Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2023, 06:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Any update on the new telephoto zoom HD Pentax-D FA 65-320/4-5,6 ED DC AW ???

anyone anything and when and for how much and what for all that

Last edited by mbukal; 05-11-2023 at 06:28 AM.
05-11-2023, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There is no such thing on the horizon.
05-11-2023, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it comes, it would likely be DFA 70-300 f4.5-f6.3. Likely WR (not AW) and I would think that Pentax would try to make it PLM if possible. Rumors were that it would have in lens stabilization as well.

As to when it comes out, who knows? The same with the price. I would guess 800-ish dollars though -- athough Sony's 70-300 variable aperture lens seems to be 1000 dollars.
05-11-2023, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is no such thing on the horizon.
if I reduce the range to 70-300mm and leave the specified aperture f4-5.6, I replace AW with RW and possibly DC with PLM, maybe then there is light on the horizon I don't ask about the price, because I was already told here on the forum that I want cheap lenses that Pentax doesn't make anymore, but I would like them to make the telephoto zoom that I mentioned.

I wouldn't want to reduce the range because Pentax has experience with telezoom lenses and 65mm and 320mm, and anyway there is talk of some kind of strange lens, even if stabilization in the lens body is added to that millimeter size, here is a strange Pentax lens that has never been made before

Last edited by mbukal; 05-11-2023 at 07:11 AM.
05-11-2023, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
if I reduce the range to 70-300mm and leave the specified aperture f4-5.6, I replace AW with RW and possibly DC with PLM, maybe then there is light on the horizon I don't ask about the price, because I was already told here on the forum that I want cheap lenses that Pentax doesn't make anymore, but I would like them to make the telephoto zoom that I mentioned.
That light is likely due to thunder and lightning on the very far horizon or due to the smash hit that Ricoh releases a new lens with OIS that will not work with any camera they now have in their collection. (it means the camera must be capable of dual OIS which you usually find in Mirrorless ones and where it is highly effective when using the back LCD.)
05-11-2023, 07:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
That light is likely due to thunder and lightning on the very far horizon or due to the smash hit that Ricoh releases a new lens with OIS that will not work with any camera they now have in their collection. (it means the camera must be capable of dual OIS which you usually find in Mirrorless ones and where it is highly effective when using the back LCD.)
never say never, would say Bond, James Bond (and my little one)

so I'm trying to find out any information about the lens in question from anyone, and there is silence about him as if "omerta" had occurred.

Last edited by mbukal; 05-11-2023 at 07:21 AM.
05-11-2023, 07:58 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have heard that Ricoh is aiming for an early release, even before the release of K1 IV.
So possibly not later than 2035.

05-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's still on the roadmap, fwiw.

Overall the lack of new lenses to the roadmap, and to current production is frustrating to me. There are a slew of excellent SLR lens designs from Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina that Pentax could probably obtain or license very inexpensively (given the declining market overall in SLR lenses) to rapidly broaden the range.
05-11-2023, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
anyone anything and when and for how much and what for all that
No, nothing did change since the thread about the D-FA 70-300mm one years ago:
HD Pentax-D FA 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED PLM WR SR & HD Pentax-DA★ 50-135mm f/2.8 ED PLM - PentaxForums.com
05-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregL564 Quote
It's still on the roadmap, fwiw.

(...)
Since February 2017. More than six years ago.

So are the Standard Zoom and the Tele Zoom on the '645 Mount Lens Line Up'. Since October 2012.

Between November 2018 and September 2022 there has been a flurry of patent applications and divisional applications totalling 20 numerical examples of what would be commercially named HD Pentax-D FA 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SR.

Any lens corresponding to one of these patent applications would have been launched months, if not years ago. This didn't happen. Either Ricoh Imaging went back to the drawing board (*) or the project is suspended indefinitely.

(*) At some point it was whispered that they were experiencing difficulties in making the lens's optical stabilisation and the camera's sensor stabilisation properly work in tandem, these difficulties possibly being linked to the required data transfer rates between body and lens (and vice-versa) being higher than what the communication protocols of the KAF4 mount could allow.

Last edited by Mistral75; 05-11-2023 at 03:33 PM.
05-20-2023, 10:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

(*) At some point it was whispered that they were experiencing difficulties in making the lens's optical stabilisation and the camera's sensor stabilisation properly work in tandem, these difficulties possibly being linked to the required data transfer rates between body and lens (and vice-versa) being higher than what the communication protocols of the KAF4 mount could allow.

Are there previous examples of lenses for DSLR (not mirrorless) systems with dual lens+body stabilization? Maybe it's something relatively easy to implement with a mirrorless system only ? (Just speculating).
05-20-2023, 11:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Are there previous examples of lenses for DSLR (not mirrorless) systems with dual lens+body stabilization? Maybe it's something relatively easy to implement with a mirrorless system only ? (Just speculating).
I don’t think so, it won’t be easy, but I see no reason why not. Maybe they want to present a new camera with IBIS and OIS at the same time.

The lens is on the roadmap for quite some time.
The weird lens is the classic 1.4/50
05-21-2023, 01:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Are there previous examples of lenses for DSLR (not mirrorless) systems with dual lens+body stabilization? (...)
AFAIK there isn't any. There have been few DSLRs with in-body stabilisation: Olympus, Pentax, Sony. None of their OEM lenses has OIS. The only compatible lenses with OIS have been third-party lenses (Sigma, Tamron). OIS has to be deactivated when using IBIS and vice versa.

(...)Maybe it's something relatively easy to implement with a mirrorless system only ? (Just speculating).
A dual stabilisation requires high-speed communication between body and lens, otherwise the two stabilisations "fight" against each other. Concerning SLRs, data transmission protocols are quite old, dating back to the late 1980s / early 1990s (apart from the late Contax N mount). Mirrorless mount are more recent, of course, with presumably faster data communication protocols. Canon stated for instance that the data throughput of the RF mount is eight times faster than the data throughput of the EF mount.

One can therefore imagine it's the comparative novelty of the corresponding mount that makes it easier to implement a dual stabilisation with a mirrorless system, not the "mirrorlessness" of such a system.
05-21-2023, 05:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

IMO a dual stabilisation system is limited in its usefullness. With more than 4-5 stops of stabilisation shutter often get too slow that you have to worry about things like motion blur. And with todays cameras that can easiiy handle ISO 3200 it is not often I would need it.

I would prefer to see a lens within a year; rathet than having to wait for 5+ years for a camera/lens combo with dual stabilisation to be available. For ne it would be enough if the OS could stabilise the viewfinder and then have the option to use OS or IBIS for image capture on future cameras when using OS lenses. Not both at the same time.
05-22-2023, 03:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am an advocate of choice in the selection of lenses according to the needs of use in the capacity of: professional / advanced amateur hobbyist / complete amateur beginner, stating that Pentax cannot serve its users nearly as well, I am labeled here as one who is looking for "cheap" Pentax lenses and that's not what Pentax does anymore, with the reincarnation of some FA lenses, Pentax still gives its users "cheap" lenses, so it's probably trying to achieve that streak below to continue that streak with its new design HD Pentax-D FA 65-320/4-5 ,6 ED DC AW, but dear brother too long and too slow to keep old users especially to get new ones.
Yesterday, as an amateur, I took photos with the K1+Tokina ATXPROSV 28-70/2.8+ AF540FGZll 1st communion in the church and I see a professional with a small mirrorless Nikon body that he uses via adapter with 70-200/2.8, it looked funny to me, but he with that combination works professionally

Last edited by mbukal; 05-22-2023 at 05:17 AM.