Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2023, 08:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA 18-135mm WR - possible home clean?

I've boight my K-70 (or maybe K-50?) with this lens as a kit. One day I decided to test its weather seals and went shooting in a rain. Little I knew about the construction of my lens, I trusted that "WR" means nothing can get inside of it.

Unfortunatelly, since formentioned shooting session, there is a relatively big piece of a dust inside the lens. It gets visible on pictures quite early, from ~5.6/7.1 aperture. Is there any chances I could clean it myself? I've been looking for youtube videos on how to disassemble this lens, but there are no videos like this. There is alsno nothing in Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com .

I have some experience with unscrewing things plus I have some manual skills, but not sure about WR lens (or modern lens in general). If it's relatively easy, I'd like to give it a try (I love to learn new things) but definitely gonna need some assistance (totrial/guidelines). Can you share your experience so I can decide between self cleaning or professional cleaning services?

05-11-2023, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depending where it is, it might require minimal disassembly or a complete disassembly. If it’s on the frontal element it tends to be easier, as you can access by unscrewing the nameplate.
05-11-2023, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure the dust is in or on the lens? It could be a dirty sensor. Easy to rule out - does it show up using a different lens?
05-11-2023, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The 18-135 is pretty dust resistant. I've had mine in many dirty, wet, windy conditions. Can you physically see the dust in the lens? If it's just in the pictures, I'm with paulh, it's maybe on the sensor, which is quite common.

05-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If it’s on the frontal element it tends to be easier, as you can access by unscrewing the nameplate.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Can you physically see the dust in the lens?
I think it is the one on pictures I posted here. I believe this is the one marked with green marker. Blue marker tells the lens on which I THINK it is located (not sure is it front or back of the glass, though).

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
does it show up using a different lens?
No, other lenses seems not to be affected.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by pevik; 05-11-2023 at 03:11 PM. Reason: remove duplicated quote
05-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
And resulting image is this (green marker for the dust, red marker is probably a dirty sensor)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
05-11-2023, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is my understanding that dust INSIDE a lens doesn't show on a photo, but will result in loss contrast if it is very bad. The dust you showed doesn't seem all that abnormal, and if it was my lens, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the lens can't focus inside itself, so it is more likely that the dust on the image is from the sensor, not he lens. I am no expert so, I may be corrected, but that is how I understand it. Hope this helps, and good luck!

05-11-2023, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pevik Quote
And resulting image is this (green marker for the dust, red marker is probably a dirty sensor)
That dust in the front element won't show up in the final image. Those aberrations will only show up the further you go toward the sensor. You may just have a dirty sensor. You can do a visual inspection first and then clean it properly afterwards. If you are not comfortable with that, you can just have it serviced.

Regarding WR, yes it's pretty dust resistant as long as it is paired with the body. Dust ingress in these types of lenses usually come from the rear when they are not mounted. So it's possible that there is a concern with the storage of the lens for dust to infiltrate the groups.

Anyway, you don't have to worry about opening a modern lens as plenty of the components are glued. Have your sensor cleaned and make sure to store the lens in a vacuum as much as possible. Cheers.
05-12-2023, 12:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the answers, I'll proceed with sensor cleaning and then (if still needed) try to clean the lens.
05-13-2023, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is what the others said. Dust in the lens won't produce that sort of issue on the photo. That is sensor dust. Dust in the lens could produce a little bit of flare if you shoot right into the sun, but otherwise you can have amazingly dirty glass and not have it show up in images.
05-14-2023, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
As said by many, it was dirty sensor. Thanks for explanation, I'm glad I asked you all!