Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Which 24-70mm to go with??

I have the k10 with the 18-55 kit lens, and am finally ready to get another lens. I'm looking for an "all purpose" lens, and think a f/2.8 24-70mm will be a good choice.

Check out these two from Sigma, let me know what you think:

Option #1: Aspherical Lens .. not sure I understand what this does for me??
Sigma - Lenses

Option #2: HSM Zoom (not Aspherical though)
Sigma - Lenses

I'm used this HSM Zoom Feature w/ a Sigma rental from cameralensrentals.com .. it's a cool feature, one I really like.

Which would you choose? What else should I be considering?

Last edited by deludel; 01-01-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Formatting
01-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmmm... I was reading a thread around here recently that said modern lenses with aspherical aren't necessarily optically better, and might actually be cheaper to produce, so I wouldn't worry whether a lens uses aspherical elements, but rather how it scores in reviews and how you like the results if you can try it yourself (as you obviously are with that one). I haven't used either of those lenses, though since they're from Sigma's EX line, you probably find both to be good lenses. Consider also the Sigma 24-60mm/2.8 EX DG as you can get one for $220 from Cameta. I had one of those and didn't feel that 24mm was wide enough for me for a general use zoom, so I sold it and a bunch of other stuff to fund the Pentax DA* 16-50. If you're keeping your 18-55mm or you or if you seldom use the range from 18-24mm (or are planning to have a dedicated ultra-wide lens like the 12-24mm), starting at 24mm might be a good option, but I found I really missed the ability to get the wide shots - maybe you won't.

You could also look at the two 17-70mm options (Sigma and Pentax), the 16/17/18-50 f/2.8 options (Pentax/Tamron/Sigma) or keeping the 18-55 and adding focal length with a different range. I briefly used the sigma 18-50/2.8 EX DC (non-macro) which can be found for less that $200 on ebay and found it to be a good lens - the macro has a better reputation and commands more money.

There really are too many options .
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
I have the k10 with the 18-55 kit lens, and am finally ready to get another lens. I'm looking for an "all purpose" lens, and think a f/2.8 24-70mm will be a good choice.

Check out these two from Sigma, let me know what you think:

Option #2: HSM Zoom (not Aspherical though)
Sigma - Lenses
The Pentax mount version of the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM isn't out yet, and may be pricey. This lens is on the top of my list since I need fast focusing for candid photojournalism photography. For a walking around lens consider the non-HSM for about 1/3 the price of the HSM version. This is just a guess - not sure what the street price will be yet.
01-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I second the 24-60mm/2.8. It's a fantastic lens...

01-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Keep in mind the old 24-70 is a BEAST...82mm filters I believe. It is from ye olde 35mm days, after all.
01-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Keep in mind the old 24-70 is a BEAST...82mm filters I believe. It is from ye olde 35mm days, after all.
I second that BEAST comment. I sold my copy and went with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 mostly because of the size. The difference in FoV at the wide end wasn't that big between the two.
01-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

I have a Sigma 24-135, 2.8-4.5, which is my main carry around lens. Unfortunately they don't make it any more. I got the 17-70 Macro, 2.8-4.5 for while it was in the shop recently. I like that too, for the macro, but find the first more generally useful.

Don
01-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
The new HSM redesign also uses 82mm filters...they should have brought it down to a more normal 77mm when they did the redesign...

01-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Hmmmm... I was reading a thread around here recently that said modern lenses with aspherical aren't necessarily optically better, and might actually be cheaper to produce, so I wouldn't worry whether a lens uses aspherical elements, but rather how it scores in reviews and how you like the results if you can try it yourself (as you obviously are with that one). I haven't used either of those lenses, though since they're from Sigma's EX line, you probably find both to be good lenses. Consider also the Sigma 24-60mm/2.8 EX DG as you can get one for $220 from Cameta. I had one of those and didn't feel that 24mm was wide enough for me for a general use zoom, so I sold it and a bunch of other stuff to fund the Pentax DA* 16-50. If you're keeping your 18-55mm or you or if you seldom use the range from 18-24mm (or are planning to have a dedicated ultra-wide lens like the 12-24mm), starting at 24mm might be a good option, but I found I really missed the ability to get the wide shots - maybe you won't.

You could also look at the two 17-70mm options (Sigma and Pentax), the 16/17/18-50 f/2.8 options (Pentax/Tamron/Sigma) or keeping the 18-55 and adding focal length with a different range. I briefly used the sigma 18-50/2.8 EX DC (non-macro) which can be found for less that $200 on ebay and found it to be a good lens - the macro has a better reputation and commands more money.

There really are too many options .
This is all good stuff to consider, thanks so much! I read the reviews on Amazon for the Cameta lens .. it didn't get great reviews, and it looks like most had to send it back to get a focusing issue resolved I was hoping it would be a nice, cheap option, but I think I'll pass ....

I haven't played w/ WA lenses yet, so I don't think the 24mm will bother me ...

Thanks again!
01-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
The Pentax mount version of the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM isn't out yet, and may be pricey. This lens is on the top of my list since I need fast focusing for candid photojournalism photography. For a walking around lens consider the non-HSM for about 1/3 the price of the HSM version. This is just a guess - not sure what the street price will be yet.
This explains why I have not found a price on the HSM version! WOW, I was driving myself (and Google!) crazy!

Any idea when the HSM version will be available? I bet it's too pricey, but before I make a final decision, I'd love to know what I am up against!
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to echo Miserere and recommend the Tamron 28-85 F2.8. It is a really really fine lens and I too have found not much difference between 24mm and 28mm. I own the Sigma 17-70 and while it is a nice lens, I actually reserve it strictly for travel. I may even sell it.

NaCl(the Tamron is my single most used zoom)H2O
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
This is all good stuff to consider, thanks so much! I read the reviews on Amazon for the Cameta lens .. it didn't get great reviews, and it looks like most had to send it back to get a focusing issue resolved I was hoping it would be a nice, cheap option, but I think I'll pass ....

I haven't played w/ WA lenses yet, so I don't think the 24mm will bother me ...

Thanks again!
Hmmm... I see all those negative reviews on amazon and they mostly say Canon in the text somewhere. I never had any trouble with the focus when I had one, and I've heard many raves from other forum members. I believe some Canon models don't have AF motors on the camera and rely on lens motors for AF... The Canon focus issues with this lens may or may not be related to that... I dunno.

I don't know why I'm defending that lens, I guess it's just a good deal... It does get good reviews in the database here...
01-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I found the HSM on Amazon... Holy cow, that's a serious premium for HSM capability.
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

deludel how about the the Pentax DA 17-70. There was also the Pentax FA 24-90. It is an exceptional lens. You can find it in the Marketplace from time to time. One forum member had a new in box copy for sale.