, keep or return. Or buy a used and confirmed copy from a trusted pentaxian here on the forum.

((Then of course there is the SMC vs HD discussion too. But that is an entirely personal matter - since it all comes down to taste.))

But in all, don't hesitate because someone received a lemon, or had expectations that didn't match reality or the purpose of the lens. A good FA31 copy is a superb lens.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 04-12-2023 at 11:03 PM.
04-12-2023, 11:02 PM - 18 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
high-volume professional wedding photographer
In my experience "High Volume Wedding Photographer" usually means student in their early~mid 30's, overbooked, outfitted in an off the rack ready-wear designer suit that is simultaneously too large in places and too small in others. Strung out on caffeine and mortgaged up to their eyeballs trying to pay back their student loans by using the skill with the lowest barrier to entry and the highest paying clients. Artistry really isn't consideration as all they are after is usable results even under the worst possible conditions.

They can sometimes be seen shooting strobist style using translucent white shopping bags for light modifiers* and the occasional reflector sometimes attached to a flimsy lighting stand held together with nothing more than duct tape and hope, or held by their significant other often in high winds. For the most part they use generic lenses such as the formulaic, stock standard 70-200mm f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 15-30mm f/2.8 trio. Photography isn't an art to these people, it is simply an means to an end. Seeing these guys working with faster than f/2.8 primes is uncommon and frequently the results are like watching a narcoleptic tamarin with fingerpaints trying to replicate an Albrecht Dürer painting.

*yes, I have witnessed a wedding photographer doing this.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-13-2023 at 04:22 AM.
04-12-2023, 11:08 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I'd say that this has happened with other reviews as well. I happen to have all 3 amigos and started up with FA 77, followed by 43 and then 31. FA 31 limited does have it's quirks which has lead to some users call it as 'Diva' and this is mostly because it can also deliver very beautiful images when it 'want'. This is not true completelly, because you can learn what does work and what does not (strenghts and weakness thing with this lens). But sometimes it's character does give that unique look we all know it produces. Most of it's 'faults' has been addressed with HD version while still having most of the character left.

I have SMC made in Japan version. And yes, it has it's character and is best seen when used with K-1(which I sold and am now using K-3III). I'm lusting after DFA 21 because it seems to have that magic even with K-3III what 31 has on K-1 AND can be used with that new K-1 which is hopefully coming also.

Compared to more modern lenses(like Sigma 35/1.4) this lens is not as uniform and predictable, especially if you shoot wide open. And these characteristics can lead to some one get very frustrated when they invest a lot of money to it. Honestly. While it can deliver very beautiful wide open images and it has character, just like your FA 43 does, but differently.

Then again, stopped down FA 31 compares quite well even with most recent lenses. Some people does say that this is not the reason why you buy f 1.8 lens.

( Actually for that reason you have DFA * 50 and * 85. )

you buy FA 31 limited for the whole image, not for pixel peep, especially when shooting wide open. I usually leave auto correction off at LR, because then it will look just like any other wide lens with out character.

That is my 2 cents.

04-12-2023, 11:43 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
In my experience "High Volume Wedding Photographer" usually means....
Thanks for one of the best belly laughs I have had for a while

As for the moderation of such reviews, I think most people can spot sour grapes when they see them. Using a deep crop of an extremely contrasty corner is a pretty cynical way to pick faults with a classic lens.

04-13-2023, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks for one of the best belly laughs I have had for a while

As for the moderation of such reviews, I think most people can spot sour grapes when they see them. Using a deep crop of an extremely contrasty corner is a pretty cynical way to pick faults with a classic lens.
I thought he did well, there is an almost obscene amount of purple fringing on display but I am also wondering if he enhanced it a little by using a slider or two in Lightroom - I think I might just be a bit more impressed that he averages 2700 images per wedding on a K-1 - 'that is professional levels of dedication to use a K-1 as a spray and pray camera'. Items highlighted in Italics are pure sarcasm

Last edited by robbiec; 04-13-2023 at 01:52 AM.
04-13-2023, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I generally read more than one and I also rely on forum members, I was just surprised at the 5 and thought it was unfair that someone could come in and trash it and then just leave (although "leave" is maybe not the right word in this case).

Anyway, as I said, I can ignore it and do my own research, starting here
I, too, am sometimes bothered by obvious troll or "I'm not even trying here" reviews. I don't mind when someone has issues with a lens, down rates some part of it or generally "isn't a fan" of a lens.

But there are some that aren't even reviews that I've run across. Just someone who came by, clicked on the lowest numbers possible and left it. They do stand out and they aren't even close to a "well, there's a fine line between like and dislike."

