Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2023, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I bought it because I truly believed that I would be able to get a K-1 II J Limited from Japan while my friend visited. That fell through for now. I'll rent a K-1 II from lensrentals and test this one out.

I will EVENTUALLY get a FF Pentax.
Sorry that Japan buy didn't work out. I know you've been after that camera for a while now. The 28-105 is fine on APS-c, but impresses more on the K1. Don't get rid of it.

05-16-2023, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Uh... ? I can do electric shutter, but what is the rest?
Electric shutter will cover all bases for your test

There is a lesser mode called mirror lock up MLU but ES is the best for static subject
05-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I just don't see the logic in buying a 28-105mm for an Apsc camera when there a good Da lenses with better field of view for those cameras, such as the Da 18-135mm. I love the lens for my K1 and haven't bought a D Fa 24-70mm because I just don't need another lens that is bigger in the same focal range as I have the 15-30mm, 70-200mm & just added the 150-450mm.

Ps I tried my new 150- 450mm in crop mode on my K1 and am super impressed using it in that mode.
If the user is okay with the focal lengths and likes the image quality, how is it a wrong answer? Some folks really like how this specific lens in question renders anyway.
05-16-2023, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I bought it because I truly believed that I would be able to get a K-1 II J Limited from Japan while my friend visited. That fell through for now. I'll rent a K-1 II from lensrentals and test this one out.

I will EVENTUALLY get a FF Pentax.
I venture to say you wont be truly happy with it until you do.... I'm under the understanding in Japan no one obtain a J Limited unless it is ordered and custom built.

This is it when it was pretty dark, notice the edge to edge on it and there was a slight breeze blowing. There is no sharpening done on this photo .. Tough to beat

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2oARE8u]_K121245[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/ocsurfrider/]Walter Holt[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-16-2023 at 08:19 AM.
05-16-2023, 09:17 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm under the understanding in Japan no one obtain a J Limited unless it is ordered and custom built.
Adding: Only a Japanese person can order and have custom built. I could go over there with a suitcase full of cash and I would still not get a J Limited.
05-16-2023, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holding out for one of the special K-1's will definitely result in good things instead of just getting on and starting to use it.
05-16-2023, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Star Test is another good test . Tripod helps.

Take it out somewhere dark under clear skies, manually focus it for the tiniest sharpest stars. Check the corners - if there is distortion, it should be the same amount in each corner.
Find a bright star, move it in the centre of the sensor, and defocus slightly on both sides of focus. You should get a symmetrical round pattern. If it's oval or oblong, then there's a problem.

Venus is up in the early evening - it will resolve to a small round white disc.

05-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Adding: Only a Japanese person can order and have custom built. I could go over there with a suitcase full of cash and I would still not get a J Limited.
Yes that is my understanding also. Regardless I don't need a special color I am well beyond happy with my K1 mkll and my choice of lenses I use with it.

---------- Post added 05-16-23 at 02:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If the user is okay with the focal lengths and likes the image quality, how is it a wrong answer? Some folks really like how this specific lens in question renders anyway.
And just where did I state anything about her having a wrong answer? I do believe I expressed an opinion that I didn't see the logic when there are better choices for field of view made for Apsc cameras.
Please read correctly and don't not call me out for things I do not state. I have a perfectly clear command of the English language and composition...
05-16-2023, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a photo of something detailed at various distances and apertures. Make sure autofocus seems to work well and isn't severely back or front focusing.

Decentering is going to be harder to check for since that impacts more at the edges of the frame, which might not be obvious on APS-C. Since these are sample lenses there is a chance they got dropped or handled roughly and that might not have shown up depending on how thoroughly Pentax inspects them before listing them on sale.

If you still live in Madison like your profile says I live just a few hours drive from there (if you're going toward Minneapolis/St Paul anytime soon I'm not much out of the way) and have a K-1 you could test it on.
05-16-2023, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Regardless I don't need a special color
I do. I literally have no other vices. None. I want a Viridian K-1 II. I am aware it is the same as a black one, or a black and gold, black and silver, and red one.

