Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lenses, lenses, and more lenses, a camera (or 2) and a camera bag?

All,

Perhaps I am the only one with this problem, but...

I recently purchased a couple of new lenses (to me at least!) that I look forward to trying out at the next indoor sporting event (basketball or Tae Kwon Doe competition), so this is what I would like to bring....

1. Camera (K10D)
2. Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
3. Sigma 28-70 F/2.8
4. FA 50mm f/1.4 (this is the lens I have been using at these events this year - does great, but sometimes the foot zooming thing is not acceptable ).
5. Maybe my old camera (K100D) if I don't want to mess with changing lenses.

Are there camera bags out there to hold this? Especially a larger lens like the Tamron? I have done some searching, and have seen a few 2 camera bags, but they seem pretty expensive, and if you add a large lens..?? I have also seen padding you can buy and build your own interier.

Thoughts?

01-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

One bag I'm eyeing is the Crumpler 7 Million dollar bag (it doesn't actually cost $7 million dollars.... I hope!!).

It's pretty big and would most likely carry all you're looking for. But the Tamron 70-200mm seems a tad in the large side for even THAT bag. If pics I've seen of that lens are correct, it's about 11 inches long. I think you'd need a pretty deep bag for it.

OR... get a smaller bag and then a special lens bag for the 70-200mm?
01-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
But the Tamron 70-200mm seems a tad in the large side for even THAT bag. If pics I've seen of that lens are correct, it's about 11 inches long. I think you'd need a pretty deep bag for it.
The Tamron is 9 inches long... You would either need a fairly deep bag, or it will take up significant space laying horizontally.
01-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Attached is a link to the padding material I was referencing to "build your own" interier...

KTVGMD20 Kata Modi-Verse Kit 20, Modular Versatile Divider System

01-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Check out the Lowepro Slingshot 300. It is about $100 to $110 and there's a $25 mail in rebate available at the moment. ( if you're a Costco member, check out their site as they will include a waterbottle bag and a sliplock 30 pouch for free ($99 before rebate)).
01-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Domke F2

What about the good old Domke F2? (image linked from Tiffen website F-2 DOMKE'S ORIGINAL BAG/SAND - Tiffen.Com )

They can be had in pristine shape for about $80-100 on ebay, or $125 from B&H.
01-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What about the good old Domke F2? (image linked from Tiffen website F-2 DOMKE'S ORIGINAL BAG/SAND - Tiffen.Com )
+1 for the F2! I've been using this model since Jim Domke was making them one at a time by hand on his mother's kitchen table. One caveat -- my current one is black and it's DARK at the bottom. I think if I bought one today it'd be the olive drab version.

01-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #8

I have the 7mil from Crumpler and it fits my gear nicely.

Currently holds:
K100DS
Pentax FA50mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax DA18-55mm
Pentax DA35mm
Battery Charger
Misc. crap (extra batteries, cards, cleaning tools)
01-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
you can get the lowepro slingshot 300 at prodigital on ebay for 80 bux shipped right now which seems to be a good deal. I have the 200 and I like the slingshot format for short hikes/medium loads. I find it has been very convenient to be able to rotate the bag from my back to chest without taking the bag off. It also makes for a nice platform to change lenses, again without having to take the bag off. Normally, the 200 is plenty big for most lenses, but that tamron lens seems quite a bit longer than most at 9 inches... my 50-135 barely fits in the top compartment and it's 6 inches.

Just a warning though; if I load up my slingshot 200 fully (body, moderate zoom, wide zoom, macro lens, low-light prime, filters etc, and maybe a flash), I wouldn't want to be hauling it around for more than a couple hours. And if strenuous hiking will be involved, I'd get a backpack model just so the weight is not resting on a single shoulder. I can only imagine that the larger slingshot 300 fully loaded would be too much for a single shoulder (at least mine anyway).

For around 100 bux, you can get backpack models from lowepro on the prodigital site also, but for around 50, you can get a Canon backpack which I also own. pretty solid, plenty of space for what you have and you'll have room to grow. it's been great for when I want 2 bodies or a wider variety of lenses. but it does not have a water-resistant cover like the lowepro, nor is it as easy to get other lenses on your camera.
01-04-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the slingshot 200 ... and looking at it ... it's fit the Tammy 70-200 in it fairly easily by the looks of it.

And it takes a ton of smaller lenses ... and so much room for accessories.

I have 1 body in mine ... and 9 lenses in it ... well 10 if you count the one mounted on the body. (Mostly primes though)
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Lowepro Slingshot 300 easily swallows your equipment and has some room to spare. Besides my Sigma 70-200/2.8 - which should be about the same size as the Tamron – it can even take the 50-500, which is no mean feast. The second body could go into the upper compartment during transport or you may rearrange the padding in a matching way.

Other bags in my collection, that are big enough for your equipment:
- Billingham 335 (not to mention the 450/550)
- Lowepro Nova 4 AW

I use the Nova 4 with an added waist belt, which really makes carrying much more comfortable, even for long periods and over longer distances.

Ben
01-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
+1 for the F2! I've been using this model since Jim Domke was making them one at a time by hand on his mother's kitchen table.
I agree, in fact I still use one of those original F2s. It's a bit ugly looking, kinda beat up and has some stains but it is stil solid throughout with no tears or rips but it does the job superbly. The really nice thing about my ugly, old F2 is no one would ever guess the value of the gear it holds!