They're obviously just bad faith. Personally, I'd prefer if those were removed. Yes, I can ignore what he did, but what is the purpose of having numerical ratings if there's acceptance of bold attempts to subvert the numerical ratings.

I may not have said this right so far, but yeah, I agree with you. It's annoying.
04-13-2023, 03:31 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Then of course there is the SMC vs HD discussion too.
And then there is the FA limited Made in Japan Vs Made in Vietnam - there is no difference essentially, and I think the preference persists to this day for no other reason than thinly veiled racial prejudice.
04-13-2023, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking of adding to my (1 out of) 3 (so far) Amigo family (I have the 43, silver, Japan) with the 31, and I always start with the forum ratings page to learn about a lens.

The ratings page for the D FA had a user rating of 5! So I looked more closely and the last person (BANNED, BTW) left a 1-1-1-1-1-1 rating (the other, much less angry and not-BANNED reviewers left more complimentary reviews and numbers).

Well, I am certainly not a .."high-volume professional wedding photographer" so maybe I have no idea what I am talking about, but I wonder if the mods might want to review this. Perhaps the BANNED OP was tired from doing 35 weddings in 16 weeks.

I've seen plenty of forum posts about the Amigos in general and the 31 specifically, and although there are only 3 formal reviews on the ratings page, based on forum posts, the 31 seems like it is not as much of a crudbucket as the BANNED dude says it is.

I can certainly ignore that review by the BANNED person and make my own determination, but I think it is not fair that my poor amigo gets a bad rating because someone (who is BANNED, did I mention that?) had a bad day.

Cheers to all!
I agree that here at this site we need to adjust the overall ratings of the lenses. While these are far from bench tests, there's more than one that's been skewed by an single disgruntled user. I'll bring it up in the mods forum.
04-13-2023, 04:12 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience "High Volume Wedding Photographer" usually means student in their early~mid 30's, overbooked, outfitted in an off the rack ready-wear designer suit that is simultaneously too large in places and too small in others. Strung out on caffeine and mortgaged up to their eyeballs trying to pay back their loans by using the skill with the lowest barrier to entry and the highest paying clients. Artistry really isn't consideration as all they are after is usable results even under the worst possible conditions.

They can sometimes be seen shooting strobist style using translucent white shopping bags for light modifiers* and the occasional reflector sometimes attached to a flimsy lighting stand held together with nothing more than duct tape and hope, or held by their significant other often in high winds. For the most part they use generic lenses such as the formulaic, stock standard 70-200mm f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 15-30mm f/2.8 trio. Photography isn't an art to these people, it is simply an means to an end. Seeing these guys working with faster than f/2.8 primes is uncommon and frequently the results are like watching a narcoleptic tamarin with fingerpaints trying to replicate an Albrecht Dürer painting.

*yes, I have witnessed a wedding photographer doing this.
Well, tell us what you really think! Me, I'm too scared to do weddings, for a lot of reasons, even though now I'd probably be better than average. But my taste would always cause friction with the brides and their mothers....
04-13-2023, 04:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And then there is the FA limited Made in Japan Vs Made in Vietnam - there is no difference essentially, and I think the preference persists to this day for no other reason than thinly veiled racial prejudice.
I admittedly developed an "Made in Japan" fixation early on. Luckily I managed to eventually overcome it, and got both FA31 and FA77 "assembled in Vietnam. Couldn't be happier. And, one less "thing" (that tend to block the big picture) to care about.
04-13-2023, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I think I might just be a bit more impressed that he averages 2700 images per wedding on a K-1
Clearly it's all Indian 4-day weddings

---------- Post added 04-13-23 at 04:19 AM ----------

Both my 43 and 77 are MIJ... But that was because they were good bargains .

Silver is mandatory though.
04-13-2023, 04:30 AM - 9 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
tell us what you really think! Me, I'm too scared to do weddings, for a lot of reasons, even though now I'd probably be better than average. But my taste would always cause friction with the brides and their mothers.
I don't to weddings because I have priced my time well out of the market, though after hearing tales of a photographer getting repeat business from the same bride getting married eight times...I suppose the repeat business is nice, but getting booked by the same bride EIGHT times. I'm too much of a cynic for that.

I did work for an eloping gay couple I knew...the shoot was actually so much fun I did the work gratis. The night before they had a break in at their house and the rings were among the things that were stolen, but I know a high end bespoke jeweler who knows me well and he was all to happy to loan two pieces of his work for the shoot. Though it turns out the couple ended up buying the rings in the end, so that was a bonus for the jeweler.

That was the closest to shooting a wedding I have ever gotten. I do bring cameras to family weddings and such events, but I have never been an official wedding photographer.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-13-2023 at 06:51 PM.