Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #1

TC For DA* lenses?

Does anyone know when Pentax is suppose to come out with the TC 1.4 for DA* lenses?
I just got the 300mm DA* and need a little more reach. What other options are there or should I just wait?
Thanks

12-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Tamron 1.4x TC works with my DA* 300mm. I haven't done any serious evaluation of results, though. The question is whether the results are sharper than "digital zoom by cropping"
12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Does anyone know when Pentax is suppose to come out with the TC 1.4 for DA* lenses?
I just got the 300mm DA* and need a little more reach. What other options are there or should I just wait?
Thanks
I'd wait. One of the good things about the DA* is the SDM and if you don't match it with an SDM TC you have defeated a good reasaon for purchasing that lens.
01-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are a couple of TCs that will work with the DA* lenses but I don't think either is in production (can only find them used). I have one of them, the older non DG version of the Kenko 1.5x TC. The IQ with the DA* is good, although it will hunt in low lighting conditions (no surprise there).

Here is a link to some shots I took with it recently, in that thread there is a link to the what the Kenko TC looks like.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/44803-da-300-kenko-1-5xt...der-shots.html

All that being said, if the new Pentax TC is weather sealed and is at least as good as the Kenko IQ wise I'll be picking that up.

John

01-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
There are a couple of TCs that will work with the DA* lenses but I don't think either is in production (can only find them used). I have one of them, the older non DG version of the Kenko 1.5x TC. The IQ with the DA* is good, although it will hunt in low lighting conditions (no surprise there).

Here is a link to some shots I took with it recently, in that thread there is a link to the what the Kenko TC looks like.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/44803-da-300-kenko-1-5xt...der-shots.html

All that being said, if the new Pentax TC is weather sealed and is at least as good as the Kenko IQ wise I'll be picking that up.

John

I can also confirm that Kenko 1.5x also works on the AF and SDM of my DA200mm

I am not a TC person of the 200mm as I have A300mmF4.

Here is an image of the 1,5x with DA200mm

Daniel
01-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to add a little confusion, I have the da 300mm and the kenko 1.5x shq pz (non dg) and the focus goes back and forth so much I don't use it though the IQ is pretty good. I don't want to screw up the focus motor. the pentax 1.7x afa works great if you can find one, but they are pricey and you prefocus a bit to use it. I would try another kenko if I knew it would work, maybe mine is wonky. Too bad we can't switch to screw drive in the menu (if it would make any difference) I hope the new pentax TC doesn't take as long as the 60-250mm
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Just to add a little confusion, I have the da 300mm and the kenko 1.5x shq pz (non dg) and the focus goes back and forth so much I don't use it though the IQ is pretty good. I don't want to screw up the focus motor. the pentax 1.7x afa works great if you can find one, but they are pricey and you prefocus a bit to use it. I would try another kenko if I knew it would work, maybe mine is wonky. Too bad we can't switch to screw drive in the menu (if it would make any difference) I hope the new pentax TC doesn't take as long as the 60-250mm
I love to try out the TC with DA300mmF4. Given the limitation of light (F2.8 vs F4), I am not surprised with your report.

Make sure you test that in very good light. The SDM and AF should work

Daniel