Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which 70-200mm f/2.8?

Tamron, Sigma, or they are both the same so it doesn't really matter. I am leaning towards the Sigma because the last two Tamron's have not been very durable. Granted, the 70-300mm LD DI macro is a very inexpensive lens but I've been through two of them in two years. One was kicked and the other was dropped from about 2 feet. Both were in a camera bag when the damage occurred. Afterward the focus was off both times. So I'm wondering if the more expensive Tamron will be more durable. Also time to look for a better camera bag.

PLease share your observation of both lenses.

12-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
GSk
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just bought a 70-200 lens myself. I landed on the Sigma, and the reason is the HSM autofocus motor and the faster AF. The Tamron is said to be a bit sharper, but with slower and more noisy autofocus motor. Also the Tamron is a little bit cheaper (at least in Norway) and lighter.

Depends on which is most important. I think fast autofocus is important, and it is nice with the silent autofocus motor too.
01-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I received the Sigma for Christmas and really like the lens. I picked it over the Tamron based on the HSM. It is a fine piece of engineering, very solid and works very well for me.
01-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
GSk
Inactive Account

HSM usable with TC?

Do you know if HSM is still functioning with a TC combined with the Sigma 70-200mm vs II lens?

01-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The Sigma website indicates that the current 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters will not function with the Pentax body and the new lens. I would hope either the new Pentax TC or an update to the Sigma will correct this down the road for those wishing to use a TC.
01-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I ordered the Tamron when it was announced and finely recieved it in November, tried it for 2 weeks and returned it and am waiting on a second copy. I found it to front focus almost 100% of the time no matter what settings were used I can say what was in focus was sharp but just not what was the target. If the second copy does the same I will try the Sigma as my 70-300 works very well but the Tamron was about $130.00 less when I ordered it.
01-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #7

Does anyone know how the Sigma or Tamron for that matter, compares to the Pentax 50-135 in terms of AF speed? Is the focus throw (or focus path) as long as it is on the Pentax? I hope not?

On the 50-135, it's about 3.5 inches.

Last edited by Marcus; 01-01-2009 at 10:26 AM.
01-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go Sigma

I have the Sigma and I would recommend it.

You can argue about IQ, even give the edge to the Tamron but will you ever see it in real world shooting?

Negatives on the Tamron when I decided:

To go from auto to manual focus you have to move the focus ring in and out to engage a clutch. From there you have to change the focus switch on the camera body. Not very spontaneous.

The focus ring turns when auto focussing.

The build quality isn't as fine as the Sigma.

The screw drive is slower and noisier than the Sigma.
01-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #9

I have both the Tamron and DA*50-135. The Tamron has equal IQ to DA* except for around 135mm where it's softer wide open, but stopped down past F3.5 I feel both are equal. In terms of AF speed, the Tamron feels if not faster then the same to me (not scientifically tested), maybe it's the high pitched screwdrive motor noise that makes it seem/sound faster.
01-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #10

Hi Joe,
I am considering getting the Sigma 70-200 .. would you be so kind as to provide some 100% crops from the lens shot at f/2.8...

Regards

patrick
01-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just bought the Tamron Waiting for it to be delivered. think has better IQ.
01-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I bought an older version of the Sigma off Ebay as I read varying reports regarding IQ on the HSM II version.

Half the price of a new one and works with both the 1.4x and 2x EX converters which was important to me.