Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2023, 02:34 AM   #1

Any information on the "Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens" from roadmap?

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if the question is naive.

Here's the link to the roadmap: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

I don't generally keep up with roadmaps, and I also know the release-pace of Ricoh/Pentax (which is not necessarily a bad thing for me)

But the lens mentioned is would be very interesting for me: it seems a fast prime in the 26-to-40mm range. Googling around didnt provide any further information in addition to what the roadmap states.

Currently I use the 20-40 as my normal lens on my K3iiiM, but in general I don't enjoy zooms much, and in addition, standard zooms usually have slow apertures (the exception being the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 but that lens seems unpredictable on Pentax, especially regarding focusing.)

The small size, WR, gentle rendering and low purchase price make me quite forgiving of the 20-40, but itf a fast WR or AW prime becomes available, that would be a good time to trade in

Last edited by Sjak; 05-16-2023 at 02:45 AM.
05-16-2023, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I'm aware, the roadmap is the only information we have.

I reckon the best bet is on a DFA* 35/1.4 to complete the classic trio with the 50 and 85. Expect it to be exceptionally well corrected and AW sealed, but large, heavy and expensive.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-16-2023 at 03:09 PM.
05-16-2023, 03:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! Like you, I'm indeed not expecting a cheap lens, but that's not really a problem. If it suits my purpose, I can sell some other stuff to dampen the financial impact.
05-16-2023, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As far as I'm aware, the roadmap is the only information we have.

I reckon the best bet is on a DFA* 35/1.4 to complete the classic trilogy with the 50 and 85. Expect it to be exceptionally well corrected and AW sealed, but large, heavy and expensive.
That looks like the most logical guess.. They don't want to be too close to the 31, and 28 or 35 are classic focal lengths. The position of the stripe is centred on about 35mm so 28 is a remote possibility 35 is more likely. It's yellow, so * designated (not a new limited). It's on the Full-frame list so DFA* or FA* (but FA instead of DFA would be very odd for a new lens),
Weather sealed, in-lens motor and KAF4 electronic aperture would all seem to be a given if it is joining the DFA* 50 and 85 (which both have the higher AW sealing, rather than WR found in the DFA limited 21 and D-FA 70-210 f/4 no * )

There's a sigma Art lens in this range, with a wide aperture. And according to the KMP page there is a very rare m-series 35mm f/1.4 and it says specifically large aperture, which implies wider than f/2 at least.

I would like to see the DA* telephotos getting an update - the 200 is now discontinued but none of the "recoats" from SMC to HD were trailed on the road map. Really this needs to get update to the newest motor and AW sealing so it's a bit more than a recoat but not a whole new design. I'd also like to see a fast DFA* 135 SDM WR.
Maybe even see the the FA 28 back in production with an HD coating for the film camera as a low cost option for the film camera.

But the two lenses still on the roadmap have been there since 2018. Everything else on the 2018 roadmap has, I think, been delivered except for a full frame fisheye zoom which has been dropped. And it look fair length of time from naming lenses to shipping them. So I wouldn't hold my breath for these.

05-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I reckon the best bet is on a DFA* 35/1.4 to complete the classic trilogy with the 50 and 85. Expect it to be exceptionally well corrected and AW sealed, but large, heavy and expensive.
That might get me to give up on the K 35/2 that I have really fallen for especially for astro. Although a similarly fast modern 28mm would be nice as for astro I am still using the old S-M-C 28/23.5 tak as it is better than newer Pentax 28/2.8 lenses for astro and I would really like to run faster than F/4 where that lens peaks for astro while the A 28/2.8 needs f/5.6 and still isn't as good at astro as the old S-M-C 28/3.5 tak.
05-16-2023, 05:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by James O'Neill Quote
according to the KMP page there is a very rare m-series 35mm f/1.4
I don't think anyone has even seen this lens, it stands along with the mythically rare 20mm f/1.4
05-17-2023, 11:28 AM   #7

Can,t wait. Got a Nikon Ai 35mm 1.4 converted for 60 pounds and looks Nice

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-17-2023, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #8

and How it been mounted on a Pentax Full Frame DSLR
Attached Images

05-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cnarchitect Quote
Can,t wait. Got a Nikon Ai 35mm 1.4 converted for 60 pounds and looks Nice
Nice!
For APSC, the +/- 26-40mm range is my sweetspot, and really looking forward to a fast AW or WR prime in that range. I think I'll get an FA 35 for the time being, it's a lens with hardly any faults as far as I could figure out from reviews and online images.
05-17-2023, 04:56 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sjak Quote
Nice!
For APSC, the +/- 26-40mm range is my sweetspot, and really looking forward to a fast AW or WR prime in that range. I think I'll get an FA 35 for the time being, it's a lens with hardly any faults as far as I could figure out from reviews and online images.
It's a good lens (I have it) but you should really consider the FA31 Limited - it's magnificent. And no bigger really than your 20-40 is now.
05-17-2023, 11:54 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's a good lens (I have it) but you should really consider the FA31 Limited - it's magnificent. And no bigger really than your 20-40 is now.
I've considered it, but it's more than I'm willing to spend right now on a non-WR-lens. But I'm currently trying to sell some stuff, that could change the equation
05-18-2023, 06:35 AM   #12
sbc
Pentaxian

I too think it would most likely be a 35mm f1.4 but it would be a pleasant surprise if it turns out to be a 28mm. Don't see that focal length that often anymore.
05-18-2023, 05:52 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sjak Quote
I've considered it, but it's more than I'm willing to spend right now on a non-WR-lens. But I'm currently trying to sell some stuff, that could change the equation
I think you can do that, buy it secondhand, and when the big, new, more costly lens comes out, sell it then for I'm guessing not much different, because it's iconic.

Consider any difference your rent of the lens in the meantime!
05-19-2023, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Many here are waiting for the roadmap lens. To be in line with the two new DFA* primes, expect a f/1.4 for around 2k $/€ loaded with all features that will make it shine, but also pricey. While the DFA* 50 fits nicely on K3iii a large aperture wide angle will feel quite big. Totally different to an old Nikkor, …by all means.
05-20-2023, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

35mm f1.4 would be very useful on aps-c as well. Most likely too expensive for my wallet but who knows.
By the time this rumor hits the market I could be way richer