---------- Post added 05-16-23 at 14:24 ----------

I do believe I expressed an opinion that I didn't see the logic when there are better choices for field of view made for Apsc cameras.
This thread was a spin off of this one so there was a valid reason to get THIS exact lens for a potential FF camera. The FF camera that I wanted was not possible at this time. So this current thread is advice on "what now"?
05-16-2023, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just don't see the logic in buying a 28-105mm for an Apsc camera when there a good Da lenses with better field of view for those cameras, such as the Da 18-135mm.
I understand your point of view, but it all depends on your photographic field of interest in my opinion.

For architectural photography for instance, does the DA 18-135mm lens certainly have benefits over the 28-105mm focal range, although even 18mm can be too narrow for that sometimes.

A more limited focal range can be an advantage too sometimes. I don't own the 28-105mm lens, but I often take either my F 35-70mm, F 35-80mm or F 35-105mm lens for mountaineering, hiking and climbing, precisely because it is a normal to short telephoto field of view.
When I use zoom lenses I tend to get lazy sometimes, especially when just taking snapshots of my companions, I just try to fit everyone into the frame (first by zooming and when I hit the limit by stepping back) and take the image. This can lead to some unpleasantly distorted images when using a lens that starts at 18mm, so you have to allways be aware of your current focal lenght, when my lens starts with a normal field of view I don't have to worry about that at all.
And when I desire a wider field of view I can stitch multiple images together in post, as landscapes tend to be very forgiving when it comes to stitching errors.

Last edited by othar; 05-16-2023 at 02:17 PM.
05-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

This thread was a spin off of this one so there was a valid reason to get THIS exact lens for a potential FF camera. The FF camera that I wanted was not possible at this time. So this current thread is advice on "what now"?
Well you do have a top of the line Apsc that for the format to date you can't get any better. I held off getting a K1 because I thought I was happy with the apsc flagship models but coming from Olympus I've always missed having an articulating screen. I wasn't about to step away from the features of Pentax apsc flagship models I am used to for the other Pentax apsc cameras that offer one. So when the K1 mkll came out I got one, the format and everything about the camera was exactly what I have been looking for in digital cameras. Yes the camera is heavier and the lenses are bigger and heavier but I don't mind it at all because of how satisfied I am with my output from it. Besides if I want or feel the need for the FOV of apsc I just put it in crop mode and I am satisfied with 15-16mp photos. If I need more resolution I'll just super res them in post.

So "what now", that strictly depends on what your personal reasoning is for wanting to step into the realm of full frame. No one can answer that for you, any persons answers will be biased on what they use and like, just like mine.
05-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh nice, mine showed a little bit ago. First impressions of it are positive. Definitely seems to be in good condition.
05-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Oh nice, mine showed a little bit ago. First impressions of it are positive. Definitely seems to be in good condition.
I am about to unpack mine
05-16-2023, 04:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Uh... ? I can do electric shutter, but what is the rest?
ES will do it.

But one of the self timer / mirror lockup modes would to.

---------- Post added 05-16-23 at 04:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
I would be amazed if composition adjust can move the aps-c sensor all the way to the Full-Frame equivalent corners....but it allows indeed to move outside normal aps-c image but only slight.
That would be several millimetres and allow earth quake resistant SR on aps-c...
if you want to rest the lens for Full-Frame, you need a K1....
Sorry didn't meant to imply that composition adjust would get close to FF corners. I think it moves 1-2 mm in each direction. If a lens is decentred that might make it easier to see. If think of damaged lens scenarios, there's "too slight to see on FF", "slight but visible on FF, not really on APS-C", and "enough to be seen on APS-C" I think the chance of getting on in the middle are pretty small. But the only way to be sure something is OK with "X" is to test with "X"