Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2023, 06:23 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are the Auto-Takumar and Super-Takumar Lens Elements Interchangeable?

Hi All,

I ran a risk and bought myself an Auto-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 'Zebra'... sight unseen.

The front element has mold etched into the lens element.
It looks to me that the mold is only on the outer side of the front element and the others are unscathed.

I have both a Super-Tak 55 1.8 and a SMC Tak 55 1.8.
I've heard that all three share the exact same lens elements.

Does this mean they are interchangeable?
Should I be able to dissemble the Auto- and replace it with a Super- and the lens would just slip in like a glove?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attached Images

05-09-2023, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens elements are the most likely to be interchangeable, but they certainly did not make any effort to have interchangeable parts, especially for older lenses. I have a couple of later Auto-Takumar 55/1.8s, the ones that are pretty much Super-Taks. They look the same externally but several parts vary inside. Even the aperture blades are just slightly different. But grinding the elements is much more work than making metal parts.
05-09-2023, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #3

The coatings should be different as reflecting in the names. While the basic optical formulas might be the same there may have been tweaks done to the optics.
05-18-2023, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #4

Not the 55 but might be of interest

I’ve just disassembled a Super Takumar, A Super Multi Coated Takumar and an SMC Pentax-M. All 50mm f1.4s to attempt to replace the central front element in the Super MC Tak which had fungal ‘etched’ smear in its centre which affected performance. I can confirm that in these 3 lenses the optics are definitely different. The Super Tak element was too thick and resulted in the front element hitting it on assembly. The Pentax-M element was thinner and a lot lighter ( I should have weighed them really ) but it fitted so I tried it. Image quality became awful though with massive amount of CA. So I’m on the lookout for another Super MC Tak donor which has other defects but a usable central front element at a bargain basement price. I know it’s not the same lens you are working on but it might save you from wasting time and money like I have.

05-19-2023, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #5

Different glass formulas would need adjustments to curvature and thickness of the lenses even if the basic optical formula (e.g. number of lenses, groups, positions) is unchanged